The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TrailBoss Pleasure Cart?

http://www.grahamcarriageworks.com/g..._works_007.htm

I know I'm nowhere near ready for a cart yet, but... I'm doing research.

Yeah, that's it.

Research.

Any opinions? I found this site after looking up HyperBike when it was mentioned on another thread here. Didn't find anything here on COTH about the TrailBoss.
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

from all Ive ever heard Graham has a reputation for building good solid vehicles

looks comfy for a pony sized vehicle

Thanks, Drive NJ.

I really like the looks of the HyperBike, but I'd love to be able to take the grandbabies for rides at some point (assuming the pony becomes sufficiently non-feral before they get too big!). The TrailBoss seems like it might be a reasonable alternative. Small enough that I could easily handle it myself, but big enough to carry a wee child beside me.

One caution... in the pictures of that carriage there is a tiny mini that is not well turned out so don't use that as your image of where you want to be. The little paint's harness is not fitted properly and the cart appears too big and front heavy.

Looks better on the bigger pony. If you can, try to see some video of ponies about your pony's size driving the thing before buying long-distance. Some carts aren't well balanced and put a lot of weight downward on the shafts even when loaded. Some balance when loaded and you just need to deal with the front heaviness when moving it about unloaded.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

RAR:
    I am soooo glomming onto your posts here.
    I live through you & Panda right now.

Sounds like a good cart for me & the K-pony...when we reach that point.

DriveNJ:
    Kouma is a solid 12h Hackney - so you think the Trailboss would be a good fit?

sure looks comfy......
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

RAR, Anyone who has done business with Graham Carriage Works will tell you that Bob Graham is an incredible human being who is completely dedicated to his customers' satisfaction. He goes way beyond what is necessary to make certain you are happy with his product and that it is the right cart for you. He is an engineer, a boy scout, and a former soldier, and his carts reflect his mindset. Get in touch and talk with him about what you're looking for -- it's well worth your time.

I own a HyperBike, and the only possible complaint is that I can't take a passenger.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Quote Originally Posted by susanne View Post
    He is an engineer, a boy scout, and a former soldier, and his carts reflect his mindset.
    I loff him already!

Thanks for the recommendation ;-)

Sorry for the poorly turned out pony. When we were putting the site together it was amazing how few pictures we had to choose from.

While we do prefer the larger mini with the TrailBoss, Smaller ones do work well too. Its weight is comparable to a Pacific and its balance is superb. It is available in two sizes for mini and pocket pony up to 12.5H.

We had pulled it from our production line up a few years back because our wheel maker decided to stop making that wheel. We have another source now and are back in action.

This rig has been pounding trails for over 18 years now and is extremely durable and comfortable. Comfort wise, I sincerely doubt there is a rig today that is more comfortable which includes a very large foot box that allows you to stretch out and relax on the trail.

Our primary focus is on the trail market and we build to that standard. While its important to have a rig that will get you there, its more important to have one that will bring you back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by carriage View Post
    Our primary focus is on the trail market and we build to that standard. While its important to have a rig that will get you there, its more important to have one that will bring you back as well.
    No argument from me there!

Can you please provide a quick run-down of the features that make this a trail vehicle, as opposed to a road/arena vehicle?

Also - would it be appropriate for a 10.2-ish hand pony?

Quote Originally Posted by Drive NJ View Post
    from all Ive ever heard Graham has a reputation for building good solid vehicles

looks comfy for a pony sized vehicle
    Looks solid and it looks heavy. I had to look at it a bit as I thought it looked like a wheelchair and thought it might be for a handicapped person. I would make sure on the weight. Those poor pony's needn't pull anymore than they have to.

The weight of the Trail Boss is 100 lbs for minis, 120 lbs for small ponies.

Compared with most mini carts, that's not heavy at all for those "poor ponies." A mini easy entry cart weighs approx. 90 lbs. A MiniCrown weighs just under 120. A mini Pacific Smart Cart -- up from there.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

I know this cart is made for trails, but is there any reason it couldn't be used for training level CDEs including dressage also? It is adjustable for balance and looks comfortable. I am looking for a good all around cart for a small pony (about 11.3H).

Default TrailBoss

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
    No argument from me there!

Can you please provide a quick run-down of the features that make this a trail vehicle, as opposed to a road/arena vehicle?

Also - would it be appropriate for a 10.2-ish hand pony?
    Well,..... It would be ideal for both. I don't know all the rules for all the venue's, but I am unaware of why the TrailBoss can't be used in any venue.
    As I previously mentioned we decided to focus on the largest market, Trail drivers. In my opinion, a good CDE vehicle should also be a competent trail vehicle. One spends alot of money on a good vehicle to reserve it only to combined driveing events. Like a Morgan, it should be able to work all week and then go competing on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by China Doll View Post
    Looks solid and it looks heavy. I had to look at it a bit as I thought it looked like a wheelchair and thought it might be for a handicapped person. I would make sure on the weight. Those poor pony's needn't pull anymore than they have to.
    Yes emphasis on "looks" heavy. Much of the "visual" weight can be attributed to its fabric overlay of a hand fitted steel frame. Yes it is VERY solid. We rate the frame at 1000lb carry capacity. We have had a pile of people in/on the rig totaling 700lbs. Done in Salem many years ago, we were all getting a ride back to our cars after an AMHA event and being pulled by a 33" mini. No we do NOT make a habit of doing this. But the visual for all watching at the time stuck in their brains... A number of years back a gal named Colleen competed in Combined driving and literally cleaned up with a TrailBoss and a smallish A mini. We've been at this dance for a while....

The weight is as has been stated. For us, this is an old tech cart at this point. Still however, in many categories, it IS a top layer rig specific to comfort durability and flexibility. Many of the cutting edge things we did all those years ago have now become standard equipment on current rigs for mini's built by other mfr's.
    Yes we get the wheelchair comment alot. We don't do things like everybody or even anybody else. We do all of our own development work and try new things that have never been done before. As such our products will look different. But the important thing, to us, is what the horse thinks, not looking like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljane View Post
    I know this cart is made for trails, but is there any reason it couldn't be used for training level CDEs including dressage also? It is adjustable for balance and looks comfortable. I am looking for a good all around cart for a small pony (about 11.3H).
    Not to my knowledge Jane. Their is an outside chance (fingers crossed here) that we may have a wheel that will go above training level. We have not tried it out yet and are still looking at compatibility between an airless and pneumatic set-up with an eye towards quick interchangeability like on the HyperBike.

So would it likely work on a 10.2 - 10.3 hand pony?

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
    So would it likely work on a 10.2 - 10.3 hand pony?
    Yes it would.

Bb
    Graham Carriage Works