The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Did you see Valegro go behind the vertical ? At all ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

IMO her hands have a contact but are in a forward direction... I really liked the way how she did the extended walk. There are other riders with hands which never ever have a forward direction.....
    I loved to watch this ride....

Wow, lovely. He looks like he is actually enjoying his job

They must have quite a partnership. The slow-mo extended trot is quite amazing, he is overtracking by a mile and looks like he is going on springs all the way through.

I didn't find myself holding my breath the way I do when watching many big-name riders muscle their horses around the arena.
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

This riders hands/arms are in the correct position. The correct position is a straight line from elbow to bit. They have it the entire ride. If she put her arms at a 90 degree "L", she would have a broken line.

"heaviness in the hands" is really not something you can judge from the ground. Nothing in this ride indicates to me that the horse may be heavy. In fact, he looks quite light and correct.

Had to start digging on this horse and rider as I don't usually keep up with show results/news. I thought this article had some sweet moments in it. Sad to see the plan is to eventually sell the horse, but we all have to pay bills I suppose.

What a lovely, lovely horse, and a good situation he's in.

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=14526
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

Quote Originally Posted by ponysize View Post
    If she put her arms at a 90 degree "L", she would have a broken line.
    Is there a school that says the elbow angle has to be 90 degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    Is there a school that says the elbow angle has to be 90 degrees?
    no, I was simply addressing some earlier comments. One person asked why her arms didn't have more of an "L" shape, if she raised her hands at all, which would make her arms look more like an "L", thus closer to a 90 degree angle, she breaks the line.

Thanks. I just carefully rewatched the video and observed that she rides with a relatively short rein length and allows for extended movements with the full extension of her arms.

i think more important than the shape of the arm is that the upper arm belongs to the rider and "should" stay with the trunk - the lower arm belongs to the horse and should go where needed to facilitate good connection.

"Long arms" is steadily becoming popular in the young horse divisions of europe as I am told. Its a sympathetic way for young horses to have the "help" they nees and has caught onto the more advanced for its quick aid ability as well as softening.

Why its so imperative to the less advanced rider also is tension and stress can almost be masked in a forward hand creating a habit that helps in stressful situations such as shows or tough venues.

Its hopefully a thing of our future since newer riders with hotter greener horses can really benifit from a seat like that
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Also there is tecnique here not just hand away. Shorter rein and the connection mostly outside with the barest of barest inside just light as a feather

Quote Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust View Post
    Had to start digging on this horse and rider as I don't usually keep up with show results/news. I thought this article had some sweet moments in it. Sad to see the plan is to eventually sell the horse, but we all have to pay bills I suppose.

What a lovely, lovely horse, and a good situation he's in.

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=14526
    What a lovely article about a great team of trainer, horse, rider and owners: thanks for posting. Loved some of the quotes, too, particularly Carl Hester (who ain't no slouch) saying Valegro was a nice old man's horse for him.

just a quick note: before anyone can do any "specialized" things they need to have a rock solid independent seat.

most folks never get that far so should stick with the tried and true classical seat

What a wonderful article. Carl sure seems like a gentleman! So sweet how he gets so much joy out of seeing his student compete possibly the best horse in the world right now. It says a lot about his character that he didn't take that horse back for himself to ride.

I agree mbm but too much of the "classical" has turned rigid hence the modernizing of the same... Nothing new under the sun but variations never hurt.

I am a long arm fan to the core being that ive seen it get horses that dont have the "gaits" to essentially blossom under the more forward hand.

Its the new old new but essentially a great thing IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ponysize View Post
    no, I was simply addressing some earlier comments. One person asked why her arms didn't have more of an "L" shape, if she raised her hands at all, which would make her arms look more like an "L", thus closer to a 90 degree angle, she breaks the line.
    I think you were addressing my comment, which was not talking about a strict 90% angle and a broken line from elbow to bit, but rather the elbow more back towards the body, allowing more bend in the arm while still having a straight line from elbow to bit, and thus also allowing the straightening of the arm at times to give to the horse, since when the arm's already rather straight, there's nowhere more to go

I did follow that up by saying how lovely a rider she is and what a fantastic ride that was to watch. I certainly wouldn't suggest Charlotte do anything differently from what she's doing here! I loved the whole thing. It was just something different to notice.

That horse is so cute. I love the way he looks into the crowd at the end. It's like he can't believe everybody is clapping for him. A really great ride, and a great test!!!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

classical is is just a standard riding theory - tested and improved on over hundreds of years by some of the best trainers in history.

It becomes "rigid" when applied badly or incorrectly or ignorantly.

Thumbs up

What a beautiful ride! The ones are so straight and effortless, and the whole test looked so harmonious.

For me the music actually took away from the ride! It was so lovely on it's own that I will probably watch again with the volume turned down.

I finally got to sit down and really watch it (again).

I think the pair is awesome. And adorable.

There are so many things that are correct with the pair it is remarkable to see.

Valegro carries his tail in a nice arch away from his body the way a well schooled horse should.

There are a few things, that if corrected, I think would just bring the brilliance of this pair out even more.

But, overall that was one great ride. So nice to see.