The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle Balance

In my continued search to find a saddle I rode in two used Prestige saddles this week.

The first was the Hunter Classic. I had a great position and balance in this saddle. However, the twist was way too wide.

The second was the Versailles model and as soon as I sat in it felt perfect. However, once I started working, I felt very tipped forward. I really loved the twist and how secure I felt in the seat! Also, I have to say I'm not so sure about the prestige leather either. It feels like plastic. I really do prefer grain leather!

Is the balance of the saddle why I felt tipped forward?

What other brand would be similar to the Versailles in the ways that I like?

TIA

You really can't discuss the balance of a saddle in general terms without considering the conformation of the horse you are putting it on. If the horse has a level back, many saddles will be balanced...an uphill or downhill build will change that situation.

Riders who ride many horses in one day normally will use one or two saddles, and just change up the pads to accommodate the conformation of a variety of horses.