The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Putting That Goal on the Shelf

I had set a goal to qualify for championships this year. Finally made it to a show today expecting to get some qualifying scores but pony had a different idea in mind.
    I swear this pony is capable of qualifying scores! We have worked our tails off perfecting strectchy circle, halt, canter transitions, trot transitions etc. etc. I'm not lying, really we go to clinics that have scary arenas, ride during thunder storms, in the dark, in the heat, in the cold etc. etc.
    Today I was just thankful to walk away with my life
    Pouting done thankyou for listening
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

I'm sorry. I have certainly BTDT too many times to count. It's really disappointing when you've put so much into it. I swear I have my herd of welsh cobs not to achieve my goals but to see if I can survive their sense of humor. Good luck with your future endeavors, I'm sure the hard work will be evident and others will recognize the accomplishments on another day...............like I'm doing, waiting for the stars to line up and the vortex to shift just so my stinker ponies will agree that "this day" is "the" day to give me that inch. LOL.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Thanks exvet! I had to stop and look at the positive judge's remarks to see that it was not all bad. Once she settles down and relaxes we will have those qualifying scores. It will probably not be this year but next and I will be okay with that.
    Dawn

Sorry that happened, and yep you can vent, and hopefully feel better after!

My horse had a previous career as an eventer, and we were schooling at a point where first level was super easy for him, so decided to try some shows. He proceeded to be a nut job. Turns out the secret to his quiet dressage tests while eventing was the 1 hour gallops in a cross country saddle beforehand.

From this I learned about weaknesses in my riding. I have spent the last year working on emulating the trainers who I see out there who always have a pleasant, peaceful ride - no matter how worked up the horse is before they start. I have been working with my trainer as well as clinics with folks who can help me really improve specific parts of the story (his tension problems and my less than effective position.) On a normal day, my horse is generous and honest and gives me more than I ask for, doing his very best. At shows he would get tense, and instead of returning the favor to him I would double and reflect the tension back at him due both to physical problems (my lower back was literally frozen in place) and position problems.

Instead of trying to qualify for any championships, I made the goal improving our partnership, both sides of it. Ultimately, what are your goals? I find correct work and moving on in our training far more important than scores or awards, and focusing on that has lessened any disappointment from lousy scores. When it comes down to it, the trouble my horse has given me with his tension has made me a better horsewoman and a better rider; for our long term goals, that is WAY more important than any awards!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

We have spent the last year going to clinics once a month working on the away from home tension that she has. She has been doing amazing so we thought we were ready to focus on getting to championships this year. I do need to adjust my focus to improving our partnership and the good scores will eventually follow. Thanks for the post, netg, it really helped me to stop and see that my focus is too much on getting to championships and not enough on improving my partnership with my pony
    Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by rizzodm View Post
    We have spent the last year going to clinics once a month working on the away from home tension that she has. She has been doing amazing so we thought we were ready to focus on getting to championships this year. I do need to adjust my focus to improving our partnership and the good scores will eventually follow. Thanks for the post, netg, it really helped me to stop and see that my focus is too much on getting to championships and not enough on improving my partnership with my pony
    There's no right or wrong. I just know for me, I find it leaves me happiest if I always keep the long term goals in mind, and consider the short term goals more flexible.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

And it never hurts to reread that bloopers thread... everyone's been there, and everyone knows what you're going through. There's nothing quite like that feeling of dropping $300 for a show and coming home sweaty, bruised, and ready to quit. And then that next closing date comes around and whammokerblammo you're back in the game.

In other news, I didn't get better at showing until I showed a lot. It didn't matter how many clinics I went to or how many lessons I took. Until I had gotten quite a few shows under my belt I was still a useless lump in the saddle as soon as I entered at A. And I promise, I'm usually effective at home. Usually.

So. It gets better, it's not easy, and we feel your pain!