The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeding with 5.0 ml Frozen Semen Straws

Hi, I had a quick question for any of you who might have used the larger semen straws. I purchased two breeding doses of frozen semen packaged in 5.0 ml straws. My mare is ready to be bred tomorrow and my vet wanted to use both of my straws (to breed the traditional 6 hrs before 6 hrs after ovulation) for this one cycle. I was hoping to use one dose this cycle and then if she doesn't take use my second dose for the next cycle. But, that would mean they would only be able to use the one huge dose at one time around ovulation because it cannot be split up as with the .5 ml straws. Any experiences with this?

Try to breed as close after ovulation as possible. If your vet is checking every six hours, then breeding will be no more than 6 hrs post-ovulation.

Okay, that is what I told him. To just use the one dose and he said that he would check her and breed as close to ovulation. He is used to working with a few of the .25 or .5 ml straws in a breeding dose, not the large straws. After I talked to him I was just second guessing myself...because I don't want to waste a breeding dose, but I don't want to hurt her chances of getting pregnant on just the one dose either :/

Quote Originally Posted by heidib690 View Post
    Okay, that is what I told him. To just use the one dose and he said that he would check her and breed as close to ovulation. He is used to working with a few of the .25 or .5 ml straws in a breeding dose, not the large straws. After I talked to him I was just second guessing myself...because I don't want to waste a breeding dose, but I don't want to hurt her chances of getting pregnant on just the one dose either :/
    Breeding with one dose is pretty much the industry standard. Using the timed insemination protocol was researched and is done in order to avoid having to check the mare every 6 hours. Unfortunately, it has reached the point for some techs to request/require two doses of semen in order to avoid that middle of the night check . Some will split a dose and will do the timed insemination by using a 1/2 dose, but the success rate "is" slightly lower than using two full doses. And the protocol is to wait for the mare to develop a 35 mm follicle, give an ovulation promoter (hCG, Deslorelin, etc.) breed 24 hours later and again 16 hours after that, thereby "bracketing" - hopefully - the ovulation.

By using one full dose with 6 hours of ovulation, you won't reduce your chances of a pregnancy - it is the benchmark

Good luck!
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity