The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question No tail hunter?

I just started leaseing an appaloosa mare. She is a beatifull mover and has good jumping form! Shes a leopard appaloosa too! But I'm a little worried about her tail or lack of tail, she doesnt have any really the hair stops right after the tail bone and shes rubbed the top so that it's bald. Theres not even enough hair to braid in a fake tail! I'm hoping to show her this summer in schooling shows, will her tail effect how the judges place her? Also, does anyone have any tips for getting her rubbed bald part of her tail to grow back? Any help is appreciated!(:

I don't suppose you could fashion it into a mud knot? Then braid the mane and announce to anyone who questions it that you intended for that look.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Mud knots were all the rage! Start it back up. I love them!

I am big fan of Appaloosas for lots of reasons, one of them being their jumping ability, and their quick wit!

The traditional Appy didn't have much tail, it would be sparse, and with diligent care would grow long, but rarely full.

If the tail bone is rubbed raw, there could be a myriad of reasons. I would certainly talk to her owner about what things are approriate for you to do. Sensitive horses can have adverse reactions to shampoos and ointments, and you don't want to have to explain to an owner that you blistered her horses tail by trying to take care of it.

Some of those reasons could be dirty teats, internal or external parasites, a sweet itch type fungus or a photosensitvity type disorder.

(Some of the loud colored apps are prone to funny skin issues.)

At the schooling show level (or any level for that matter), as long as she's clean, your riding is good and your rounds are technically correct with good jumping form and flying changes, her tail or lack thereof shouldn't matter much in the grand scheme of the placings. Your strengths and you mistakes stacked against the competitors stranegths and mistakes will place the class, with the special finishing touchs icing on the cake.

I do want to add however, if she has a medical problem involving her tail; that should be addressed, and on the mend before you are considering showing.

I can't speak for how things are today because I don't show, but this post brings back memories! Back in the '70s I had a large pony hunter who was a leopard appy with no tail to speak of. Lovely mover, beautiful jump. It took an open-minded judge to place her (appies where NOT in fashion back then), but when we got one, we cleaned up .

I vote for trying to do a mud know and pretend you meant to do it that way.

I'll definetly talk to her owner about the tail rubbing hopefully we can double team it and get it cleared up quick(: Trixie, I like the idea of a mud knot, i'll give it a shot!! Thank you!

We brought a horse to Upperville a not so long ago with a mud knot...SO MANY PEOPLE TOLD US NOT TO! They were horrified, in fact.

But he looked great, got a ribbon, and it got many, many compliments.

Braids, style of braids /tails are not addressed in the rules, so it really is fine to do a mud tail. For some reason, the braiders stop0ed doing them years ago, along with scalloped braids, but mud knots are very traditional and I would do one in a minute on an appropriate horse.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

If you want to keep considering the fake tail route, there are various options. You might check theshowpen.com to see if they have anything that will work.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

I have an 50/50 AppyXDWB mare who has about the same configuration of tail, 50% appy, 50% DWB (Also a leopard but buckskin)
    I have started using MTG, it smells like bacon but it really works. Her tail was to her hocks and thinnish in the fall and now, especially since the warm weather, her tail is full and about 4 inches longer.

I follow the directions they give. Soak and massage the base of the tail and brush through starting from the bottom of the tail. I then LOOSELY braid every day. (Apply once per week).

If there is not enough to braid, use a tail bag. That will help with rubbing too.

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

Ditto the MTG (I think it smells just like liquid smoke) and ShowSheen. My pony rubbed his tail raw and both of those have made a huge difference. MTG makes it grow and ShowSheen keeps the dust and shavings out of it.
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Wholehearted View Post
    Ditto the MTG (I think it smells just like liquid smoke) and ShowSheen. My pony rubbed his tail raw and both of those have made a huge difference. MTG makes it grow and ShowSheen keeps the dust and shavings out of it.
    I would use a conditioner like Cowboy Magic mane and tail stuff over Show Sheen to keep things from getting tangled in the tail. Show Sheen tends to dry out hair and make it very brittle IF used on a daily basis. Personally, I only pull out the show sheen at shows when I need that really flawlessly clean, detangled tail.

Edited because I am a dummy and got my products mixed up. Cowboy Magic, not Mane N Tail, although that stuff is fine too (but I prefer Vetrolin).

Quote Originally Posted by Pony+ an inch View Post
    I would use a conditioner like Mane N Tail over Show Sheen to keep things from getting tangled in the tail. Show Sheen tends to dry out hair and make it very brittle IF used on a daily basis. Personally, I only pull out the show sheen at shows when I need that really flawlessly clean, detangled tail.
    Or if you don't want to bathe your horse whenever you do his/her tail, try the Eqyss Avacado Spray. It's basically a spray-on leave in conditioner, worked wonders for my mare when she rubbed out part of her tail and what was left was very scraggly and dry.
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know-it-alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Titania: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Unforgetable: torn between jumping and nap time, bad speller

Quote Originally Posted by Electrikk View Post
    Or if you don't want to bathe your horse whenever you do his/her tail, try the Eqyss Avacado Spray. It's basically a spray-on leave in conditioner, worked wonders for my mare when she rubbed out part of her tail and what was left was very scraggly and dry.
    AH! That stuff is amazing! I use that, too--also works well with dry skin/coats (as does the Eqyss Marigold stuff).

Here is my care recipe for my appy’s tail:

Wash with mild horse shampoo
    Condition with Mega Tek rebuilder – high protein conditioner, very moisturizing. Massage the conditioner well into the tail bone and rinse. (this is the same stuff they call "ovation for hair" that they sell to humans to promote growth).

Follow with Infusium leave in conditioner
    Top with Cowboy Magic
    Once dry. Hand pick / brush with horse hair brush.
    Lastly, apply fly / tick repellant to tail (don’t want any tick bites to cause rubbing or lose hair to scabs!)

Feed:
    Hoof supplement (Grandhoof w/ MSM)
    Flax Seed
    Rice bran

Regular deworming, teats cleaned at least weekly, daily tick / bites check.

Need to feed the horse from the inside out to produce the best hair / moist skin. Then care for the tail hair to prevent breakage / rubbing.

I do not like to bag or braid the tail, as mine is out, and I believe she deserves to be able to use her tail.

(I don’t have any good recent tail shots. Here is an older one. Her tail is now much much more white, and thicker at the top, but not longer. Since starting the above routine, lots of white hair is growing, and the tail is starting to get a normal thickness!)

Appy Tail

Dont be braiding it up just yet. And if you end up having to, leave em in for as little time as possible. Braiding breaks up and weakens the hairs. Over-brushing also breaks hairs. Finger picking to detangle daily is a lot nicer to the hair
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Default V. Peck's Junior Hunter (circa 1970)

Quote Originally Posted by Critter27 View Post
    I just started leaseing an appaloosa mare. She is a beatifull mover and has good jumping form! Shes a leopard appaloosa too! But I'm a little worried about her tail or lack of tail, she doesnt have any really the hair stops right after the tail bone and shes rubbed the top so that it's bald. Theres not even enough hair to braid in a fake tail! I'm hoping to show her this summer in schooling shows, will her tail effect how the judges place her? Also, does anyone have any tips for getting her rubbed bald part of her tail to grow back? Any help is appreciated!(:
    This comes under the heading of "I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man who had no feet" (source of quote unknown). V. Peck of southeast Florida showed a horse with almost no tail (due to a shipping accident) in the Junior Hunter Division around 1970. The overall picture was not bad. But I completely understand wanting to create the best presentation possible.
    Hate is a love furious to deny its own existence. - Sri Aurobindo

I've done a mudnot on my poor grey OTTB when it was get this...muddy, and it looked FANTASTIC on him. Made his hind end look exceptionally muscular.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbradbury View Post
    I am big fan of Appaloosas for lots of reasons, one of them being their jumping ability, and their quick wit!
    Plus don't need to pull manes (even when she's only 1/8 appy)!

Ok so yesterday I tried the mud knot, not even enough hair for that! It started out ok but then just kind of puttered out. I just went out and bought MTG and some Mega Tek Rebuilder! Let's hope it works!(: By the way thank you guys so much for all your help!