The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

but..but..but..WAIT! K, picture this: me sitting on my milk crate in steel toed winter boots that go up to my knees, hot pink snow pants that yes, I will admit I ride in on very cold days. A matching hot pink and yellow pouffy jacket half un zipped showing my maple leafs jersey and a pair of those warm thinselate glose that you can turn into golves and mitts. I ahve a pruple head band that covers my ears that lets me wear my orange toque with the pom pom just on the top of my head making my head look gigantic. But wait that's not all!! Don't forget the snow goggles, and the neck warmer. I also have about 6 beer beside me chillin' in a self made snow bank and a thermos of "special" coffee on the other side and under my butt is one of those ice fishing hot seats. Am I prepaired or what??

Best thing about riding in Canada: definatly Spruce! I think Spruce beats all [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Plus in the winter, snow is really soft to fall on

Worst things: less shows, no serious competition, cold in the winter, hardly any good horses left, no big winter shows, very cold in the winter, few really good riders with not many rising GP riders (ie we've had the same bunch of riders represent us for what seems like the last 20 years) and it's really very cold in the winter [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaded:
    but..but..but..WAIT! K, picture this: me sitting on my milk crate in steel toed winter boots that go up to my knees, hot pink snow pants that yes, I will admit I ride in on very cold days. A matching hot pink and yellow pouffy jacket half un zipped showing my maple leafs jersey and a pair of those warm thinselate glose that you can turn into golves and mitts. I ahve a pruple head band that covers my ears that lets me wear my orange toque with the pom pom just on the top of my head making my head look gigantic. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oooh, I don't know. You sound a bit too colourful for our subdued Canadian sensibilities to be elected president (no, change that PRIME MINSTER!!) of the deck. In fact, sound kinda 'merican - maybe the Virginia clique is holding elections. How big is your hair (when not packed down in toque)? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

oh darn, I'll have to answer this question very carefully.....my hair is in a pony tail....did that work? Can I be vice president, I'll ditch the pink pants for... lets see I have a blue pair too (navy) and the jacket for....my lumber jack jacket, hows that? better? lol! Do you want my hot seat? gee talk about bribery but hey wait! I'm being polite! HA! Now that's Canadian!

Hey, eh. Who Wants to Be a Canadian Millionaire (wassat, like $45 US???)!!

I AM CANADIAN too.

The worst thing about riding in Canada - INDOOR ARENAS 8 months of the year. I have to laugh when people talk of "Covered Arenas" in the states. Mine is so tightly insulated its a dark tomb. But it's still freezing!!!!

Our barn shows in Michigan all the time, and it's such a hoot to forget where we are and let slip "pop" (it's not pop, silly, it's SODA) or ask where the "washroom" is (it's a BATHROOM - even though you don't bathe there [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img])

Well, I'm leaving work now and I have the sled dogs all warmed up. Can't wait to get home now that we have satellite TV in the igloo [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Worthy - oops, I forgot about pop and washroom (we don't really wash there either, just our hands *hopefully*) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] And in all seriousness, while we don't have the # of shows as the USA, or # of horses, we DO have serious competition, and for a nation that has what, like one one zillionth of the population as the US, we're not doing too bad. And I did the math and I believe that $1 million Cdn. is $52.63 USD, so don't short change us!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

LOL - Hey, Blinky - did you get Screeched In or just drink it? Didya kiss the cod? Eh? *G*

Good things about riding in Canada:
    .....um...well, buying horses in Canadian funds is cheaper than in the US.
    Bad things:
    Riding in mosquitoe/blackfly season, mud season, ice season, freezing ass cold season, high humidity season.....geez, why do we live here? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I think Quinn's first act as Canadian Deck President should be to move us all to California.

Heck, no, Heidi! What would we do without the Fox and Hound (not to mention the earthquakes...I';ll take cold weather, thanks!).

Ooh, watch yourself Stable. If you keep inviting me to drink beer when I'm a minor, I might have to sic one of those mounties on you!

Best thing about Canada: the fact that no one actually works here! (I'm judging by the fact thatthere were 30 posts on this thread in one afternoon).

Canadian question time: what do you wear to the barn on those cold days? I usually have on a thermal undershirt, 2 sweatshirts, my winter jacket, a toque, a scarf, 2 pairs of gloves, heavy socks, winter riders, long johns, and jeans. And no, I'm not joking!

Oh yeah, and BTW...do not attempt to mount a 17.2 hand horse off of a short mounting block with all that clothing on. It just doesn't work!

Oh, I thought of my other favourite Canadian thing. Quarter sheets! I had mine custom made for my horse, in navy blue polar fleece with his name embroidered on it. Anyone else with a cool quarter sheet?

And Jair, let's not forget the whole "if you don't import your horse from Europe or the States, it's not a real horse thing". Love that snobbiness!

Saddlepad: what horse will you be showing at the Royal? I can't stay for the nighttime meeting at the Fox and Hound, but I'll be there during the day on the 3rd, and I'll look for you!

Check out my post on the favorite show clothes.
    Best things about Canada- we all buy our horses off the track and compete with the big ones LOL. Relatively cheap horses. Indoor arenas. Seasons. Lots of Land. Big turnouts and grass pastures. Riding with your dogs on 1000's of acres of mountain wilderness. Wildlife like moose, bears, wolves, etc. We have Toronto. We can get away from Toronto.
    Worst things about Canada- Competing in classes where there are 1/2 $$$ horses and half OTTBs. Relatively no 'good' homebred horses. Being stuck in the indoor arena. Walking 20 mins to find a horse on the back pasture. The wardrobe you need to keep you and your horse up with the seasons.

Oh- the memories. May I join as the wife of a French Canuck? Yes HE thinks Canada & PQ should stay together.
    He still gets his name announced every year at the RAWF for the Puissance record there -OOH AHH- please - hold the applause.
    Things I learned
    While living in
    Quebec(Perth & Guelph,too)
    1. Go to an OB who speaks the same language- so that you can ask for drugs-and not just Gravol

2.Your camper hose CAN freeze at a horse show in June.
    3.Your horse's passport picture CAN be as bad as yours-unfortunately- his is for life.
    4.The mosquitos ARE seen on the Dorval radar.
    5.You CAN walk the course at the RAWF in high heels. Those Sorels just did not look right to me- all the natives said otherwise,though.
    6.Canadians do say, EH, eh?
    7. It DOES pay to know Ian Millar when returning from a Canton show at 11 at night wearing a strange hat to cover up helmet head.
    8. You MUST listen to music while riding- 8 months in the indoor gets really OLD.
    9. Horses CAN survive without turnout,especially when the snowbanks are over the doors in height.
    10. You must own a blade for the front of your truck that has snow tires on it, just so you can go to the grocery store, or to Beckers -at least.
    11. Tim Horton's RULES!!!!!And they have really, really hot coffee.
    12. The sound of a moose mating call during rut is QUITE similar to the screech of a banshee.
    13.Hammanol smells like smoked meat.
    14. Bromont has great poutin at the concession stand.
    15.It is quite nice to sit on the chesterfield drinking tea- with milk- while it is -40 outside.
    16. You REALLY do clip horses when it is -40 outside
    17. You REALLY do clean tack when it is -20 outside- of course, the slightly heated tackroom does help, somewhat-along with the electric kettle.
    18.Layering is GOOD.
    19.The metric system IS easy to learn.
    20.A sugaring off is a real event held in a real sugar shack- love that maple syrup!!!!!!
    That is all I can think of now!!!!!
    It\'s a pity life ain\'t got no warranty for times like now...

Of course you can join the Canadian Deck - in fact, given the climatic hardships you've suffered, I elect you as patron saint!

OMG *bows down to the king of all CoffeeShops* HOW did I forget Tim Hoo-hoo's??????They may be the only reason in the world why I coulnd't leave Canada for Texas.
    OK, I'm an idiot who can't remember yesterday let alone who holds the puissance record at RAWF.. who please?

I swear Timmy's puts crack or something in their coffee...mmmmmmm...can't get enough. Toyed with buying shares since we invest so much there...

I have the toque above all toques. It is a space age THINSULATE toque, which goes quite flatteringly with the thermal undies, polar fleece breeches and snowpants to top it all off. There's nothing like feeling as warm and squishy as a marshmallow on horseback. I do indeed have insulated steeltoes also, which are less fun to ride in than you'd think. The older I get, the more insulated things I seem to need...

Finally sorted out the cold toes thing. I went to Crappy Tire last winter and bought the electric socks, eh? (no joke! what a godsend!) There is nothing more pathetic than the collapsing squeek of a rider popping off a 16.2hh beastie onto frozen toes.

I will be at the Fox & Hound on the 9th, any takers on the Thursday festivities? I am a lurker from way back on both the EMG and COTH and finally have something to contribute with my chilly Canadian brothers and sisters.

P.S. Most exciting weekend - picked up a new polar fleece ear doo-dad at the Greenhawk sale - I am READY for winter this time around.
    ~Mighty TB Clique~

DH, dont worry about the shares.. friends of ours looked into buying one of the Tim's franchises (to be built) and were looking at 2 million bucks. 2 million, for a coffee shop. Wow. Wow. What's a coffee cost, about $.75?? But then, we need the stuff to keep us warm... Eletric socks at Crappy Tire, really? Oh yeah, Greenhawk. Love/hate relationship for a store that sells alternatly great quality stuff at great prices, and total crap. I bought my heavy winter blanket 1800 denier one piece with the full neck flap thingie on sale at the Spruce Masters for like $160. Gotta love Greenhawk!!

But, you've got to love our government! Announced last week is the idea to mint a $0.03 coin. Now that will be precious. If we didn't have weighty pockets before....and they don't believe it would be in good taste to have Pierre E. Trudeau's likeness appear on the said coin because...........that would "cheapen" his memory. So we would do it because????????? Gotta love it.

Good stuff - beautiful hacking country.
    Bad stuff - our dollar is pretty much worthless, fewer and fewer good winter schooling shows.

Heidi ~ I don't think we'd really and truly like it in California. Too hot. Sand fleas. Weird accents. A little "out there." As Canadians we still enjoy some great stuff. Okay, I'm thinking. Be back to you.
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Things I really miss back home that these my American friends just don't get:
    1) Tim Hortons Coffee (boy do I miss this)

2) All Dressed Potato Chips

3) Clamato Juice- love those ceasars

4) Butter Tarts

5) Resterants that list back bacon as such
    and not "Canadian Bacon"
    6) The Royal Winter Fair/ The Ex. (summer)

Up untill the last one, can you see a theme"

Things I don't miss about being back home:

1) Riding a horse dressed like the
    "Pilsbury Doughboy"

2) De-icing the trailer in November

3) Having to deal with "basic tack", and
    not being able to find better stuff
    without paying an arm and a leg
    4) 15% tax

5) and taking out a mortgage to get gas for
    my truck.

jumpsalot - I second your nomination as Patron Saint *LOL

Your "pountin" is "poutine" neither version really fit for human consumption. No wonder hubby holds the indoor record...

Did hubby ever introduce you to the Bonhomme?
    Now that's even weirder than poutine.

My shoulders are starting to creep up around my ears from the cold. heidi! throw another log on...I can see frost on the windowpanes!
    Who is wearing their touques to the Fox & Hound? Shall we add those funny socks with the toes to the ensemble?

Stable is Canadian. Canter is American. with the exchange rate that makes me worth about 3 cents...

The best thing about winter in Canada...

heated indoor arenas!!!! Giddyap.

[This message has been edited by Canter (edited 10-24-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Canter:

Stable is Canadian. Canter is American. with the exchange rate that makes me worth about 3 cents...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And worthy of a new coin in your honour Canter - see Quinn's post above.

Best thing: heated viewing rooms, claiming horsie's Rambo turnout blanket for myself. C'est tres warm and tres chic in a very tasteful shade of purple.

BTW, bargain tip of the day - it's cheaper to buy from the manufacturer in Ireland (at 1/3 of its CDN cost) and pay the shipping/duty.

OH GAWD, DH - you have to remind me of dismounting onto frozen toes. It's hot here today in the Maritimes (I know, all you SoCals, 70 deg. F is your sweater weather, but I'm sitting here sweating!).

I'm trying to move a mountain of shavings into the barn before it freezes for the winter.

Mmmmmm....butter tarts.

Let's not forget water trough de-icers and icicles hanging from your equine's whiskers. Also, breaking up the ice in the water buckets (an invigorating winter sport) and tunneling through the snow drifts to get to the barn in the morning (I often cross country ski to the barn). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]