The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Here's a pretty good photo showing the hackabit:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/sites/de...rMedicott1.jpg
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    I was sitting in front of the water park right where KOC fell. I really thought she might hang on and sweet Veronica was just trying to do the right thing.
    I was too, I'm right on the ropes, front and center, in the pro pics of the fall!

KOC is very tough, or she is just trying to add a little twilight to her life: http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...38304356_n.jpg

I was at the head of the lake when she came through on her second ride, he must have slipped at the standing fish and she must have hit her face on his neck...when she landed from the brush she put her hand to her mouth and there was blood...got a good picture of this...

There was another rider a few rides before her that got a good whack in the head jumping the brush as well...damn near came off but saved herself and went on to finish...not sure who it was.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Thumbs up She is my Hero..

Always has been. Even when she was Lende!
    Tiny piece of Trivia. Our Birthdays are exactly one month apart. She was born, Feb 17, 1958 I was born March 17 1958.
    I would LOVE to have a mare like Veronica, and I would kill to be able to ride with Karen. What an awesome horsewoman.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Backstage View Post
    KOC is very tough, or she is just trying to add a little twilight to her life: http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...38304356_n.jpg
    That's a great picture!!

I think we need to start calling that the "Hickstead Combo" because I've seen a ton of threads lately about that combination!

She's always gracious and glad to talk with kids and fans signing autographs and posing for pictures. It struck me this past weekend how happy I am that the barn kids idols and role models are hard working dedicated equestrians like Karen, becky, allison, phillip and a whole host of other eventers not some insipid movie stars.
    Gallop on

Quote Originally Posted by Backstage View Post
    It's all part of the plan to bring more of the American public to eventing... add vampires

Karen is a class act. The fact that she did the reining freestyle the night before one of her biggest days ever..... well, enough said. She could have been injured, etc. Not sure why David cancelled. We were expecting to see them both. She is always willing to sign autographs, talk to fans, etc. There is a reason why "they" want her to do well and be eligible for the olympics.
    She is a great rider and a great ambassador.
    Last edited by mimiwenk; May. 1, 2012 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mimiwenk View Post
    Karen is a class act. The fact that she did the reining freestyle the night before one of her biggest days ever..... well, enough said. She coule have been injured, etc. Not sure why David cancelled. We were expecting to see them both. she is always willing to sign autographs, talk to fans, etc. There is a reason why "they" want her to do well and be eligible for the olympics.
    She is a great rider and a great ambassodor.
    Absolutely! Good post!

Also: do not think, just because you don't see it, that the riders we discuss don't know we are talking about them. They read COTH.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Karen's reaction at the end of her stadium round says it all. I just LOVE the HUGE smile on her face and how she kept pointing at Mr Medicott. Her love for the sport and her horses is undeniable. Incredibly admirable woman.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Default I often wonder

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Absolutely! Good post!

Also: do not think, just because you don't see it, that the riders we discuss don't know we are talking about them. They read COTH.
    If Karen reads COTH, Kind of a thrill to think she does.
    I have nothing but the utmost respect for her. Like I have said have followed her for over 20 years. I wish I could be an OLD working student for the O'Connors.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I heard through some one at Control that the jump judges thought her vest deployed when Veronica unseated her over the first element and was a factor in her not being able to get herself back in the saddle for the water element. I was at the fence and didn't notice it and I can't tell in the video. Anyone know or see anything? If it's true then that would be the second time I know of that an untimely deployment has really been a problem for her! (The other was when it deployed and scared Mandiba and he fell off the bank and broke several ribs...)

I saw Karen with Marilyn signing autographs for kids (and a few adults) in the warm up ring for stadium long after all the other riders and horses had cleared out. My favorite Marilyn Effect on Karen is how smashing she's look as of late in the trot ups. She was even accesorized on Sunday morning!

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    I heard through some one at Control that the jump judges thought her vest deployed when Veronica unseated her over the first element and was a factor in her not being able to get herself back in the saddle for the water element.
    You know, my SO pointed out that the vest popped before the 2nd fence, and he is not a horse person, just happened to mention it while watching...was wondering how the vest attached to the saddle, with a genuine 'well that sucks, horse wanted to get the job done.'

I haven't gone back to watch it again, but, that's a minor detail for an unenthusiastic viewer of Rolex to mention without reason (it was streaming to the big-screen, much to his chagrin)

I Have so much respect for her especially after she dismounted during her dressage warm up to greet Amy Tryon's husband with a huge hug.

Thanks, y'all. I don't think she gets all the kudos she deserves...she's an amazing rider/horsewoman, and as someone mentioned, a real ambassador to the sport. Karen, we REALLY think you're the bomb!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    You know, my SO pointed out that the vest popped before the 2nd fence, and he is not a horse person, just happened to mention it while watching...was wondering how the vest attached to the saddle, with a genuine 'well that sucks, horse wanted to get the job done.'
    Wow, that would explain why she wasn't able to recover. I've seen her recover from much more precarious positions before. If that's true it definitely sucks! What a good mare, that Veronica, tho.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Absolutely! Good post!

Karen if you are reading this - I once years ago had a very enjoyable course walk with you at Millbrook. I think you were taking a young one training level.

When you retire Veronica at the upper levels can I please have her

Loved her!