The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile KOC is One Tough Cookie

I have always had great respect for Karen O'Connor but watching the video of her getting jumped off at Rolex increased it even more. To think she and I are the same age. I would have been in a million pieces after that bumpy ride.

I thought so, too

and she looked like she as really having fun riding in the Reining Freestyle Saturday night!

what kind of bit was the horse wearing in stadium? was it a hackamore?

Oh Karen I was just going to post about that too. What was that? It was more than a hackamore, it did have a bit, and kinda like something with some gag action -- and the horse respected it or seemed to. Does anyone have a close up pix of that bit?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

It was probably a combination hackamore (also called a hackabit). Very common in the jumpers right now. I didn't see it, so not entirely sure, but did it look something like this?

(Pardon the whackadoodle doo expression of a slightly overexcited little mare)
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._4999736_n.jpg

She is probably getting the bit ideas from the MLM influence on her show jumping.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

What a lovely honest mare that Veronica is!

And Mr. Medicott, wow he is something, watched her school him on Tuesday, so happy for her that they had a terrific weekend!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I heard that it was a hackabit with a waterford for the bit.
    If you always do what you've always done- you'll always get what you've always gotten.
    Madison Ridge Farm

It definitely looked like a long shanked hackamore with a loose ring snaffle and converters. I don't BELIEVE the two were connected aside from the converters.

It was some kind of combination hackamore bit.

It looks like a lot of hardware (and it is) but this can work wonders on a very forward-going horse with a high head carriage. You can ride more forward in this device than in a bit or a hackamore alone, if that makes sense, and you can make adjustments going forward, rather than fighting with the horse.

(I used to use one of these on one of my mares. She liked to go at speed, and she liked minimal input from the rider. One half-halt was okay. If you didn't get it the first time, you'd have to ask again, and she did not like that at all.)

As they mentioned on the NBC broadcast, Karen took over the ride only six months ago, and from a large, German man. I imagine the extra hardware might be needed to help balance a four-star tired horse used to a much bigger, stronger rider on his back. Certainly Karen is educated enough to use it correctly. With the exception of a disagreement heading toward the in-and-out, he didn't seem to object.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

It's one of these combinations...
    Not all who wander are lost.

Smile

Thanks, Kinsella, I think that is it.

I have to laugh at the 6 months to figure out the horse....Karen probably figured out what he was 10 minutes after she jumped the first oxer on the horse. She LOVES horses like this (very forward and out of control). She's ridden this type her whole eventing life. He suits her right down to the ground.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Thanks, Kinsella, I think that is it.

I have to laugh at the 6 months to figure out the horse....Karen probably figured out what he was 10 minutes after she jumped the first oxer on the horse. She LOVES horses like this (very forward and out of control). She's ridden this type her whole eventing life. He suits her right down to the ground.
    Yep - even Teddy was a difficult ride, and difficult on the ground, too. It didn't look quite so dramatic because he was so much smaller.

I was very impressed with how Veronica locked on to the second element and basically jumped it on her own - Karen at that time was hanging on for dear life.

I was sitting in front of the water park right where KOC fell. I really thought she might hang on and sweet Veronica was just trying to do the right thing.

And she came off he second ride bleeding from the mouth. Mr. Medicott bumped her face when he slipped at the head of the lake. She has grit, that's for sure.
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

[QUOTE=DLee;6284273]What a lovely honest mare that Veronica is!

And Mr. Medicott, wow he is something, watched her school him on Tuesday, so happy for her that they had a terrific weekend! [/QUO

I agree, D.