The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

I hope no one minds that I hired someone local. It's a friend of my husband, Mr. Merry Thread. Anyhoo, this guy plays the guitar and sings great songs... well, a few mediocre songs. About every third offering is "The House of the Rising Sun". Oh, and he also knows "Flying Purple People Eater" and "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose its Flavor on the Bed Post Overnight". Please disregard the fact that he envisions himself Jerry Garcia but he actually looks gratefully dead. Oh no, I can hear the strains of his first song already...

"There is ... a house... in New Orleans...they caaalllll The Risin' Sun.... and it's BEEN...a ruin... of many a poor boy... "

Oh geez, someone make some more adult beverages. If we're out, run over to the Canadians' thread and steal from them.

where the East meets the West, and the North meets the South!!

I don't recall the name, but it sure is tastey; iced tea with Absolute citron or Stoli orange!! How about Malibu and Pinapple?

Now where is Chandra is'nt she bringing the wine?
    whewwwwwweeee! It's party time! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Please forgive me for taking so long to return with more Tequlia and Margarita fixins. But I had to actually get some paper work done today [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] and attend a family birthday party [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]. How ever I am back and the blender will now go into over time, since I left my dear friends here with out adequate beverages. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I guess I will just have to drink all of these Margaritas by myself. Since everyone else has left me alone with the deceased thread and the JRTs. I wonder if they would like to share a pitcher of Margaritas? That could have a scarry result. I can just imagine the headlines. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I also wanna talk about (in hushed and reverent tones) the birth of a new threadlet. I know the old thread would want us to go on. Life doesn't stop, after all. There are more names to remember, more horses to discuss, more memories to re-live.

Besides, we NEVER did (in over 600 posts) find out the answer to the original question! (Which of course, I have forgotten now). But those kind of things need closure, and it is not polite to discuss such matters at a wake.
    I found the perfect distance but they put the jump in the wrong place.

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Ohhhhhh, the sadness of it all.......Louie, Louie...yeah baby! What are we eating? Must have something to digest with all our liquid refreshments..

~Santa Barbara County~ CA Clique, Vertically Gifted Clique & AAAA Clique

I am so sorry, I was in the bathroom the whole time barfing from the stomach flu! This wake just couldn't have come at a worse time for me. At least I feel as bad physically as I do emotionally!

After flushing I sent my husband to the cellar and pulled SEVERAL bottles of last years Pinot (hope you all like red). It has a pretty decent alcohol content for those needing to drown their sorrows but won't whomp you in the head like all of that hard stuff you have been serving.

Salute!

~Santa Barbara County~ CA Clique, Vertically Gifted Clique & AAAA Clique

Um, we are falling way behind. Am I the only one still here at 8:30 in the morning?? Just me, my wine and the casket. It isn't an open casket is it?

As best I can tell, MPD stands for "multiple personality disorders." Of course, at Columbia (Law School), they taught us very little about medicine - funny how that goes - so I could be wrong.

No, I don't suffer from that - I have one personality, and it is delightful in all its type-A, fiercely perceptive, academic glory.

Were you using MPD to mean something other than Multiple Personality Disorder? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks to Melissa Cardenas, who apparently happens to also be a caterer...?

But now don't all of you go rushing toward her offering of prime rib and garlic mashed potatoes! What about my sushi rolls? Made fresh from the koi I harvested from my pond in my riding arena! No one wants goldfish-on-rye, either? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Strike up the band, then. How about "Woolly Bully"?

(Are we supposed to dance at a wake?) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

By the way, has anyone fed the horses breakfast?

Sushi?????Sushi????? That is the best!!!!! Okay so Wooly Bully, and sure why not? We can dance. "It's your party and you can cry if you want to". Sorry just couldn't resist [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

If you agree (extra post there), I will be happy to add to the eulogies.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Merry, I'll go feed the horses.

I'll mix in a little left-over artichoke dip for the fussy eaters.

Oh, and I suppose it is a bad thing that the barn cats got into the margaritas. . . . That will teach us to fill the birdfeeder with margaritas when all the fake crystal decanters were used up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

I posted my eulogy over on the "real" thread. But I have stopped by here to pay my respects.

Elizabeth, I am sorry that my JRTs brought shame and embarrassment to Bill. (Though who knows? Maybe he LIKES that kinda mauling! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) But really, it's not their fault. Merry knows better than to yell "SQUIRREL!" in a room crowded with terrieristas. It's not like she could have forgotten her own experience of having them dangle off her ponytail....

Coreene, I cannot hope to ease your pain upon the death of "your" thread. But take comfort in the fact that you gave birth to a grand and wonderful thing. Clifford and his ancient English saddle thank you.

To all the friends that we met and bonded with, a hearty toast ... even if it IS with that cheap stuff that I have been forced to put in a carafe. (As I have told Merry repeatedly, appearances are soooo important and they must be kept up. Which is something she tends to forget as she slogs out to feed the koi in what was once our arena.)

And finally, to those Canadians who are attempting another coup and trying to wrest the thread title away from its rightful owner ... well, I've never trusted those north of the border. Canadians ... they LOOK like us, but they're *different.* [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Beezer, whew, we thought we had lost you.

No worries on Bill's toupee. He likes it to be handled kinda rough! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

As to the Canadian Thread, if you or I were confined to a bucolic area overwhelmed by snow and people who insert extra "u"'s in their words (e.g. favourite), we likely would be a little bit "different," too.

Oh, hey, Beezer, it's funny. . . . This wine is in an Ecco Domani bottle, but it tastes like. . . wine from a box.

Oh Beezer, how could you let Merry buy that stuff in the cardboard box, then pass it off in a carafe? Guess it is time for this wonderful, memorable thread to hit the sunset trail. But, it is such a sad farewell. Think of all the wonderful hours that have been spent, with idle chatter. Remembering, the good and the OH so funny. How can we let that go? Plus now that we are having fierce competition from the northern hemisphere we have to do something, right?

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

I see I shall have to take you under my wing. Either that, or severely limit the time you spend with Merry. Why, you ask? Because one must never, EVER say that a wine tastes like it came out of a box ... saying so would be admitting that you KNOW what wine in a box tastes like. EEEWWWWW! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

wtywmn4: I am forced to do these things to save my family from certain shame and humiliation. I am, after all, the only one of us who knows the difference between a cabernet and a cabaret, between pinot noir and peanut butter. I MUST save them from themselves!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

As for the death of the thread ... well, it was doomed from the start. I mean, really ... "Question for Merry" indeed. Now, if it had been "Question for Beezer" we would never have arrived at this sad juncture. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

I meant to say "This wine tastes like what I would imagine wine in a box tastes like, if I drank wine in a box, which I don't. Honest. I don't."

(Please, please take me under your magnanimous wing, Beezer. I'm struggling here, in my new environs on the west coast. . . . I go down to places like Lido Isle in Newport Beach, and, God as my witness, I have no idea how to converse with these people. I think it is just b/c it is a weird blend of people who have money with people who don't have money, but I'm not sure. Either way, the social nuances are killing me.) (They aren't actually killing me - I smile a lot and say "oh, yes. Uh huh, uh huh." But I still believe I can learn from you, Beezer, the hierophant of social graces!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Elizabeth: I know what you mean, usually I just say "that's nice" which is a euphemism for a rather derogatory phase that many of us refer to as speaking French. As in "Pardon my French"

But I know what you mean, Newport is a amalgam of the well to do's and the neer do wells along with others...

Not to change the subject at the wake...I remember the Merry thread refering to Edgar Pagan. But i don't recall what. Can any of you (still virtually sober)give me any info???

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

LOL Beezer we may be different but we share a common love of prime rib and garlic mashed. While y'all are huddling with your tequila, make room for a fun lovin' Canadian and her 2-4 of Blue??