The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Hey, I have an entire collection of leather halters, thank you very much! Some I've won (actually they're the cheapest quality), and a couple are show halters for shipping and ornamentation. I mean, geez, Pam, this is California! I don't wear a hairnet in my lessons, either. Don't tell me that upsets you, too, LOL!

As for nylon, no, it doesn't mildew. Plus, it comes in such purdy colors, too! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

By the way, dublin, we're supposed to get 3-5 inches of rain in 24 hours. Now, which stage of Larry Miller's "bit" do I want to be in now? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

We didn't have to bury the thread, it could have just floated away. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    \"just remember this my girl, when you look up in the sky, you can see the stars but still not see the light.\" -The Eagles (song by J. Tempchin/R. Stradlund)

Merry, I think PamM is thinking about safety. I really can't put words in her mouth, but I'll bet she hopes there is at least a leather crown piece on any halter used for turnout. Even a freakout in the crossties, when in a nylon halter, can be rather serious.

However, all of us suffering through the several wet winters since El Nino, then La Nina, now supposedly nothing out of the ordinary but certainly not what we're used to, know exactly where you're coming from! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] The sunglasses are wishful thinking [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Cheers, Maggi
    Cheers, Maggi

How is it that a weather system that has the power to wipe out entire towns and change the global climate is called the equivilent of "the child"? Wouldn't "The Mother@#$%er" be more apropos? Really... could a four year old put CA where it probably should be (geographically speaking and taking fault lines into account- no offense intended!)- in the ocean? Methinks not. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

Why not go for the whole enchilada, so to speak....all 5 stages!! Better you drown your sorrows, than to have the rain drown you.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

You don't mean to tell me that I'm the only huntseat person in Calif. to use nylon halters? Oh, come now, "out yourselves"! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

We don't turn-out our horses in them (especially now, since our turn-out is a koi pond/rice paddy). And we don't even have cross-ties... or a hitching post, for that matter! We tack up in the stall. Yes, we take "backyarders" to a new level, and proudly, I might add! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hey, is this morphing into a funeral for springtime weather?

The crowd of nylon halter users anonymous chants in unison "Hi Michelle".....

In fact, our whole barn has matching nylon halters in the barn colors (black w/burgundy overlay), and each is monogrammed w/the horse's name. But we don't use them for turnouts...they are taken off for that. Our crossties are actually held with a piece of baling string so that if a horse pulls hard, it breaks. I know this because my old horse was a confirmed cross-tie breaker since way back when. He had a few good strolls around the property, and especially enjoyed being chased. So we stopped chasing him when he got loose (the property is fully fenced) and he lost his enthusiasm for that game.

But about that weather....UGH! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] It's supposed to rain three days straight, even in Indio!!! At least I got to jump Cypress today over several jumps in a row...she was a wild thing! If she doesn't mellow a little by Thursday, the rails will be flyin'!!!

AAJumper joins Merry in the mourning of our beautiful So.CA sunny weather. Will this onslaught of rain ever end???

And now, a brief poetic interlude mourning our California climate...

My poppies bloomed,
    The tulips riz,
    I wonder where
    The sunshine is.

I muck my pens,
    I feed my koi
    My trench-diggin' hoe
    Is my favorite toy.

My tan is gone,
    My lip gloss froze
    I've noticed frostbite
    On my toes.

A sheen of moss
    Grows on my ring
    Will I ever hear
    The blue jays sing?

Shows are cancelled
    Due to storms.
    Will I still recognize
    Entry forms?

My boots reek of mud,
    Muck and pizz.
    I'm asking God
    Where the sunshine is?

Composed in a state of utter madness, 3/3/01 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Merry! You have way too much time on your hands if you could write that poem! J/K! Good poem!

Hmmmm...could this lovely poetry be Merry's attempt to procrasinate, what with that 48 hour deadline on her TB article approaching? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] Just kiddin' Merry....love the poem!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Kipling ...Merry. Browning...Merry. Whitman...Merry. Nope can't tell the difference.
    A classic is still a classic. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

As far as nylon halters go, have a ton of them. But mine get turned out sans halter, they just come in when they're called. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
    \"just remember this my girl, when you look up in the sky, you can see the stars but still not see the light.\" -The Eagles (song by J. Tempchin/R. Stradlund)

Kipling...Merry. Browning...Merry. Whitman...Merry. Nope there isn't much difference. A classic is still a classic. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

As far as nylon halters go, own a ton of 'em. But the horses get turned out sans halters, they just come in when they're called. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

How did that happen? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

I've had that happened before....I clicked on the Post Now button, and immediately realized I wanted to change something. So I click the Stop button on my browser, and it appears nothing has been transmitted yet. But low and behold, my post ends up on the thread.

Disgusted with the horrid weather, and inspired by Jimmy Buffet, AAJumper stands in Merry's truckbed and begins to sing off-key:

Boat drinks.
    Waitress I need two more boat drinks.
    Then I'm headin' south 'fore my dream shrinks.
    I gotta go where it's warm.

Can we move the post burial gathering to somewhere tropical....say, Cabo San Lucas??? Or Mazatlan?

Rusty rushes over to the truck to hand AAJumper a strawberry margarita, hoping to distract her from belting out yet another song... this time Margaritaville....

Yes, why is it, AAJumper, that I cannot simply click over to Microsoft Word and start writing? I must come here first? I can see it'll be another night where I'm here, missing the opening of Saturday Night Live!

Merry guns the truck as the whole group caravans away from the cemetary. Heck, no one wanted to dwell here anyway. dublin and weeble suggest stopping by a tanning salon just so we can all remember what it's like to feel some UV rays. But rusty and Pam instead lead the way to the local El Torrito. "Chips, guacamole and MORE margaritas, anyone?" rusty yells.

AAJumper decides that this may be one of her last meals before departing for Indio. She has now decided that HITS doesn't stand for "horse shows in the sun" but rather "Howdy! It's Thunder Storming!"

Rusty agrees with AAjumper that we need to move the gathering to some were tropical. We are from CA we need warm weather.

Tropical with a beach and we can put the nylon halters on our horses and ride in the surf. Just like when we were Jrs.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    More Margaritas any one? The second blender did not get put in to the casket. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

We're going to Maui in two weeks -- I'm looking forward to escaping this miserable weather! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
    (It's pouring outside as I write this,ARRRGGG...)
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Yup, I got up at 6:00 so I could "do" the horses before the rain hit, but it's not raining yet... so I guess I could've ridden! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

I just keep scratching potential shows off my calendar. I try to imagine what it would've been like, attending a horse show: the sun, the friends, the food stands, the long wait between rounds in the baby greens, the port-o-potties... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

LOL Merry...I like the new title for HITS. Or maybe they should rename it to HITM...Horse Shows in the Mud. I hear that is what it is like at Indio after it rains. Mud, mud and more mud. I was thinking about taking Cypress down there today, but it is supposed to rain down there too, so there would be no point. Instead, we'll go Wednesday as planned. At least I go to ride this morning, pack my trunk, and load up hay into my truck before the rain hit!

AAJumper hears the crack of thunder and feels the first drops of rain. She grabs the big blue tarp in the back of Merry's truck and Rusty helps to unfold it, covering those riding in the back. The big El Torrito sign looms up ahead, like a homing beacon. "Will this weather EVER end?", she cries out, in misery. Her hopes of escaping the horrid rain fade quickly, as she checks the weather forecast...rain on Tuesday and Wednesday, in the desert no less!!!