The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

The "Question for Merry" thread is being laid to rest. Rose petals have been scattered upon the coffin. The bagpiper has played "Danny Boy". By now the preacher is half-schnockered on cheap wine (a vin rose that came in a box but was deftly poured into a "crystal" decanter from Walmart before the guests arrived). There's food on the table and we're all turned out in our best mourning regalia. (It is California, after all. Must have bleached teeth, sunglasses, and a Gucci scarf about one's head). Want to join in?

Who knows, the wake may last a while.

And you Canadians. HUH! How long can you tell bad jokes and muse about the upcoming spring thaw? The Calif. clique tosses down a black Neiman-Marcus kidskin glove. *Sniff* Just see if you can make it to 30+ pages! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The "Question for Merry" thread is being laid to rest. Rose petals have been scattered upon the coffin. The bagpiper has played "Danny Boy". By now the preacher is half-schnockered on cheap wine (a vin rose that came in a box but was deftly poured into a "crystal" decanter from Walmart before the guests arrived). There's food on the table and we're all turned out in our best mourning regalia. (It is California, after all. Must have bleached teeth, sunglasses, and a Gucci scarf about one's head). Want to join in?

Who knows, the wake may last a while.

And you Canadians. HUH! How long can you tell bad jokes and muse about the upcoming spring thaw? The Calif. clique tosses down a black Neiman-Marcus kidskin glove. *Sniff* Just see if you can make it to 30+ pages! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Sorry to hear about your loss, please accept my sympothies but it was time. And now I must say....

Bring it on BAY-BE!
    You'll be surpised at how much time we Canadians have during winter, 30 pages HA! I could do that in my sleep [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] BTW, it's snowing YET again.
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

And, in proper wake form, Willem will be wearing his black PolyPad under his black tack (being as he is a dressage kind of guy) as we wake.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

~Santa Barbara County~ CA Clique, Vertically Gifted Clique & AAAA Clique

Well what a bummer! I came into the topic late and even though I am a youngish adult and should remember or at least know of some of the people you were talking about, I didn't. I guess I spent too much time riding super green horses and never made it to the show ring or really just out in the world very much.

I just skimmed through and had fun, sorry to see it go! I would like to lay down a single red rose and an apple please.

Um, Merry....
    As a citizen of Dallas, I'm afraid I must dispute your right to claim the black kid glove from Neiman-Marcus as a symbol of California.

Neiman Marcus is as Texan as well, George dub-ya Bush. Stanley (Marcus) has fought a long hard battle to bring culture, art and expensive doo-dads to the not-so-common man and it all started here.

So, not to start a fight at the funeral or anything, but you need to pick an authentic California artifact - maybe a surfboard or alphalfa sprouts - and not go "borrowin'" from Texas!
    Remember the Alamo!

I was boycotting the board b/c I am still a little. . . miffed . . . about last night. However, altruistic woman that I am, I realized you NEED my expertise for this wake. I am uniquely qualified to speak to the issue of protocol at wakes b/c I am (a) Catholic and (b) Italian.

O.k., we are off to a good start here: Rosie and Merry are having a spat (teasing, teasing) over the black glove, and having feuding contingents is necessary to have a good Italian wake. There must be an impatient air of suspended battles at the funeral parlor. Also, someone sagely mentioned alcohol on the Merry Thread. We need to have someone leaving the wake early to go back to one of the families' homes (coreene's home? or Rancho Merry?) to begin preparing for the after-wake drink-fest. Generally those things are catered, but, to keep costs down, we can do it pot-luck.

What else? Let me get back to you . . . .
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

Even though I'm terribly upset that you, elizabeth, had a spat with someone other than your fave sparring partner, moi, I have stumbled onto a picture of my dear Rick, which I have linked below, perhaps to the detriment of my friendship w/ Rick.

Must admit, my boy looks good in the picture.

http://www.kidscreen.com/onscreen/speakers/mischel.html

Wow!!! Yes, yes. He's very attractive. And his CV is fabulous! Heidi-ho, you have a wonderful sounding friend. (Can I start referring to him now as "my boyfriend"? I could casually drop his name into conversations during the breaks in the bar exam: "Yes, well, my boyfriend, who, in layman's terms, is in charge of Casper the Friendly Ghost, is a very famous CEO. . . .")

Invite him to the wake - I look stunning in black! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

I think you're gonna have to post a picture of yourself so that the playing ground is even, so to speak.

O.k. - I'll e-mail one to you, as opposed to posting one here. There's no way, after last night's fiasco, that I'm posting a picture of myself up here. I don't want people to be able to identify me. (Dear God, I can see the headlines now "Irate horse show mom qua chat board addict blows lovely young equestrian away.")

I only have a black-and-white scanner here at home, so I'll have to scan photos for you AFTER the bar, when I can have access to a color scanner! This time next week. . . .

Elizabeth. Nobody does wakes like the IRISH catholics. Are we gonna have to throw down?

Yes, WHOA! Way to do it.

Now what I will do is agree with you politely -"Yes, WHOA, you guys sure know how to do wakes" - then I will scurry to the corner of the funeral parlor and mutter rude comments about you to my friends.

Thus keeping the under current of discord in the air. . . .

(At the post-wake gathering, we can drink ourselves silly and cry in our beer over the loss of the Merry Thread and then hug each other and make up. Does that sound about right?)

Well, almost. Don't forget that we have to tell exaggerated stories about the dead thread. You know, like "ah, that was the king of threads. Four hundred and thirty eight pages it was. We won't be seeing it's like again." Then we both nod knowingly and throw back some more beer.

If the disparaged thread is to die, we must keep this one near the top. I think those who post the unkind things are just jealous, a pretty easy thing at this time of year in Canada. Shiver!

The "do you remember" posts about California horses and riders of the 70s and 80s are such great fun to read, at least to someone pretty much from that era. Even with a failing memory, it's amazing how many names I remember well. And, now that I know who Merry is in real life, I remember her too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Cheers, Maggi
    Cheers, Maggi

But then, The Thread's secret lover, "Bush vs. Gore Thread" will stumble into the viewing room. There will be a hush.

"It can't be! It can't be!" Bush vs. Gore Thread will sob. Someone will hand him a silver flask of whiskey.

And we'll be wearing our Neiman-Marcus kidskin gloves, purchased at Fashion Island in Newport Beach(called "Fascist Island" by the locals). Here in California, we don't have our own chi-chi stores. We must import our fashion culture, otherwise we'd live in baggy, knee length Bermuda shorts and Old Navy t-shirts.

Merry states:
    We must import our fashion culture, otherwise we'd live in baggy, knee length Bermuda shorts and Old Navy t-shirts.

Gee, that attire's bad? Though, we in Northern California, particularly those on the chilly, foggy coast, wear baggy sweat shirts and pants over form fitting long underwear. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers, Maggi
    Cheers, Maggi

A good agnostic thread would have donated its body to science....

Any truth to the rumor that the thread recently married an amply-bosomed, intellectually-challenged young woman who will now stand to inherent the thread's entire estate?

(said with the sarcasm and irreverance of a born-and-raised East Coaster.)undefined

Justalurker, must you give away all of our fashion secrets. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

What happend to de thread [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Cece's Presley's horse seemed to have a one word name like Chesterton.....Heir apparent sounds familiar..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]