The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

We have been reminded frequently that the COTH moderators are unpaid volunteers with lives of their own.

Unfortunately, they seem to be looked upon as constant classroom monitors and a lot of unpleasant feelings have been tossed around on these forums recently.

Not so very long ago, the COTH BB members numbered a staggering 2,000. There were many who knew each other from personal experiences within the hunter/jumper world on the east coast who called their friends who let their friends know and soon we had members from California, Canada, the Pacific Northwest and Europe.

Those friends told their friends and the juniors and long time members of the old Equisearch boards gathered round as well. All together.

Back when there were a MASSIVE 2,000 members, moderators were concerned with keeping the forums interesting to a wide range of disciplines and areas. Scolding the topics that skewed towards interest of only a few happened with weekly regularity. Let's have a forum that is interesting to a majority.

The BB has grown astronimically. We have the same moderators as we did a year ago but the number of members is in the 6,000 range now.

We have had some favorite members drop out of sight, others have changed their screen names. Some, like our beloved CactusKate, have passed on. The BB is in a constant state of change and growth.

Feelings get hurt, either deliberately out of spite or unfortunately due to non interest of topics.

I am very proud to be a part of these forums and am extremely grateful for the friends, both local and virtual that I have made due to my participation on the COTH forums. I have a lot to be thankful for.

Now, for the heavy handed stuff.

Curb chain jingles, like prayers, are something that people offer up out of love, hope and sympathy. The constant requests in topic titles for "Jingles needed" for issues such as (and I am not pointing at ANY particular topic) "My horsie might be lame and the vet can't come out for three days" or "OT - I have to take a test, go for a home loan, get my truck serviced, etc" are really starting to JANGLE on the nerves. I don't bother to open topics that are titled that.

Now, COTH has given us frequent Off Topic days. How about NOT beginning with "OT but please let it go, I'll close it if..." You already know this topic isn't of interest.

I think that the COTH forums have grown with a swell of interested (and interesting new members). Since new members to the forums see what a great place this is, many wish to feel like they belong and start topics just to get into the mainstream. NO need! Most of the members have lurked for months and then posted on topics where they felt they had a good question or information to help the topic along. They then became familiar through their interaction with the rest of the members and, when they DID start a topic, it received the attention it deserved.

We have lost several very informative, interesting and knowledgeable members recently over silly semantics and noses out of joint. I don't like seeing this.

Sorry, moderators. I am about to raise the unhappy subject for a moment. Given Colin's past history on the boards, I saw no other ending for the events that were started by her the day before Thanksgiving. I feel that, had that particular point been made in a more diplomatic way, by any member but her AND mentioned in a tactful way to the moderators in a timely manner (without making a cruel, hurtful spectacle guaranteed to stir up a big brouhaha) the other, sadly missed members would still be sharing their experiences, wisdom and humor with the rest of us.

I stand by the rules I agreed to when I signed up for these forums.

Membership on the COTH is a gift, not a privledge, nor a purchased right. It is a forum privately sponsored and supported. I count myself fortunate to be able to access it freely and to have have been given the extreme leeway that I have taken advantage of.

I have had posts locked and been scolded privately by moderators. (I am naughty, not evil!) http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

In these days of instant access and communication, it is easy to forget that the people who are charged with managing these forums for the benefit of everyone are in the same situation as we. Students, office workers, parents, who are not accessable like the 24/7 "1-800" tech support people you call to figure out what is wrong with your computer.

Someone emails me after I leave work had darned well better not be irritated if I call in sick the next day and don't check my email from home. I am paid while at work. Moderators on the COTH forums donate their time.

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron

[This message was edited by Everythingbutwings on Jan. 15, 2003 at 06:00 PM.]

[This message was edited by Everythingbutwings on Jan. 17, 2003 at 06:01 PM.]
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

We have been reminded frequently that the COTH moderators are unpaid volunteers with lives of their own.

Unfortunately, they seem to be looked upon as constant classroom monitors and a lot of unpleasant feelings have been tossed around on these forums recently.

Not so very long ago, the COTH BB members numbered a staggering 2,000. There were many who knew each other from personal experiences within the hunter/jumper world on the east coast who called their friends who let their friends know and soon we had members from California, Canada, the Pacific Northwest and Europe.

Those friends told their friends and the juniors and long time members of the old Equisearch boards gathered round as well. All together.

Back when there were a MASSIVE 2,000 members, moderators were concerned with keeping the forums interesting to a wide range of disciplines and areas. Scolding the topics that skewed towards interest of only a few happened with weekly regularity. Let's have a forum that is interesting to a majority.

The BB has grown astronimically. We have the same moderators as we did a year ago but the number of members is in the 6,000 range now.

We have had some favorite members drop out of sight, others have changed their screen names. Some, like our beloved CactusKate, have passed on. The BB is in a constant state of change and growth.

Feelings get hurt, either deliberately out of spite or unfortunately due to non interest of topics.

I am very proud to be a part of these forums and am extremely grateful for the friends, both local and virtual that I have made due to my participation on the COTH forums. I have a lot to be thankful for.

Now, for the heavy handed stuff.

Curb chain jingles, like prayers, are something that people offer up out of love, hope and sympathy. The constant requests in topic titles for "Jingles needed" for issues such as (and I am not pointing at ANY particular topic) "My horsie might be lame and the vet can't come out for three days" or "OT - I have to take a test, go for a home loan, get my truck serviced, etc" are really starting to JANGLE on the nerves. I don't bother to open topics that are titled that.

Now, COTH has given us frequent Off Topic days. How about NOT beginning with "OT but please let it go, I'll close it if..." You already know this topic isn't of interest.

I think that the COTH forums have grown with a swell of interested (and interesting new members). Since new members to the forums see what a great place this is, many wish to feel like they belong and start topics just to get into the mainstream. NO need! Most of the members have lurked for months and then posted on topics where they felt they had a good question or information to help the topic along. They then became familiar through their interaction with the rest of the members and, when they DID start a topic, it received the attention it deserved.

We have lost several very informative, interesting and knowledgeable members recently over silly semantics and noses out of joint. I don't like seeing this.

Sorry, moderators. I am about to raise the unhappy subject for a moment. Given Colin's past history on the boards, I saw no other ending for the events that were started by her the day before Thanksgiving. I feel that, had that particular point been made in a more diplomatic way, by any member but her AND mentioned in a tactful way to the moderators in a timely manner (without making a cruel, hurtful spectacle guaranteed to stir up a big brouhaha) the other, sadly missed members would still be sharing their experiences, wisdom and humor with the rest of us.

I stand by the rules I agreed to when I signed up for these forums.

Membership on the COTH is a gift, not a privledge, nor a purchased right. It is a forum privately sponsored and supported. I count myself fortunate to be able to access it freely and to have have been given the extreme leeway that I have taken advantage of.

I have had posts locked and been scolded privately by moderators. (I am naughty, not evil!) http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

In these days of instant access and communication, it is easy to forget that the people who are charged with managing these forums for the benefit of everyone are in the same situation as we. Students, office workers, parents, who are not accessable like the 24/7 "1-800" tech support people you call to figure out what is wrong with your computer.

Someone emails me after I leave work had darned well better not be irritated if I call in sick the next day and don't check my email from home. I am paid while at work. Moderators on the COTH forums donate their time.

Friendship is Love without his wings
    -Lord Byron

[This message was edited by Everythingbutwings on Jan. 15, 2003 at 06:00 PM.]

[This message was edited by Everythingbutwings on Jan. 17, 2003 at 06:01 PM.]
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Loudoun, VA (unless the new board raises taxes again)

Exercising self-restraint?!?! What a concept! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I don\'t believe in political jokes - I\'ve seen too many of them get elected.

Very well stated. I guess this means I have to stop posting about my OT escapades now, eh?

~Disclaimer:
    The opinions expressed in this post are not neccessarily the views of this poster.~
    ~This is *way* more fun than doing something productive~

Deep space - corner of no and where (aka Texas)

Book: If you take advantage of her, you\'re going to burn in a very special level of Hell, a level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater. Firefly

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Two Hooves Up ETBW http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif
    Thank You.

"Proud Member Of The I Loff Starman Babies, Sunnieflax and Horse Boxes Cliques" Bora Da

Wow.

What a well-thought-out, respectful, thought-provoking post.

Thank you ETBW.

I was telling my 7th grade son just this morning that there are always some kids in the class that choose to draw attention to themselves by disrupting the class. My advice to him was to IGNORE THEM.

I didn't realize I was giving him the very guideline that I use myself here on this BB. I have gotten quite choosy about what topics I open, and if I do wander somewhere a little "touchy" I just leave. Simple.

I love the COTH BB, and will continue to check in for news and advice. And who knows, one day I may need to cry out for a little help myself. It's good to know there are those, anonymous as they are, that do really understand about what life with horses is all about.

"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning to sail my ship."
    -Louisa May Alcott
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Very well said as usual, Wingsy.

And before anyone goes pointing fingers saying, "You posted on that thread, too!! Ewww!!" yes, you're right, I did. But that does not mean that I agreed with everything on there or that some people did not read in GREATLY to what was posted there.

Had the whole thread not been deleted, I could prove my point.

That's my say. And I in no way want to detract from what ETBW has posted here or want to see this thread diverted into some sort of diatribe against the COTH. Some people got carried away; sorry if what I or other people posted caused upset to anyone -- that was truly not the intent. But again, much of what was said there was innuendo and people read into it what they wanted. What that says about all of us, I'm not sure.

** Dear Cupid: All I really want for Valentine's Day is flying LEAD CHANGES!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_mad.gif **
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Very well said.

I have not been on the boards a lot lately because it has gotten to the point where there is barely any information. Most of the posts are of pictures, jingle jangles, or OT. I really want to see the boards back the way they were a year ago although I still appreciate them now.

Also, a big Thank You to the moderaters.

They Rock

~Andrea and Dream~
    *Challenge Everything*
    http://www.geocities.com/eventingdre...?1041827280020
    http://www.horsecarolina.com/Persona...es/Wonders.htm <my story from 2001
    Drea

Well stated, as usual, Wings!

Bravo!!!!! My horse couldn't have said it better herself..if she could talk of course.

Spellers of the world untie
    \"If mamma ain\'t happy, ain\'t nobody happy\"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beezer:
    What that says about all of us, I'm not sure.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, I totally agree with this sentiment! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif But hey, it's over and done...on to more horsey stuff! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_cool.gif

Great post, ETBW. I regularly exercise self-moderation by simply NOT clicking the "Post Now" button sometimes. As in all of life, you have to "pick your battles" on the BB. Let's all be a little more choosy. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

~Sara
    *Charter member of the GM Fan Club*
    *Member of the Dirt Divers 78th Airborne Unit, ATH Squadron*

ETBW, yes well put. Thank you for that post,http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_cool.gif
    (But gee wiz some of that thread sure was funny to a snowed in and froze up farrier, up here in Canada.) http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_cool.gif http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    Regards John

Not only does she make a kick-ash chicken salad

She can also pinch-hit as the voice of reason.

Hear! Hear!

I skip 90% of the threads myself.

Mel

When in doubt.....LISTEN to Wings! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

ETBW had a thread locked?

(Walks away shaking head in disbelief)

I've only ever been emailed once because some ignoramous insulted me, and the moderators felt that I might go postal... http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Move over DMK, ETBW is my new hero!!!

Proud member of the Sunnieflax Clique, IDAC Clique http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    "Poster formerly known as SQW"
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

Very accurately and eloquently put ETBW...

Now I just hope that the people who really should read this post do so.

Cheers http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

"Animals are such agreeable friends. They ask no questions and they pass no criticisms."
    \"Animals are such agreeable friends. They ask no questions and they pass no criticisms.\"