The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Standing: 1
    Roundpen: none
    Undersaddle: 2, 3, 4

Reasoning? 1 because head is straight on unlike 2 and 3.
    Roundpen, they all look forced with the sidepulls on especially. IMO.
    Undersaddle, 2, 3, and 4 all seem to be the most relaxed with variety in them. I would love to see other "action" shots as I didnt find any particularly flattering
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

I don't know what you're selling him for. All three conformation pictures look REALLY downhill, butt high and skinny neck. I would get him someplace with a straight background so he doesn't look SO downhill. You also need the sun from behind the photographer, not from behind the horse.

At least the first roundpen picture makes him look a little level.

I wouldn't put a sale picture with a kid riding in shorts, but for those, pictures 3 and 4 show some training.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I don't know what you're selling him for.
    What does this mean? "Why are you selling him?" or "How much are you selling him for?" or something else?

Looks like you put a lot of time and effort into presenting a tidy horse in a variety of situations. He looks well-cared for and like he's a kind, sweet horse.

I agree with not using the standing photos ... because of his conformation they're not a good advertisement for him (sorry ).

I thought round pen #1 looked okay.

Definitely don't use the 'for fun' ones .

#1-5 under saddle look nice, too.

He is unfortunately hollow and badly unbalanced in all the photos where he's trotting or cantering. I think it would hurt his chances more than help them to use those. Does he go better with an adult aboard?

If he has a nice nature and is a kind ride I would not be over-generous with photos; write good ad text and try to get people to come and see him in person ASAP.

Good luck!

I wouldn't use any of the standing pictures. He looks too downhill. I also wouldn't use any of the "fun" pictures. I would put a saddle on him and redo the standing pictures. I love Pic #4 with the kid - that says a lot about the horse's temperament (good). The first round pen one of him walking was good. The others made him look off balance, like he was running.

Quote Originally Posted by xQHDQ View Post
    I wouldn't use any of the standing pictures. He looks too downhill. I also wouldn't use any of the "fun" pictures. I would put a saddle on him and redo the standing pictures. I love Pic #4 with the kid - that says a lot about the horse's temperament (good). The first round pen one of him walking was good. The others made him look off balance, like he was running.
    That is one of my pet peeves- I want to see a pic of the horse without tack. If it's standing in tack, it makes me wonder why.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I would use #1 of standing confo shot and 1-5 of the kid riding him. I somewhat disagree (but am on the fence) with posters who think you shouldn't show the confo shot.

I think the pictures should be flattering but also honestly depict the horse so that when people take the time to come see him they have a good idea of what they are going to see. Someone looking for an easygoing kids horse may not be so put off by holes in training, or greeness or confo issues and it's not like the horse is a dog. He's cute. He just could use some time with a trainer and some muscling. And an experienced horse person should be able to have a very good idea from those photo's of what they will see when they get there.

I agree, get someone to help you stand him up (somewhere slightly uphill) and I bet you can get a more flattering confo shot. The ones in the roundpen are not good. I love the ones with the kid on him, except for the trotting one. If you can find an adult rider that could show of his gaits better that would help. He looks like a good boy!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Part of your confirmation (standing) photos is the background. If you'll notice the road and grass are not aligned with the horse, they may be adding to the downhill look making it worse than it may be.

The riding photos are great but if you want to present a more professional look have the child in western attire, i.e. jeans. THANK YOU for the boots and helmet but the shorts outfit doesn't work.

Maybe try a picture from a front angle. Look at confirmation pictures from shows etc and see how they set up the horse and the angle at which the take the picture.

Good luck, your horse looks sweet and I personally like him!

Quote Originally Posted by kalidascope View Post
    What does this mean? "Why are you selling him?" or "How much are you selling him for?" or something else?
    Good luck!
    In this context I took it to mean "for what purpose?" Of course I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    I agree, get someone to help you stand him up (somewhere slightly uphill) and I bet you can get a more flattering confo shot. The ones in the roundpen are not good. I love the ones with the kid on him, except for the trotting one. If you can find an adult rider that could show of his gaits better that would help. He looks like a good boy!
    I agree here. The second "fun" one makes him look lop eared. Number one in the round pen is ok, the other two, no. For this horse showing him being ridden is the best way to go (along with confo shot #2 if you don't want to retake). Keep one of the kid, then show one of an adult riding, in conservative clothes.

I think he looks nice as a pleasure horse. I did like the shot of him going over the board. I don't think you'll sell him as a performance horse today, due to his conformation (I am not sure work will improve, maybe), but as I said, for pleasure he seems very appropriate.

Good luck!

The for fun pictures wernt serious lol they just happened to happen during the process. As far as red goes she really isnt as downhill as the pictures make her out to be.

Here is another confo shot but I am unsure about using it.
    http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...4-23185509.jpg

Here is a picture from a few weeks ago
    http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...s/a8b58c91.jpg

I'm having a problem finding a flat area to take pictures with.

As far as the kid pictures, here is another trot picture I like better but the kids head is starting to be cut off.

I guess if I do a close crop it wouldn't look bad. Red does look a ton better in this picture that the other trotting picture. (Honestly Red is a saint, she was all over the place and Red kept trucking along)
    http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...i/af425a84.jpg

And as far as attire goes, not my kid not my choice as far as what she is wearing for the day, but it doesn't look too bad overall.

As far as adult pictures go I was thinking of using one of the old ones?
    http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...c/IMG_1744.jpg
    http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...c/IMG_1783.jpg
    Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
    I am pro-Slaughter

This is a better confo pic:

Not keen on the cropping here at all- horse is nice, but the cropping puts him in an awkward spot in the photo.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/...i/af425a84.jpg
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Oh as far as selling goes, she does lots of trail stuff
    Last edited by Kitari; Apr. 29, 2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Too detailed
    Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
    I am pro-Slaughter

KC, none of the pictures have been cropped yet, that was just how that camera shot came out.
    I am pro-Slaughter

Quote Originally Posted by Kitari View Post
    The for fun pictures wernt serious lol they just happened to happen during the process. As far as red goes she really isnt as downhill as the pictures make her out to be.

Here is another confo shot but I am unsure about using it.

As far as adult pictures go I was thinking of using one of the old ones?
    http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...c/IMG_1744.jpg
    http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...c/IMG_1783.jpg
    This conformation picture is quite good (I would use this picture), shows that the horse isn't really downhill, the first ones I were that way because the background was giving the illusion of being downhill.

I'd also put the first adjust picture in and one of the child. The first adult one isn't bad and the conformation of the horse looks better (better angle) and one child pic to show the horse is good with children.

Best wishes, a good horse with a great disposition is worth it's weight in gold.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I really like her and think that for what she is she'll sell well. I wouldn't over stress the confo pics, obviously someone looking to buy a trail safe children's horse won't (or shouldn't) be expecting perfect confo. I would use the confo of her standing in the field, and one of the ones of her doing the obstacles with the child abroad. I wouldn't worry about the pics with an adult abroad (the first one is cute but doesn't really say anything about her, and the 2nd one has bad timing). You can always put "more pictures available upon request" in the ad. I'd try to get a video of her with a child riding too. The child's attire is fine - she's wearing a helmet and boots, and it's not like you're selling an A show pony. Yeah I agree jeans would be ideal, but we're selling the horse here, and nothing the child is wearing detracts from the focus on the horse.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Confo: in the field
    Child: stepping over fence, and the one handed one, where child's left hand rests on her thigh
    Very nice horse, looks safe and kind, perfect weight, her coat is blindingly glossy.
    Why is she called Red? LOL

Now that you've managed to get your free ad up here, let me know how successful you are
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Now that you've managed to get your free ad up here, let me know how successful you are
    Must admit I had the same thought--"How is this not an ad?"

However, I don't see Kitari's location even in her public profile, so to me that doesn't seem to support the idea that she's trying to get away with something. For her to sell the horse this way, anyone who responded would coincidentally have to be in the same area as she is unless they were willing to sink more money into travel and horse shipping than the horse is worth, which seems unlikely. Unless a whole bunch of people already know where she is.

I see what you're saying though.