The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 24YO Andalusian gelding in Texas

Please do not be alarmed that somebody is dumping a helpless old horse. That is not the case. This horse is in no danger.

The Good

This is a lovely and loved horse who is handled daily. Up to date on shots, worming, teeth, and trimming. Fit, sound, hardy, and healthy (to the best of my knowledge). No maintenance issues. Easy keeper. Does not need a lot of coddling. Excellent barefoot, tough hooves.

Lovely ground manners. Lovely under saddle. I ride him in a rope halter. No bad habits. He is a totally finished saddle horse with advanced training and several IAHLA national championships (with a previous owner). He has lovely smooth gaits and is very athletic. He has a quiet jog on a loose rein and also a huge trot if you collect him and ask for it. Automatic lead changes. He is clicker trained (though he’s not playful and doesn't enjoy tricks).

With the right rider and some conditioning, he could be shown this year. He is very interesting, complex, beautiful, and fun to ride.

The Bad

He’s spooky, and he has a lot of anxiety. He doesn't really trust people. He is deathly afraid of plastic or anything that flutters in the breeze. He has issues with scary things approaching his right ear. He is very forward and hyper-alert on trails. His reaction to a scary situation is to leap sideways and flee (though he’s not inclined to go far. He’s not a bolter or a runaway.)

He is not kid safe or beginner safe. He is not a schoolmaster or a packer.

He’s not sweet and cuddly. He is very sensitive, reactive, and complicated.

He is 24 years old, and will not be rideable forever.

The requirements

He needs to live outside with shelter and a companion. A riding home is fine as long as you’re realistic about his age and his temperament. I will check references. I do not want someone to take him for the purpose of reselling him.

This picture was taken yesterday.

That is one fat, happy-looking horse! Hope you find the right situation for him.

What a beautiful boy and what a surprising but lovely color! I was thinking he would be a grey. I don't know why, but I always picture Andalusians as being grey.

Unfortunately my days of riding such horses as he are past. But I hope he gets the great home he deserves.

I am of an age to ride quiet, unflappable horses, who don't notice plastic bags when they drift by and don't "spook" now.