The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

no. but i had a suspicion that they had changed how they rode him.

I am happy to see the partnership grow. I also hope that now that they have the key that they will begin to try to school more classically.

I have gotten quite prosaic about riding.... sometimes things dont look pretty... and sometimes you have to do what works for teh horse...
    all i can hope is that they continue to work the horse to the most classical way they can.

in any event i like Totilas better with MR - he isnt hyper dilated , tense, freak that he was with EG.

Fantastic..and anyone on this forum should know that you don't just automatically have a partnership with a horse...it takes time.

sure there may be some RK in the training, but at least he is wearing a hard hat in the warm up. Does a positive negate the negative?

Quote Originally Posted by canyonoak View Post
    << After his successful ride at Hagen, Matthias Rath told the press that part of this success is thanks to the fact that he added some elements of the Dutch training system to his new training regime.>>
    Do you suppose he watched The Taming of Totilas video ?

What a wonderful improvement.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

There's much more flexibility and relaxation in Rath's arms. I heaved a great sigh of relief.

That looked nice! Both looked much happier, and I really liked the music choices chosen by whoever picks music there!

I will say that was one of the better extended trots I've seen from Totilas (note, I've only seen youtube rides).

That ride made me smile.

Such a lovely test. I'm glad to see horse and rider so happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    Do you suppose he watched The Taming of Totilas video ?
    I don't know, but kudos to him for realizing he had to do something differently.

Really like the first half pass tour that horse is so damn athletic !
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Thumbs up PS' commentary

I could hear only a Small part of PS' commentary; What I remember is: this only a shadow of what he can do; re. the pirouettes; these will improve as he gets stronger
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

do you suppose he knows about Parelli?send them this video and see what happens
    Last edited by Carol Ames; Apr. 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: typos
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Carol, I was trying NOT to say anyhting like ... maybe they got help from Linda Parelli!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by canyonoak View Post
    << After his successful ride at Hagen, Matthias Rath told the press that part of this success is thanks to the fact that he added some elements of the Dutch training system to his new training regime.>>
    Canyonoak - where did you read that. I'd like to pass it on to a friend who is doubting the story.

Thanks.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

well, its obvious they added some dutch methods - because he is rollkuring the horse!

that is proven by the links posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    There's much more flexibility and relaxation in Rath's arms. I heaved a great sigh of relief.

THIS!!!!! And also in his seat.....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    The most profound change in Rath's seat is that someone is teaching him to ride behind the vertical. Not talking about the horse here, but rather, Rath is learning to drop his shoulders far back behind the vertical. The SRS riders all have to do this as part of their training.

It strengthens the core muscles and abs, but it also teaches/shows the rider a position of strength when combined with the "hand-hip" connection.

He is learning to ride "in" the horse rather than "on" the horse.
    Interesting observation. In one of my clinics with the biomechanics instructor I've been riding with my horse was a bucking, bolting idiot - and that's almost exactly what she was telling me as far as same word choice, even. Not what to do all the time, but what to do when my horse is trying to bully me, and what gets an instant and correct "yes, ma'am!" kind of response.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Posted by netg:

Quote: Originally Posted by BaroquePony

The most profound change in Rath's seat is that someone is teaching him to ride behind the vertical. Not talking about the horse here, but rather, Rath is learning to drop his shoulders far back behind the vertical. The SRS riders all have to do this as part of their training.

It strengthens the core muscles and abs, but it also teaches/shows the rider a position of strength when combined with the "hand-hip" connection.

He is learning to ride "in" the horse rather than "on" the horse.
    Interesting observation. In one of my clinics with the biomechanics instructor I've been riding with my horse was a bucking, bolting idiot - and that's almost exactly what she was telling me as far as same word choice, even. Not what to do all the time, but what to do when my horse is trying to bully me, and what gets an instant and correct "yes, ma'am!" kind of response
    Sounds like you have found a good instructor .

I think that not learning to do the ^ above is the single greatest weakness of our American riders.

It is extremely important first because it will allow a rider to push a difficult horse forward ... when they are going forward they cannot rear, they cannot buck (very hard), they cannot balk, and they cannot run backwards. That is for the sticky times.

It also is very useful, when applied in a subtle manner, to help develop the horse's back and engage the hindquarters.

It is the foundation of the half-halt executed totally from the seat into the hand.

ETA: for anyone else who is follwing this ... do not interpret the above ^ material to mean that you "push the horse with your seat"; that is not what that means. It means that you develop a velcro seat and then you are able to use your lower legs correctly to drive the horse forward, and it also means that you are able to use your back and hips properly. It is about learning to shift your center of gravity in the saddle from a foundation of strength (velcro) while riding a 1200 pound powerhouse.

BaroquePony - question re your comments on MR's seat. When you said that he is now "dropping his shoulders behind the verticle" can you explain what you mean? I'm presuming that you dont mean that he's leaning back from his hips? What would it feel like to the rider to do this?
    Meanwhile I'll go watch the video again and see if I can see what you are referring to. I don't have a bullying problem from my horse but always interested in more of the finer points!
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Riding behind the vertical is nothing new for Rath.