The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Totilas Grand Prix at Hagen 2012 Video

I think that they looked terrific! Great to see this horse back on form.

I'm not one to over analyze the Toto/MR videos, but I have to say, I thought this pair looked terrific here, the horse seemed to me to be loose and flowing and MR was sure a happy camper at the end.

GOOD FOR HIM! Glad to see this.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

I think he did a fabulous job. Fabulous!!

One thing I want to throw in because everyone has been scrutinizing all of this (myself included), Rath still falls out to the left on occasion (no rider is perfect), BUT he is definately learning to really sit and use his core and his back and it shows.

I think he is truly showing world class work and Totilas is looking very fluid underneath him .

I only throw in the *critique* because this is a great learning experience for any of you/us that strive to become the best riders we can be.

Here we have seen that even good riders have their demons.

Certainly a huge improvement in all the right directions I believe. The loosest and most relaxed that I have ever seen him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bats79 View Post
    Certainly a huge improvement in all the right directions I believe. The loosest and most relaxed that I have ever seen him.
    Yes, bravo! I refrained from talking too much about the transition because clearly the horse was being ridden differently and after so many years under EG what horse would not have some problems transitioning to a new rider and new style of riding?

People that are fans of the tense, cranked in riding of EG might not like it, but I too think it's the happiest and most relaxed and best I have ever seen him go.

love it! and agree w/ PP

<< After his successful ride at Hagen, Matthias Rath told the press that part of this success is thanks to the fact that he added some elements of the Dutch training system to his new training regime.>>

Yes--allowing the horse instead of 'telling' him has worked wonders. Not to mention letting the horse do his job instead of pulling and pushing.
    SO very difficult for a rider to change--hats off to MAR.
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Aha, just as I suspected - that he added Dutch elements to his training. I tip my hat to him!

--allowing the horse instead of 'telling' him has worked wonders. Not to mention letting the horse do his job instead of pulling and pushing
    This is not a new concept, nor is it exclusively Dutch.

You can clearly see that MR has changed his style of riding. It is working!!! Toto looks uber loose and relaxed and the whole test just flowed. Matthias smiled in many parts of the test, they both look like they had fun. Bravo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    This is not a new concept, nor is it exclusively Dutch.
    Actually, letting the horse do and not pushing and pulling is so non-dutch as something can be. At least if you're thinking in stereotypes (or systems).

MAR on Totilas was a frightened young man on a horse a size too large. Happy to see that he could get more self confidence and stopped over-controlling the horse.

AHH MUCH BETTER.

It was sink or swim before. And the mark of a truly great rider is one who can adapt to suit the horse. Rath has it in him and he has improved so very much in the last many months. I'm so very pleased to see he has decided to swim. The results of the hard work in private shows itself in public.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

edit
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

Was nice to see MR relax and smile.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

fwiw, there are pics of MR using RK on Totilas in warmup. here is what i posted about it on FB:

it's too bad to see the RK being done, however, i suppose i understand that this is how the horse was trained before so they need to do this to get him to perform now. However, i would hope (naive, i know) that now that they are "in" that they will slowly modify Totilas's training to a more classical school - but of course this will take time since RK is all he has ever known.

http://www.reiterrevue.de/Horses-and...er-832767.html

The most profound change in Rath's seat is that someone is teaching him to ride behind the vertical. Not talking about the horse here, but rather, Rath is learning to drop his shoulders far back behind the vertical. The SRS riders all have to do this as part of their training.

It strengthens the core muscles and abs, but it also teaches/shows the rider a position of strength when combined with the "hand-hip" connection.

He is learning to ride "in" the horse rather than "on" the horse.

I agree BP--first thing I noticed in looking at the video is how different MAR's seat/posture is compared to earlier videos--jm impressions though I've not followed closely.

ahhh..... more ugly pics ....

http://www.pferdplus.com/bilderserie...kur-konsequent

editing to add : if you read what is written under the RK pics it says what i thought: that they need to do this now because it is what he knows - over time they will attempt to retrain him.

it also stated that they used RK for a short time in the beginning of the warmup and then didn't use it again.

this is the final quite from the series above:

"Klaus-Martin Rath and Paul Schockemöhle have apparently cracked the code Totila. But at what cost ...?"

indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    love it! and agree w/ PP
    So, you've changed your mind since post # 7?