The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Yep, a chicken poop question! (update for Zu!)

Never did I think I'd be asking

I have no idea how much of the following is pertinent but just in case

Chickens are in the 6-7 week range. They've been eating appropriate growth feed, and for a week now have been living outside in a bottomless coop (so access to grass, dirt, mulch, whatever is there where I move it, always a mix). Prior to that they'd been getting handsful of chickweed and assorted greens to eat, or not.

The last several days they have "free ranged" for as long as it took me to move the coop, clean/refill water and feed containers, so 15 minutes about.

Today they have free ranged for most of the day, eating all the same things.

Their poop has been, for weeks now, a combination of more solid poop, more runny poop, and everything in between. They have also has nearly free choice access to grit. The solid poop has been pretty white, the runnier stuff getting more and more brown the runnier it gets.

Today is the first day I noticed (doesn't mean it hasn't happened, just haven't seen) that one of them was pecking at and eating the white poop.

Is this common/natural? Does it mean they are missing something?
    Last edited by JB; May. 4, 2012 at 01:57 PM.

Are they on medicated chick feed? It could be coccidia since they are just now being exposed to dirt and that organism for the first time. Do any seem "hunched up" and just looking unwell? The darker feces could be blood. Hard to say without seeing for sure. The pecking at poop is pretty normal, they usually figure out pretty quick that it is nasty. I have noticed that my young birds will go through some loose stools when they first get outside until their systems can adjust to new things. Good luck!

Nope, the darker poop is caramel-colored, not at all looking like it might be bloody, not even "black" blood. Nobody is hunched or otherwise acting anything but chicken-like.

I wonder if I just didn't give them enough grit when they started living outside?

Good to know pecking at the poop is normal

They forget that it's their poop and they think it's something new and possibly edible. The white in the poo is their urea/pee and the rest is poo. The more greens/bugs they eat the darker and looser it gets. They're like all other creatures and it changes according to what they're eating so I'd say worry if it's a big splat of runny green and white and they're fluffed up and miserably not eating; otherwise they're being totally normal for baby chicks.

Carry on!

I really need to get on reading some of the info on chickens I've been meaning to get to LOLOL

JUST last night I was thinking "ok, surely chickens have PEE!" lmao! I'm so out of my element here

They are VERY happy chicklets so far Entertaining me to no end!

They are fun little things-I have seven right now that are about the same age and I can watch them for hours. Sweet baby biddies.

Backyardchickens.com is, as someone else mentioned, the COTH of the chicken world! They've talked me through surgery on a duck!

yep, I've got that site bookmarked and have been there a few times, but haven't really dug in - I do hear it rocks!

Surgery on a duck? LOLOL

JB, a) totally normal. b) if you want a handy reference book, I usually recommend this one.

Now if only I'd had time to socialize my own chicks. They're 7 weeks old and while not as scared of me as some past batches, certainly not interested in being friendly. Guess I'll have to resort to scratch bribery...

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

And here I thought only horsepeople were poop-centric...

Sounds like dietary changes in your chicks' droppings.
    Coccidia will show as bloody - if you want, BYC can link you to an entire page of poop pics

If you're worried you can get Corid (amprolium) at TSC.
    Wish I could give you the pint bottle I got when my 9-weekers had some "bloody show".
    A teaspoon in their water for 10 days and everyone was fine, but I have what amounts to a Lifetime supply of the stuff...now 3yo.

Your chicks will get plenty grit on their own from dirt, pebbles, etc outside.
    But chickgrit is cheap enough to keep a dish in their coop for them to free feed.
    Once my hens went fulltime freerange they pretty much ignored the dish of grit I left for them in the coop.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Default A Secret

Chicken poop is prized fertilizer to some people...........
    I get my coop cleaned out by someone for the poop once a month.

Urban, yep, that's the book on my list to get Though I saw one at Southern States that I think was also a recommendation when I asked for some. I have to hit Tractor Supply today, and they might well have that Storey's Guide book.

IF I see someone starting to look puny, I'll look into that Corid.

I know folks love cp for fertilizer. I don't intend to have to have a lot to clean up LOL

Unless they look unwell (not eating, fluffed up, eyes closed, lethargic, & just generally miserable-looking), don't worry about it. Chicken poop will naturally change colors depending on what they're eating. Lots of greens & fresh fruit/veggie scraps? Shades of green. Grain, insects, & plain old dirt? All shades of brown & gray.

Oh, & the "white" part of the poop is essentially the "urine".

Default NO ADVICE `` JUST HAD TO FIND OUT 'WHAT' THE QUESTION MIGHT BE !

NO ADVICE OR KNOWLEDGE `` JUST HAD TO FIND OUT WHAT THE QUESTION MIGHT BE !

BUT SINCERELY HOPE 'THIS' IS NOT A PROBLEM AND

WISHING ALL THE CHICKS GOOD HEALTH !

JINGLES FOR 'NORMAL' CHICKEN POOP AND PEE ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Just wait, the dog will love it too, for snacks and a good roll. Blecch.

I've never actually lost a chicken to disease but they do have a wide range of poop both in color and texture in healthy birds.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Oh, trust me, the dawgs have already discovered chicken poop

Just since posting this, nearly every deposit I've seen has firmed up. Still the greenish brown color, nothing is black or "black" indicating blood, so it does indeed seem this is an acclimation deal

Got the Storey's Guide today

Zu- you're a riot

Default CHICKEN $HIT ~ HOW IS 'THIS' COMING ALONG ?! UPDATE ??

CHICKEN $HIT ~~ UPDATE PLEASE ?

EVERYTHING MOVING ALONG WITH THE CORRECT CONSISTENCY ? AND COLOR ??

lmao!!

The chicken $hit looks just like it oughta look, I think LOLOL

Everything has firmed up by at least a factor of 2-3, which seems to put it right about where it should be

Default COULDN'T LET IT GO ``` PICTURES OR VIDEO ~ PLEASE ?!!

WELL HOW DO WE REALLY KNOW EVERYTHING IS COPASETIC WITH THE CHICKENS ~ UNLESS OF COURSE THE OP PROVIDES PICTURES OR A VIDEO ?!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    lmao!!

The chicken $hit looks just like it oughta look, I think LOLOL

Everything has firmed up by at least a factor of 2-3, which seems to put it right about where it should be

If you want to do a fun chicken poop experiment feed them purple cabbage... The result is a little scary

Zu, just for you, I will take a poop picture tomorrow!

Redmond - ok, now I'm going to have to try that

Maybe the poop will be red tomorrow? Tonight they FEASTED on a big mound full of those big, fat, JUICY *red* ants. And little ant babies. Chickens:1, ants:0