The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Some of y'all have never seen a donkey or mule pogoing around the pasture, playing. When my geldings crank up their engines and run around, Chico donk is trailing, pogoing, nose up, just like this silly mule.

Am I the only one who did not see that video as a training moment. Sometimes you have to get the sillys out of them before you can train and it looked to me like free lunging in a round pen.

Whatever it was, it was not abusive. It doesn't help anyone to be quick to throw that word around.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Some of y'all have never seen a donkey or mule pogoing around the pasture, playing. When my geldings crank up their engines and run around, Chico donk is trailing, pogoing, nose up, just like this silly mule.
    LOL, Pogoing?

Silly mule propped up kind of like 'that didn't happen, I meant to do that!'
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pronzini View Post
    Am I the only one who did not see that video as a training moment. Sometimes you have to get the sillys out of them before you can train and it looked to me like free lunging in a round pen.
    Silly you, having that opinion does not allow you to complain about how horrible this trainer is....

ROFL at the "dead bloated horse!"

Whatever it was, it was not abusive.
    Certainly not abusive, but I've seen trainers with better timing. From what I could see, there were at lest five or six times when the mule slowed down a little and clearly swiveled his ear toward the human, which to me means "I'm willing to make a change." And trainer just kept on telling the mule to run. Either the human didn't notice or it wasn't enough of a change for him. Either way, not the best timing.

That said, it's ALWAYS easy to see what someone else is doing "wrong." Not so easy to do it ourselves.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I actually agree with Bluey here.

Mule is very pretty.
    But the mule was racing around cross cantering, and unbalanced. Not much "training" going on.
    Ditto.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

^_^

Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    Either way, the mule lost footing and took a spill. The mule could have done that in the pasture by itself. I wouldn't label anything in that video as abusive.
    I don't think I'd label it as abusive either but it sure looks like bad training. You can still "send the horse away" while letting him break momentary to the trot to swap leads or rebalance. Why you would continue to push when he's cross cantering to the point of falling?

Whatever it was, it was not abusive. It doesn't help anyone to be quick to throw that word around.
    No, you aren't. If you'd read the 7 pages before your post you would have see how Everyone said, "not abusive", and most everyone commented on the useless running in a circle.

The pogoing video cracked me up. I've never seen that before and had no idea donks ran about like that!

I disagree that is what the mule in the video was doing.
    The donkeys are running around, heads up and then down playing, never frantic trying to run from something chasing them, unbalanced, as the mule seemed to be doing.

Granted, as already stated, the video may have been some bad moments in some good training session, that we don't know.

I didn't study the video or watch the entire thing. I watched until he took a spill. Bad timing - yes. Abuse- no. Pogoing early on- yes

Mule had his head stuck up his....

ahh, too easy!

he was not paying attention. I am ASSuming he could not afford to.

Yep, the session went a bit pear shaped, no biggy. Momma said there'll be days like this.

In answer to the OP's original question, I have not been accused of abusing my horse, but I have been accused of abusing my dog. I had the bad little dog out hiking with me and was walking along with another hiker we had met and her dog. Another person was approaching with his dog and this dog was acting aggressively, so we moved off of the path. Shea started acting out, so I nudged him with my knee to get his attention off the dog and back onto me. (I could have used the e collar and nicked him but I thought the nudge would be better.)The other hiker asked me to please stop correcting Shea and that aggression from me would only make my dog aggressive. And that the e collar was abusive. All I could think was she had no idea how far Shea had come from all the training I had done, in particular with the e collar. He no longer launches at bearded men, horses, bikers etc. Shea can be allowed to run free on hikes because of the training, but hey, she claimed to be a trainer and so she must know my dog better than me

That video made for a good morning laugh. Oh my, those suckers are fun to watch.

PS - I will be sure to tell my two mares that when they run around the pasture with their heads up in the air that they are supposed to be distressed or whatever other words you people labelled it.

Quote Originally Posted by Niennor View Post
    I'm sorry, I must be missing something... How do you jump from a horse - or mules, in this case -tripping and falling to abuse?

Because equines would never trip and fall on their own, right? Oh, wait...
    Well, it must be easy to jump to the "abuse" conclusion, because the NYC carriage horse drivers get accused of abuse just because they hitch their horses up to carriages.

And when a carriage horse trips and falls- all hell breaks loose with the radical anti-carriage extremists spewing curses at the driver and anyone trying to help the horse up.

What a great video! They look like they are a bunch of kindergarteners playing a wild game of tag.

I was accused of abuse once. I was accused of starving a two year old on this very forum. He was NOT a two year old, but a 26 year old retired lesson horse that was very thin that I had adopted. I adopted him in February and was accused of starving him in April. I had him in my possession for barely 8 weeks and was trying desperately to put weight on him and to do the right thing by him. I was forced to put him down because of the repercussions of the accusations of abuse that were unfounded and absolutely untrue. No one bothered to find out who owned the horse or what his circumstances were. They just took pictures, put them on the internet and destroyed his life and a lot of others.