The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Well, I am finally ready to start this marathon! But first, a little background:

I had been working for Hilltop since FL. Conrad and Joe had finally told Frances that they would be leaving after Devon. Conrad and I had been in constant contact finalizing our arrangements for me to come to work for them. I worked for Hilltop at Devon, and Balbuco and Pueblo came into my care a day or two before the show ended, when Foxwood left. So, I had them in addition to my Hilltop string to care for. The last day, I helped Wendy pack up and leave and then I think I stayed one more night and was picked up the next morning by a commercial shipper to take us to Gladstone. It took me 30 minutes to get Buccy's shipping halter on - he was distrustful of people he didn't know and didn't like his shipping halter.

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a rather high "excitement" factor, so you can imagine that I was on sensory overload to be moving into Gladstone with two wonderful horses prior to going to Europe for three months!! I mean, can you understand??? We were at Gladstone for about a week, I think, and the horses didn't really do a whole lot, as we would have plenty of prep time in Germany before the first show.

The dressage team flew over with us on the same plane, and for you DQs out there, I have some pictures you will see of them doing their thing at Aachen. The dressage team that tour was Hilda Gurney and Keen, Gwen Stockebrand and Bao, Lendon Gray and Beppo and Edith Masters and ? can't remember her horse, but it was the one she had had for a good while. Lendon was stabled right across from me in the lower level of the barn, much preferred as it is very quiet down there, not as much activity.

The SJ team consisted of Conrad with my two, Michael Matz with Jet Run, Sandor and Grande, Karen Golding his groom, Buddy Brown with Idle Dice, Viscount and Garham Girl, with Ronnie Silcox doing Ike and GG, and Tommy Veile (he worked for the USET at the time) doing Viscount (who was on loan to the team), Dennis Murphy with Tuscaloosa, Do Right and Commodore, Sherry Martin with him, and Robert Ridland with Nazarius and Damn Yankee, Mikey Lynch his groom.

I only have a few pics from Gladstone, and they aren't terribly exciting, but here goes!

The first one is Hilda Gurney.

Laurie

[This message was edited by lauriep on Mar. 20, 2002 at 11:49 PM.]
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Well, I am finally ready to start this marathon! But first, a little background:

I had been working for Hilltop since FL. Conrad and Joe had finally told Frances that they would be leaving after Devon. Conrad and I had been in constant contact finalizing our arrangements for me to come to work for them. I worked for Hilltop at Devon, and Balbuco and Pueblo came into my care a day or two before the show ended, when Foxwood left. So, I had them in addition to my Hilltop string to care for. The last day, I helped Wendy pack up and leave and then I think I stayed one more night and was picked up the next morning by a commercial shipper to take us to Gladstone. It took me 30 minutes to get Buccy's shipping halter on - he was distrustful of people he didn't know and didn't like his shipping halter.

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a rather high "excitement" factor, so you can imagine that I was on sensory overload to be moving into Gladstone with two wonderful horses prior to going to Europe for three months!! I mean, can you understand??? We were at Gladstone for about a week, I think, and the horses didn't really do a whole lot, as we would have plenty of prep time in Germany before the first show.

The dressage team flew over with us on the same plane, and for you DQs out there, I have some pictures you will see of them doing their thing at Aachen. The dressage team that tour was Hilda Gurney and Keen, Gwen Stockebrand and Bao, Lendon Gray and Beppo and Edith Masters and ? can't remember her horse, but it was the one she had had for a good while. Lendon was stabled right across from me in the lower level of the barn, much preferred as it is very quiet down there, not as much activity.

The SJ team consisted of Conrad with my two, Michael Matz with Jet Run, Sandor and Grande, Karen Golding his groom, Buddy Brown with Idle Dice, Viscount and Garham Girl, with Ronnie Silcox doing Ike and GG, and Tommy Veile (he worked for the USET at the time) doing Viscount (who was on loan to the team), Dennis Murphy with Tuscaloosa, Do Right and Commodore, Sherry Martin with him, and Robert Ridland with Nazarius and Damn Yankee, Mikey Lynch his groom.

I only have a few pics from Gladstone, and they aren't terribly exciting, but here goes!

The first one is Hilda Gurney.

Laurie

[This message was edited by lauriep on Mar. 20, 2002 at 11:49 PM.]
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.

are of the team van being loaded. It carried some of the horse stuff and ALL of the human luggage. It was packed to the gills!

This is Dennis Murphy, pausing to assess the situation. Dennis ALWAYS helped with the loading and unloading, for which we were very thankful!

Laurie
    Laurie

is Tommy Veile in front of the team van, Ted and Dennis inside. It took the better part of a day to load the thing!

Laurie
    Laurie

looking out of one of the Hennessy vans on the way to Kennedy to fly out.

Laurie
    Laurie

also in one of the vans going to the airport.

He looks like it may be his last hurrah!

Laurie
    Laurie

we couldn't get into the hangar where we were supposed to load for quite awhile, so we sat outside the gates with the trucks. All of the riders showed up at this point and hung around until we got cleared to go in.

This whole airport thing took over 7 hours; once we had the horses loaded, no small feat, we sat on the runway for three hours waiting for clearance and technical difficulties. It was SOOO annoying. And then an 8 hour flight. Can you say total exhaustion?

This is George Hennessy in his favorite spot!

Laurie
    Laurie

Pete, who drove for George, and Buddy and Amy Brown off to the side.

Laurie
    Laurie

Dusseldorf, Germany, and unloaded right out on the runway. We barely had enough handlers for all the horses, but the riders who were there jumped in to help.

All the horses fly with shipping halters, head bumpers if desired (most didn't), two cotton lead ropes to use as Xties if needed, or for any other use, a leather lead with chain and a team sheet. They really flew well. The next series is of the scene at Dusseldorf.

This is Buddy, an unidentified crew member, and Robert on the people ramp, just to the left of the lift for the pallets.

Laurie
    Laurie

Bert and Ted Grant in front of one of the lorries that would take us to Langenfeld, our home base.

Laurie
    Laurie

Grande and Michael.

Laurie
    Laurie

Tuscaloosa, a crew member, and Buddy following.

Laurie
    Laurie

Allen Leslie, who flew with us, Ted Grant and Buddy. Don't remember who the guy in the shades is.

Laurie
    Laurie

and Ted.

Laurie
    Laurie

and Sandor.

Laurie
    Laurie

Mr. Run (as in Jet Run) with Karen.

Laurie
    Laurie

of Jet.

Laurie
    Laurie

another one of Sandor, who is extremely interested in our pilot!

Next time, shots from our home base in Langenfeld, where we had a week or so to prepare for the first show, and also came back here between shows as long as we were in Germany. Tha is when the fun began!

Laurie
    Laurie

Thank you. I've missed your nightly picture shows!

Those are great!
    The last pic is fantabulous!

Always,
    FairWeather
    "Just call me mint jelly cuz i'm on the lamb!--Grandpa
    http://www.fairweather-farm.com