The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default HELP, Easter bunny wrecking arena!!!!!!

Some sneaky, underhanded, evil critter has been digging holes in the sides of my brand new indoor riding arena. Right through the limestone screenings!

At first I thought it was a coon or a weasel. Left a live trap baited with apples but didn't catch anything. Then this morning the wonderful young lady who does my stalls tells me to go look through the viewing room window at the black bunny rabbit in the arena.

Her boyfriend goes outside and round to the back of the arena and comes in via the man door. I open the roll up door to the arena. We chase the arena wrecking rodent. But it do you think it would have the courtesy of going into the barn where we can catch it? Noooo.... It goes into the corner where there are a bunch of jump standards and disappears down another hole! Stupid Rabbit. Agghhh...

I think it came from the cattle farmers across the road. Their kids had 3 two years ago for 4h. Their rabbits began to bred like...well. like rabbits and soon they had more and more and more. Even tried to give some away to my daughter but we didn't have a place for them (and no, the arena was NEVER a consideration). Some of them did get loose. Some they caught, some they didn't.

So, how the Bugs Bunny DO I GET RID OF IT? HELP!!!!!!!!!

I raised rabbits for a year, they are digging machines and sneaky, slippery buggers to catch.

You have two options for catching it. I used a fishing net on a long pole, and if you are lucky you can net it before the little rat b@astard heads for the hole.

If your county rents out live traps, get one and bait it with small pieces of carrots and grains, then cross your fingers.

Don't yell at me, but your other option is shooting the dang thing. I have to warn you though they do scream like new-born babies quite often when they die. This is the reason I no longer raise rabbits. You couldn't pay me enough to raise and butcher them, there isn't enough beer in the store to get that sound out of my head.

Good luck.
    Last edited by deckchick; Apr. 27, 2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: fishing net dang it... just the thought of those stoopid bunnies have me all twitchy...

Tell the farmer to come get his bunny!

(or bait it with alfalfa and net the bugger!)

One of my adult students told me she tucked dog hair around her garden. Her next door neighbor had to replant her garden 3x due to rabbit damage. My client with the dog hair garden had no rabbits come visit. Anyone else hear of this working?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlite View Post
    One of my adult students told me she tucked dog hair around her garden. Her next door neighbor had to replant her garden 3x due to rabbit damage. My client with the dog hair garden had no rabbits come visit. Anyone else hear of this working?
    I've heard people using people hair (they get it from hair salons) and it supposedly works well.

OP, I'm sorry I have no ideas for you, but I wish you the best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ljcfoh View Post
    I've heard people using people hair (they get it from hair salons) and it supposedly works well.
    I'm very interested as to why hair (mixed in the soil or on top?) would keep a rabbit away. Can anyone tell me why this does or does not work or where this idea came from?

Quote Originally Posted by *Liz* View Post
    I'm very interested as to why hair (mixed in the soil or on top?) would keep a rabbit away. Can anyone tell me why this does or does not work or where this idea came from?
    Very timely question as my hairdresser (who works out of her home) and I were talking about this just this week. She said that a client told her to throw hair clippings into her backyard to keep the deer out--they are afraid of the scent. I guess that explains why dog hair would keep rabbits out of a garden--they clearly don't seem to be afraid of people!
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

They object to hair and urine scent from humans cause we is carnivores and we smell like death to them. Feed your husband a nice fat steak and lots o beer...then have him go mark your arena all around the outside.
    Not kidding...
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    They object to hair and urine scent from humans cause we is carnivores and we smell like death to them. Feed your husband a nice fat steak and lots o beer...then have him go mark your arena all around the outside.
    Not kidding...
    If there ever was best post of the day, this would be it!
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

Have a live trap baited with a head of lettuce. Bunny is having none of it. Filled the holes in with rocks and sand. Going to try the dog/cat hair around the perimeter. Suggested the steak, beer and peeing around the arena thing but hubby looked at me sorta strange. Maybe my teenage son would be more receptive? LOL keep your fingers crossed.

"Peter" is a huge hassle. I know first and foremost.

The only way I have found to reduce numbers is to have the dog take care of things. I had one dog take out many baby rabbits. Also rabbits are very easy to shoot. When they are seen, they freeze. Line them up in the scope and squeeze the trigger. You can shoot many times and it will not move. You can catch them in light and they will not move. Shooting them works well. Sad. But true.

With the holes, the bigger the rocks the better. Cover over the area with rocks or bricks. You can also try moth balls, or bottled fox pee.

The cotton tail only has an average lifespan of 9 months, which is why there are "buns" in the oven at all times.

Somebody, fox or owl, will notice the activity, if you are lucky.

I love this site. Know thy enemy.

http://www.havahart.com/advice/critt...rabbit-control

I am the queen trapper around here, but haven't trapped a rabbit. I have trapped skunks, possum aka EPM makers, feral cat, and coon. My current project is more EPM makers, and a fox squirrel.