The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any nurse anesthetists out there?

Yes, horse-related.

I've lately been considering some other career/going back to school options... but of paramount importance to me is to have time to ride (but still be able to afford to have horses, as obviously unemployment could lend itself *very* well to having time to ride!)

Several people have thrown around the idea of being an RN as as a pretty good career for horse people. As I was thinking about this the other day, the idea of becoming a nurse anesthetist popped up.

So, nurse anesthetists, chime in! How does it work for you? Do you actually have time to ride, or do you fall into the category of "now that I can afford it, I don't have the time"?

Thanks!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Not sure about rn's but as a vet tech boarded in anesthesia (or internal medicine, critical care etc) you will make approx $30/hr. Typically our hours for a medicine and anesthesia tech are mon-fri 8am-6pm, makes it great for riding/showing. CC boarded techs often work on schedues like RNs (4 days on, 5 days off) However, its a long haul getting from regular tech to a boarded one.

An anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist works in the operating room. The day tipically starts at the hospital before the first shift (which is 7am) and you arrive 6 /6:30. to set up and see your patient before surgery, which is scheduled for 7:30 or so. You are there for the duration of the case which can end at 9 or 10 at night in some cases; other hospitals rotate personnel in by shifts; you could be out between 3 and 4:30. Most hospitals require you work roating shifts, so some days you would start later in the day and work until later, and almost every hospital requires you work every other weekend, but it depends on the hospital and their surgery schedule. Often Nurse anesthetists will work in ICUs or in surgery centers or in PACU, post surgery unit. Sometimes shifts can be 4 10 hour shifts a week, sometimes 3 12 hour shifts, but for anesthesiology often not the long shift.

It can be nice to have fewer days a week to work than 5, but rarely will you ever find a mon through fri schedule; usually mandatory shift rotation and weekends required. The morning shift means you either feed at 5 am or have someone else feed for you; the later shifts mean no evening or afternoon time.

It can be good, or not, depending on the kind of work you find and its hard to be available for weekend shows because of the weekend shift requirements.

I'm not an Nurse anesthetist, but work with them.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Many schools for nurse anesthesia will not admit anyone who does not have 3-8 years of experience as a RN in a critical care unit. So if you are not a RN now figure on 4-6 years of school to get a BSN work 3-8 years in critical care( if you are in an area where you can get a job like that right our of school) then enter the anesthesia program. The ones I looked into require full time school and NO working. Once out of school then you get involved with surgery schedules days.nights/weekends/ holidays. Great pay and great stress.

I am not a nurse anesthetist, but I work alongside them in the OR.

On my team, I must say the nurse anesthetists have it pretty darn cushy. They earn serious salaries up to or over six figures, they don't take much call (we have anesthesia fellows who pick up most of it), and they are relieved at the end of their shift.

I also have some nurse anesthetist friends at other hospitals in the area who own horses-- they certainly are able to afford their horses and have more time to spend with them than I do!

I've recently started considering that career track myself. As others have mentioned, there is quite a bit of school and experience required-- a BSN and at least a year or more of critical care work experience before you can even apply for most programs. Plus there's the fact that you have someone's life in your hands.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by crystalyoung1 View Post
    Many schools for nurse anesthesia will not admit anyone who does not have 3-8 years of experience as a RN in a critical care unit. So if you are not a RN now figure on 4-6 years of school to get a BSN work 3-8 years in critical care( if you are in an area where you can get a job like that right our of school) then enter the anesthesia program. The ones I looked into require full time school and NO working. Once out of school then you get involved with surgery schedules days.nights/weekends/ holidays. Great pay and great stress.
    This. The CRNAs I know around here have greatly varying schedules, but all of them worked atleast 2 years in critical care as an RN before they could even apply to CRNA school. All of the schools around here require the 2 years of experience in an ICU and are ~24 months of full time school.