The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

well I wasn't sadalter or anything, but I'm still doing the Celexa thing and it has made definite improvements on my mood in general. Due to an, umm, rocky, we'll call it, relationship with my parents and the general mounds of stress involved with doing college, the horses, and working to pay for them all at once I am seeing a shrink, and really like that.

The only downfall is that the drugs do make me excessively tired. I can sleep a full 8-10 hours at night and have an impressive 3 or 4 hour nap, without it affecting my nighttime sleep. I have trouble staying up for a 16 hour day. Sure there are those "other" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] side effects, but really, in the grand scheme, thats ok.

I wish the best of luck to anyone else out there getting treatments or looking into it. While drugs aren't always the answer I am currently pre-pharmacy, so feel free to pop them anyway [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (JUST KIDDING.)

Laura
    Laura

and back off the lesson presure for a while.
    more hay, less grain

i am sorry that you have to deal at all with the issue of depression. i myself have never had to deal with it, but i used to get really sad a lot and feel very lonely. i always thought that i never had any friends and that no one liked me or wanted to be around me because i was so shy. it's hard to deal with that sort of stuff in high school (i'll be a junior this year) but the one thing that got me through was being with my horse. just knowing that he was my friend made me realize that i didn't need anything else to be happy...just him. so i think that as long as you have love and faith in your horse(s), you'll be just fine. and good luck!

I haven't read all of the posts yet, but this is a subject that hits close to home. When I was 16 (I'm 18 now so it wasn't THAT long ago but feels like it) I suffered from depression. I couldn't get out of bed, I couldn't get up in the mornings, I never felt like eating, I didn't find any enjoyment in anything that I normally would have been very passionate about, but I refused to believe that I was having mind problems. After many, many doctor visits and having my blood checked numerous times it was the only path left to follow. I was put on the medications (zoloft etc) and I found they made me worse. Having to take that pill every day made me feel like a failure and I no matter how much I ate with it I always seemed to get heartburn. I too lost interest in riding and felt discouraged. My coach was very understanding and never forced me to ride, instead I just spent lots of time brushing and bonding with my horse. Although at the time it didn't seem like it, I now believe that it was one of the greatest learning experiences of my life and I truely believe it made me a better person. Having that time to just sit back and take a look at everything helped me to understand what I needed to change to make myself happier and a better person. Now I just need to give myself a reality check every once in a while to get my mind out of the gutter and I'm A okay! Just because you have no motivation to ride does not mean that you have lost interest in horses. Maybe time away from the riding part and enjoying just being with your horse will help your soul. It's tough, but you're strong and you will overcome this [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    I don't know why but eating vegetables helped me a lot... especially broccoli. I don't know why, it just did.

I have delt with depression my entire life. I had a father who was in and out of my life untill he left it entirly when I was 18. He blamed it on me. Deadbeat dad. My brother was physicaly abusive, and all of the men in my life have only gone out with me for one thing, which i didn't give. Not to mention how poorly i did in school, having no direction in life, and councilors telling me i had no future. I used to have thoughts of suicide, and i would hurt myself. There is much more than that, but I am know 26 and single, lonely, no carrer, and little friends. Since I had to put my horse down last year, and losing two jobs in 6 month, I have become severly depressed. I don't go out anymore, I still go to work, but I only work half days, and I come home and sleep. I have developed an anxiety disorder and a borderline social disorder. My doctor has put me on celexa, and I am also in therapy. I have been on meds now for 4 weeks and they are just kicking in. I find it hard to wake up in the morning, but I am sleeping through the night now. I do have more energy when I get up though. People tell me I am not so quick to anger, and I don't seem to be snapping at people as much. I am going out a bit more with less anxiety. I have lost about 15lb, which is probably part depression and part meds. I know that this is going to be a slow process. But now I can see that there may be a light at the end of the tunnel. With meds and talking to a therapist, i hope I can get well. I have been told by my doctor that I will most likely be on meds for the rest of my life. So coming from someone who knows what it is like to be depressed, keep your chin up, and try your best. Good luck to you.

wow, and I thought I was the only one out there, so I've just kept quiet about it... Thanks everyone for sharing....

mizzwade
    mizzwade

Casserlily Guest

I'm sitting here, online in the middle of the night because I cannot sleep, and I think: I wonder if anyone on the COTH board has posted about this?

Of course you have.

With truth, honesty, and a lot of soul bearing. I read all of these, and it helps so much to know that there is a way out, and that you have found it. Now I just have to.

Thank you all for your honesty.

I saw an article yesterday about a new study on the differences in the way mens' and womens' brains work in feeling and processing emotions. It seems women in general really do feel things more strongly than men do, and remember strong emotions and emotional enocounters more clearly than men do.

Relevant to this topic, they are studying whether the differences in how men and women process emotions may explain why women are more prone to depression than are men, since the chemisty of depression can be triggered by dwelling on emotional situations and being slow to process them and let go.

Here's a link to the article:
    New Study Says Female Brain is Wired for Emotion

Coming from a family history of depression and myself having been diagnosed with chronic clinical depression 10 years or so ago, all I can say is, thank God I live in the era of medical science that found the chemical source of depression and developed Prozac. I take it every day and it doesn't do a thing for me, except make me feel normal. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"I'm designed for sitting. That's why my butt is covered in soft fur." Dogbert
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

so for all the bipolarites "this too will pass"
    more hay, less grain

PROZAC is the answer. It's great. No side effects - just makes you feel "normal".

Well...maybe I should be taking more????

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I was having such bad anxiety attacks I honestly thought I was having a heart attack.
    So turning 50 was not as much fun as I had thought it would be [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

I went to my Dr and he put me on Zoloft, and it started working within hours.
    I went through a Cancer scare with my mother, mins after taking the first tablet, emergency surgery on her, several days of her being in a coma....almost losing my little p/t job, my trainer quitting and raising our board and training.
    And I did it all with a smile and no tears, (except the first day with my mother at the hospital).

My friends and family are amazed at my ho hum logical behaviour.
    I love this stuff.
    They should sell it in Tack shops!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thank you to all of you who after reading your stories gave me the mental push to do something and be happy again [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

The only side effect I still notice is tremors in my hands. This is only a problem when I spill my martini though! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The Panchen Lama of DQs! (Second only to Velvet, the undisputed Dalai Lama of DQs.)

And, I have lost 11 pounds so far!!!
    Woohoo!!

Oregon, sitting on my couch looking out the window at a mountain

Bumpkin!!

What is going on? How is your mother? What happened at your job? Your trainer left?

* I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. *
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

My wonderful mother who is 82 and has had cancer more than once. Went in with a blocked intestine. They thought cancer, but it turned out to be a twisted intestine. Just like a horse. She was very ill and it was a big surgery. Because of her age the anethesia hit her really hard and she was in a coma for several days. It took a few weeks until she really has come around to beig mentally back to normal. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

My job at the same time wanted me to work more hours or loose my job. (so far that is all ok)

My trainer, Farpoint Farm, who I adored, has decided to quit training and spend more time training her family and her own ponies.
    She owns the stable and the new house on the property where she lives.
    So she raised the board/training fees, and took away the turnout unless you pay extra. Per the new trainers coming in with their own client, Phoenix Farm, and what they charge for board and training I guess.

I am not mad, a bit sad to loose my friends and a trainer that Elliot and I really liked.

Perhaps now a days people just have to imagine that they will change stables every year or two.

So I am saying the Zoloft has made this all so much easier for me to deal with.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oregon, sitting on my couch looking out the window at a mountain

Oh Bumpkin!

I'm glad your mother is recovering - that is the most important thing.

Big bummer about your trainer...especially raising the board! Guess she has to supplement her income somehow since she's not a trainer anymore, eh? Do you like the new trainer? Will you start working with them?

* I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. *
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran