The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>not to mention the lowering of physical standards in certain professions to allow the formerly unqualified to now qualify<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh... this IS becoming a nasty reality in some areas of Eventing. Can't make things too hard or people can't compete. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Gimme a break!

If Dressage is a Symphony... Eventing is Rock & Roll!!!

"All's well that ends with cute E.R. doctors, I always say." -- Buffy
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I have to agree that some of the questions bear asking.

I have heard recently that dodge ball was banned in a nearby school district because it could create issues of inferiority in children who were not as athletic as the others.

I think that this attitude has spread and that we risk our children having to suffer major shell shock when they findout that they are not as good as others at SOME things. They will not realize that they need to find what they are BETTER at or work that much harder. This, however, does not apply to children who are too young to understand that "practice makes perfect".

I would be disgusted if a hired an employee in a few years who was mentally destroyed because someone else got a promotion or who couldn't understand that you have to work hard to reach the level where you are my equal in work related situations. A person who can't understand that I will not "dumb down" the work to their level will make me sad, but I will hire someone who can do it or will work harder until they can do it and say "adios" to the whiner.
    www.sandbarequinetransport.com

Proud member of the ILMD[FN]HP and Bull Snap Haters Cliques

The question could have been asked without being so inflammatory....specifically the first paragragh.

Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin' it back- A Cowboy's Guide to Life
    The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

What was so inflammatory?

If single, white women around my age were going around crashing planes into buildings, I don't believe I would mind them taking a closer look at me--as long as they were looking more closely at all women who matched the discription and it was actually making me more safe.

It's all about ME, ME, ME!!! (The only signature worthy of a real DQ.)
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

When's the last time you were stip searched?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I just think comparing racial profiling to leadliners getting ribbons is plain ridiculous.....sorry, my bad. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin' it back- A Cowboy's Guide to Life

They don't strip search people when they do the profiling, that would be a very extreme set of circumstances that would cause that.

I see what you mean on the comparison, but I think they were trying to state that political correctness can go too far, and putting it in the ring would cause problems not anticipated.

If you get rid of things LIKE profiling, that is not PC, what are you left with? Same thing in the ring. If you took away judging, what would you be left with? If you gave everyone a ribbon for participating, what would happen?

My take on it is that they were asking about the broad application and how detrimental it could be to the sport (as it has been in other areas of society).

"Relinquish your whip!!"

OK, lady in airport is stopped, questioned, strip searched (including the ol' cavity dealie) and determined to be innocent and is sent on her merry way. What caused them to stop her? She was black, i.e. possible drug runner. That is racial profiling.

I am not saying a discussion regarding horse sports and their "dumbing down" is not a valid discussion. But I find comparing "keeping kids happy" to real rights being infringed upon to be very offensive.

I think it would nice for there to be something for everyone. I belong to the OPRC for lots of laughs, fun and no pressure...a "ribbon for everyone" mentality. I'd still like the option to go to a USCTA event for "real" competition. So that's exactly what I have. I'm happy!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The lady stripped-searched in the airport was probably NOT chosen because she was black. What makes you say that?

A local grandmother, who is white, was strip-searched at a major airport near me last month. At the same airport, my blonde, blue-eyed friend was also strip-searched.

We can only hope that PC drowns from its own hyper-sensitivity. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

NO NO NO BGoosewood! If it was racial profiling at the airport she would have had to have been a Saudi! If she was Black, it would have been the same as picking an old white woman...neither flew into any buildings. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Mis Perfect...great minds think alike [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

nope, the world isn't going to perfect all the time. also, "for every winner there is a loser" that's life. i don't think that horseback riding in anyway should be dummed-down (though i think it's already happening to eventing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ) i think it's okay if little kids all get blue ribbons, because they're not old enough to be competitive. at one show, they gave all the leadline kids blue ribbons, and one girl started crying because she wanted a pink ribbon [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] i'm going to leave it at that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

My barn has a website!!! Check out Amber Hill Farm's Website Amber Hill Farm

OK, then can I sign up to strip search Andre Agassi?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I'll pass on the cavity search though.

It's a choice. WE have a choice. We can pay someone to make us safe and bite our tongues when it comes to profiling and allowing those people to infringe our right to freedom. Or, we can remain open and free, and deal with the risks that opens us up to. I think that is beyond political correctness. The world of the PC lovers is those who think we should all sit around ignoring differences in people and force a level playing field no matter what the cost to individuality.

The two things are not the same.

So, I agree on that point. Which one should be talk about now? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"Relinquish your whip!!"

Hear, hear, Velvet....I thought you were supposed to be a pot stirrer...me thinks not! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I just need the right pot--then I'm all for stirring! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"Relinquish your whip!!"

timedjumpoff is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Interesting replies, though it was never my intention to be "inflammatory". I do, however
    question the replies which seem to think PCness has nothing to do with/will never affect the horse world. That's one of the reasons my original post
    posed a number of questions (from the possible to the absurd) for consideration.

TLE---I hadn't even thought of the eventing issues
    but you're absolutely right. Though not an eventer myself, I have read the recent articles
    on the lowering of standards and am on the fence (no pun intended) about how I feel about it. On the one hand, I favor not putting the horses at great risk by making some of the obstacles a bit more "break-downable" but I also agree with the viewpoint that people/horses who are not ready/experienced enough to do a certain division should not be entering that division in the first place. However, I do feel that rather than making everything easier so more can qualify, I do think there should be some kind of rigid qualification system at each level, if feasible, that will determine whether a horse/rider combination be allowed to move up. And while this topic may not be thought of exactly as a PC issue, it certainly
    falls within the parameters of many sports
    and job-related arguments and discussions are headed these days.

Hobson---thank you for bringing that old "60's bleeding heart liberal rhetoric to the forefront once again. We always need someone to remind us of old ideas that once served a purpose...yet have become increasingly detrimental to those groups for whom they were designed to help. Just ask the many minority students who gained admission to colleges on their own merit, yet are still looked upon as "there because of quotas" where affirmative action still exists. Time to relieve yourself of "60's guilt. Our sport is not restricted by race or religion, or ethnic origin. Money yes, though certainly not big concern to the one particular ethnic group you mentioned. And in case you haven't heard, middle class working family income is pretty much the same now across racial lines, in most parts of this country. But I'm sure we'd all love to hear a story about some potential grand prix rider who would still be in the ghetto if not for the generousity of some bleeding hearts like you!

Heineken---No, there won't be masses storming the gates at Devon, but don't be surprised to see hobson and his little group of protestors picketing in front of it!

Emma MHC-----I agree with you that the efforts of PETA shouldn't be called PC...that's not to say they aren't rying to convince people that they are. As for "jump safety, you're right, for now that is, but please refer to the "tle" post here, I think that makes a valid argument that the potential for a PC element to stir the pot on the issue, exists right now.

Jennasis----Yes, the one place that possibly could stand a little PC thinking might be the hunters-- probably the most prejudiced area of the sport. But, hey, no one forces anyone to compete there, so I guess no one should complain if different types of horses aren't judged equally.

RodeoGirl----You echo my thoughts well except for the polo shirt issue At WEF. I don't think it was so much an attempt to de-elite the sport but rather a matter of practicality and comfort for the riders. I know i'm in the minority on this issue, but I think a revamping of show clothing is in order for all aspects of our sport. Tradition aside, why should riders wear a wool jacket, shirt and tie in 90 degree heat or freeze their butts off in the dead of winter? But let's save that for another topic.
    "WHINNYING" IS EVERYTHING!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sandbarhorse:

I have heard recently that dodge ball was banned in a nearby school district because it could create issues of inferiority in children who were not as athletic as the others.

.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have mixed feelings about this one. I totally agree that children need to learn early that there is a word "no" or "not you" and that they don't always win. BUT, dodgeball....YIKES...what a massacre that was. I remember clearly!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I was probably at the middle of the pack regarding athleticism and it never really bothered me, but some of the kids were truly demoralized by this game. The thing is that the HAD to play...no excuses. These poor kids were not out there signing up for little league and expecting to be able to play. They were forced to play.

OK kiddies...that's what we call a discussion. As opposed to nasty name calling.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

From the horsey perspective, I think the thread on national awards at the three foot division is a bit PC, i.e, 'I can't do it at the A rated level, so I want a national award at my level.' Here's a newsflash- Life Is Not Fair!

As far as PC in the 'real' world- perhaps you all can give me some imput on the following situation.

I recently attended a Major Sporting Event. As is to be expected, the line at the womens bathroom was long. Once I reached the head of the line, I sat gratefully and was disturbed mid-pee by banging on my door. I said, "just a minute', finished and exited, where I was roundly berated by a woman in a wheelchair for using the handicapped stall. Now, this woman was not behind me or within ten people behind me so she placed herself at the front of the line and expected to find a perfectly good stall empty. I told her the stall was not solely for the use of handicapped (I will leave out the part about my using the word 'handicapped') and that she needed to wait her turn, just like everyone else.

To say she disagreed was putting it mildly. She heaved herself out of the chair and entered the stall, pulling it behind her. There were some general comments from the others in line, both of the 'she's got enough problems without waiting in line' and 'I wasn't going to say anything, but I'm glad you did' sort.

My feeling on this?
    1)Anyone who has ever had a bladder infection understands the immediate need for a bathroom, but that person doesn't get special access.

2)Just about everyone has problems in their lives. Some just show more than others.

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Wow Midge, I have always wondered if that would ever happen to me!!!

I always thought handicapped people had to wait just like everyone else. Of course that's just MHO.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

The 'dumbing' down of eventing mentioned by others reminds me of the dumbing down of the Grands Prix in many situations. You can read a course designer who says, 'I wanted the course to be technical for the experienced horses but not kill the green horses or the amateurs.' Well excuse me! It is a 50,000 class! Perhaps the greenies and the amatuers would be better served getting their Grand Prix feet wet in a smaller class!

I don't think this is a case of PC though, I think it is a case of money. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.