The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Foundgreenergrass View Post
    I believe her prices for lessons and training rides especially are a little over priced. $900.00 for board is on the average to high end for this area so that in itself does not really suprise me...but 60 dollars for training rides and 50 for semi private lessons? jeez I could almost be riding with Connie Stevens or definately Diane Carney for those prices.
    She must think highly of herself
    I'm uncertain of Diane's or Connie's pricing, but I'm fairly certain from my own experiences that $900 a month probably wouldn't cut it at any high-end barn in the Chicago suburbs.

$60 for an in-house training ride may be a little steep for a primarily B/NIHJA barn, but $900 for board is fair enough if it's not the baseline before turnout, extra feedings, supplements, etc etc. I know a lot of places may start their board at $500 or whatever a month, but then once you go through all of the unbundling and tack on the fees for this and that, you're really looking at $900+ a month. The majority of the A show barns in the area are much, much more, and (thank god) just charge a flat rate for everything, no hidden fees. It's much nicer getting a simple bill each month that you can predict.

This is COTH.

If, after three pages, no one digs up any dirt on her, and no house guests show up, then everything's probably just fine.
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

Quote Originally Posted by Anselcat View Post
    This is COTH.

If, after three pages, no one digs up any dirt on her, and no house guests show up, then everything's probably just fine.
    True, but this is only page 2........
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

I do not know this "barn" or trainer personally, but the facility she is working out of stays in business by leasing out blocks of stalls to trainers. Her board price wouldn't be set by her, it's set by the farm. It's considered one of the higher end barns in the area, and is situated in a high-middle class area. I'm sure the taxes alone on the place are atrocious.

Here is the website of another business in that barn, which gives a bit more detail:
    www.foresthillfarmllc.com

I do not know if this trainer would be seeking any guidance or working with those other trainers at all.

Quote Originally Posted by myleetlepony View Post
    I do not know this "barn" or trainer personally, but the facility she is working out of stays in business by leasing out blocks of stalls to trainers. Her board price wouldn't be set by her, it's set by the farm. It's considered one of the higher end barns in the area, and is situated in a high-middle class area. I'm sure the taxes alone on the place are atrocious.

Here is the website of another business in that barn, which gives a bit more detail:
    www.foresthillfarmllc.com

I do not know if this trainer would be seeking any guidance or working with those other trainers at all.
    Oh! Is the trainer in question working out of Old McHenry Farm? I didn't realize that for some reason. I actually rode with Forest Hill Farm (the one you linked) when I lived in Chicago. That is a NICE facility and $900 for that barn is actually lower than I would have expected.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    I guess my point is that being a "small time" or younger trainer doesn't necessarily mean that the program is bad or that no one should sell a horse to this trainer or one of her customers. Even if some of you think her prices are too high. I've observed much worse treatment of horses in big A show barns than I have observed in some of the smaller scale operations. Much, much worse. And, yes, I have boarded at both types of places.

Couldn't agree more

No worries about your horses future home, I ship for Meaghan. She boards at a nice farm, her horses are always cared for, well dressed & looking the part.

Thank you for the replies everyone! The horses is officially sold as far as I know now. I did find out her new last name is Kierans though

I worked the last 2 weekends at Lamplight doing the NIHJA shows & met Meaghan. I found her very pleasant, her horses looked taken care of & clients happy. Riders seemed to be able to ride, horses were winning, she was very organized. She worked for Freddie & Jodie for a few years before stepping out on her own (I asked her) so her A show mileage comes from working at their barn. I know she did the A show this past weekend as well as the NIHJA at Lamplight (they hosted both shows) so I assume she'll be doing a little of both circuits depending what her clients want.

As for pricing...for lessons & training rides--I see people who have NO show experience, no training & can barely hop an X charging $50 for a up-down lesson on a schoolie so anything goes. It's all what people are willing to pay until the rose colored glasses come off.
    Last edited by Giddy-up; Apr. 30, 2012 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    GM would hate her equitation...
    GM hates most equitation.

Goodness, if some of you ever put up a website as a new trainer trying to move up ? Hope you have a better experience then a COTH bashing over something not asked for. GM hates most peoples Eq, especially adults not in an Eq class. So what? Horse looks good.

Place looks nice enough, prices are actually average to below for similar services in upscale areas near any big city and the horses look nice, happy and very well cared for.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Giddy-up View Post
    As for pricing...for lessons & training rides--I see people who have NO show experience, no training & can barely hop an X charging $50 for a up-down lesson on a schoolie so anything goes. It's all what people are willing to pay until the rose colored glasses come off.
    Pricing for lessons is rarely, in my experience, based solely on the trainer's experience. The quality of the program, facility, school horses etc. all play into the price of a lesson.

I also don't think that lack of show experience=bad instruction, unless you are specifically looking for an A circuit trainer. I have ridden in 3 rated shows in my life, but have worked in A barns and groomed at A shows for years. I taught beginner-intermediate lessons for 15 years and I charge $55 for an hour-long private lesson.....but I teach out of an upscale facility on some nicer-than-average school horses. And I am not, by any means, putting myself out there as an A trainer.
    friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyTB View Post
    Pricing for lessons is rarely, in my experience, based solely on the trainer's experience. The quality of the program, facility, school horses etc. all play into the price of a lesson.

I also don't think that lack of show experience=bad instruction, unless you are specifically looking for an A circuit trainer. I have ridden in 3 rated shows in my life, but have worked in A barns and groomed at A shows for years. I taught beginner-intermediate lessons for 15 years and I charge $55 for an hour-long private lesson.....but I teach out of an upscale facility on some nicer-than-average school horses. And I am not, by any means, putting myself out there as an A trainer.
    Sorry. I should have perhaps used the word "education" instead? Somebody who reads GM's book & takes only a few lessons themselves before turning pro shouldn't be charging the same amount as some of the trainers mentioned in this thread. That is what I meant.

I've checked out this barn (Old McHenry Farm) -- when we visited last fall, Involo wasn't there. It seems to be a nice place. The stalls are huge. The indoor is on the small side, and there are issues with the different trainers having conflicts over arena use... They've had some turnover since then -- Paramount Grove was there then, but has since moved to Mundelein which must have made room for Involo. I haven't heard of Involo before; we only show in A's. As far as Connie goes: I like Connie. My daughter rode with her for several months and she continues to help and mentor us. Pricewise, we were paying approx $2000 month when she was in Mettawa/Barrington, IL. She has since moved to Oconomowoc where full-service board, with training, is $1600/month. Our new barn in Zion is also $2000 month. Personally, I'd love to find a quality A barn in Northern IL for $900 !!! That would be a bargain... in my experience, A show barns in this area are pricey. And to 2dogsfarm, who was paying $300 in Schaumburg -- things have changed, a lot! I paid $500 a month to keep my trail horse in a Barrington backyard (stall, but no indoor arena)! You might find $300 board in the far western suburbs or southwestern suburbs (i.e. Tinley Park) but not in the north/northwest suburbs. (Unfortunately for me!) As other posters have said, this barn (Involo at Old McHenry Farm) is in an upscale area and has nice facilities. Price seems reasonable to me!
    Last edited by MamaLiz; May. 5, 2012 at 08:43 AM.

The indoor is on the small side
    I wouldn't be calling that small...true there are some barns in the Mettawa area that are larger and newer, but that arena is large for the area. Nicely maintained and lighted, too.

And there aren't many barns that don't have multiple-trainer schedule conflicts...some barns just keep it a secret better than others.

Now, what really threw me was driving by the farm yesterday and seeing one lone pasture close to 22 surrounded by heavy equipment and major earth moving going on.