The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default H/A- best way to give it

So I've decided to put our horses on liquid H/A during the competition season, and if all goes well throughout the year.
    Horses are currently on 2 Smartpak supplements and one of the horses is on some additional Rice Bran since he's a bit of a hard keeper. Honestly, not a whole lot of stuff.
    In doing my reading, I believe the HA is best if given orally via a syringe so that it can be absorbed through the saliva instead of as a top dressing absorbed through the gut. I want to get the HA into the horses so it's processed the way it's meant to so I started the loading dose this week on our own and it's going well. But I can't be at the barn everyday to give it....I'd ask the BO however rumor has it they are already hoping I reduce the things that have to be given as it is, so I have not asked them to give the HA. So is it a problem if they miss doses? Is this something that is built up into their systems so missing a day or two won't be an issue? If I know I'm going to miss a day do I double a dose? Can it be put on as a top dressing with the same results? Any knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks so much
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

I would use Legend. IV.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I would use Legend. IV.
    Vet didn't recommend it and there is a large price difference. Trying to go low end first.

Your vet recommended a feed through HA instead of Legend? Really? Wow. Total opposite of every vet I've ever worked with!

What's your cost for the feed throughs? I think I give Legend for about $60/month.

Flex Force HA has been talked about quite a bit on here. It is fairly low cost and people say it works well.

I use it for my gelding, but it is so darn hard to decide if it is "working" for him or not. He has been moving well since I started him on it, but he was moving well before...

I mainly use it as a preventative.

Its available from valleyvet in liquid and powder (or pellet?) form.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Your vet recommended a feed through HA instead of Legend? Really? Wow. Total opposite of every vet I've ever worked with!

What's your cost for the feed throughs? I think I give Legend for about $60/month.
    I find it hard to believe as well. That being said the cheapest I can find Legend is from FarmVet for about $67/dose if you buy the big bottle. Tack a farm call on top of that if you can't give the shot yourself and it gets more cost prohibitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Don't worry about missing a dose for 1-2 days. It takes several days for the difference to be seen, so if you miss a few days, not really a problem. Just start dosing again with the regular amount.

When you dose (with the liquid HA) via syringe, just dose small amounts on the tongue and let the horse lick it between every tiny dose so that the HA absorbs through the mouth tissues and none goes into the stomach (where it does zero good).

I second using the Flex Free HA - my guys LOVE it, and they've been known to grab the end of the syringe to try and suck it out faster if they feel I'm not dosing them fast enough.

Great stuff, and I really can see a big difference in stride and flexibility for both foxhunting and endurance riding. Works for humans as well - rubbed into the skin, not taken orally.

Not sure which product you're using, but I use Conquer gel & occasionally miss a day - i.e. 6 days a week instead of every day.

I don't think it makes a difference unless you're missing several days in a row perhaps.

If you're using for support during show season & not for a moderate (i.e horse is consistently off without it) problem, I can see why Vet would recommend that over a IV injection product. It's less invasive, easier to give, probably less $ as well. And I say that as a huge fan of Legend. But, if I have a choice of Legend once a month or dosing min of 100mg HA orally through Conquer, I'm going with the later.

I guess I should say when I mentioned to Vet that I was thinking about starting the horses on this there was no suggestion of Legends.
    I've started them on Flex-Force HA since many folks said it works and I bought a gallon for $54 giving me a 256 day supply. Seemed like a good place to start.

The horses love this stuff so its certainly not difficult to give!