The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy The runs

So the horse I ride generally has fairly loose manure, but it seems like lately it's been getting worse and worse. Last night when I was grooming him, it looked like he was actually in a little pain. Imagine having the runs for several weeks straight. We've got him on bio-sponge daily and we've just swapped his hay back to 80% grass-20%alfalfa from 50-50. I also started him on BOSS a month or so ago for coat shine, but he didn't show any sensitivity to that for the first few weeks. Besides that, nothing else has changed. Any ideas in case the hay change doesn't help? Can BOSS cause this?

It's way better for him to have loose manure than none at all, but I still feel bad for the guy and his mudbutt

My new rescue mare had PROJECTILE runs when we got her. She was on BioSponge, and we were all prepared with a new tub of the stuff upon her arrival. Once we chaged her diet to grass hay, she's had normal BMs ever since! I don't know anything about the BOSS stuff.

If I may make a suggestion, try Equishure by KER and you may well be amazed.
    I know I was when Bio-Sponge didn't work.
    You can get the small 20 day tub, you should see results in just a few days actually.

@farmgirl, hopefully the switch back to 80% grass hay will do the trick. But if it doesn't, @Lieslot, I'll suggest Equishure to his owner/my trainer.

Could this be stress/anxiety related?
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

I think if you can find it, I'd switch to 100% grass hay. Also, if it's that bad, I might have a vet out to do a once-over. Might have an infection or something going on that's upsetting the GI tract.

Otherwise, if the horse is generally healthy but just has this one problem, I'd reduce/eliminate all grain in the diet, and anything high in sugar (it can irritate the hindgut). Add a probiotic/prebiotic, and definitely try the Equishure. Standlee Hay Company makes pure timothy hay pellets, they might be worth a try. My local Tractor Supply sells them.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Also forgot to mention, take a second look at the horse's worming program, make sure it is sufficient.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Friend's horse -- 2 YEARS with on and off again liquid diarrhea -- can't even begin to list what she tried. Contacted numerous nutritionists, vets, did the deworming route, biosponge, different grain, probitoics etc. etc. She then broke down and too her off all processed, feeds 'salads' every day (once a day) with free choice 2nd cut hay and adds a cup of DE to her salads. That did the trick. On the 'off' days when there's very, very SLIGHT runs she'll add Bentonite Clay to the DE for a couple of days to clear it up.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

If everything with the vet/worming/checkup turns out ok, it may be nerves/stress/excitment. Max had a very nervous tummy. 100% grass hay and a probiotic helped him.
    "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

"Blue" grasses upset my mare. Ordinary hay she was fine, but anything that looked a bit blue, upset her. Found that out after I had a nice load of hay delivered ..

I think the Bentonite Clay has been the biggest help for me. Horse also as probiotics but I am a bit iffy about their effectiveness as given by themselves they did nothing until I added bentonite. A change to the grassist hay also helps but check the type as some that are sold are not good.

Thanks everyone. His owner is the head trainer, so he's definitely up on all his vaccinations/worming/etc. There's been no change to his activities or anythign to cause stress. When I went up last night after work, he seemed 1000% better, so I'm guessing the switch back to primarily grass is working. I'm just surprised that it helped so fast! I'll keep an eye on him this weekend when I'm up there, but it looks like he just can't tolerate even 50-50 alfalfa. He's definitely a "special" horse

Any suggestions for a nervous pooper? My OTTB has major nervous poops... Nothing has helped - trying a new homeopathic support now after probiotics stopped helping at all. Never heard of bio sponge...?