The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sezuan DNA tested to be by BlueHors Zack, not BlueHors Romanov...

St. Georg reports the celebrity from Herning was proven to be in fact a son of BlueHors Zack not as previously believed by BlueHors Romanov.
    Not sure if any of you up here were looking to breed to him but it might be relevant to them

Yeah, I saw this and I absolutely do not buy their claim of "mistake." They claim to have bred the mare to Romanov, she didn't take, so they bred her again with Zack and "forgot" to change the stallion report.

Um, yeah, right. But then you went and advertised the horse on your website as being by Romanov knowing you had bred the mare to Zack after she didn't take with Romanov!

Sounds very fishy to me.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I agree that the whole thing SOUNDS fishy. What I can't figure out is why lies would be told in this case. Both stallions stand at Blue Horse. Why on earth would a lie be paid for or told regarding one stallion at Blue Hors vs. another? Both stallions are making money for the same folks. I could clearly see if the lie was told about the parentage of a stallion from a different station. Just does not make any sense to me......and I'd love to hear someone weigh in with a viable theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    Yeah, I saw this and I absolutely do not buy their claim of "mistake." They claim to have bred the mare to Romanov, she didn't take, so they bred her again with Zack and "forgot" to change the stallion report.

Um, yeah, right. But then you went and advertised the horse on your website as being by Romanov knowing you had bred the mare to Zack after she didn't take with Romanov!

Sounds very fishy to me.
    Both names start with Bluehors. I can see how that would happen.... I think the key is more sticky notes!

I bet this has happened in the past, more than we realize.

I'd postulate that it is because Romanov is more marketable as a sire than Zack.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Who knows... Bottom line is parentage-mixups have always occured and will always occur so I guess all the DNA-testing many registries perform compulsory on each year's foal crop are justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    I'd postulate that it is because Romanov is more marketable as a sire than Zack.
    Yes - and it is not clear from the Eurodressage article if Helgstrand was at fault, or if the National Office for Horses was at fault.

"Unfortunately the breeding protocol with the insemination dates, which was officially sent to the National Office for Horses, listed the covering of Romanov and was never updated with the covering of of Zack."

So WHO didn't update the covering certificate - Helgstrand (who owned the mare at the time of breeding), or the National Office?

And then this:

"The Danish National Office for Horses always sends a receipt after the documents have been received at their office. This receipt was not properly checked in order to discover the error in time. "

So again, WHO didn't verify the receipt? I am guessing it was Helgstrand, who for some reason opted to believe the resulting foal was by Romanov even though he knew the mare had been bred to Zack after being checked NOT in foal to Romanov.

It's all very strange, but it could have been avoided if the Danish WB organization required DNA analysis to verify parentage on all foals BEFORE issuing registration papers!

But what a boost for Zack, though! I wonder how many more breedings he will now get?

And, as an aside, the stallion Zonik is by Zack out of a Romanov/Don Schufro mare!

Our Come Back II mare was breed to Zonik
    mid April (hoping for black dot this Monday)
    so this certainly caught our attention.

Actually I believe in doing a DNA test which is not
    too pricey as a protection for the foal. Sometimes
    a horse might be given a second chance in life
    if there was a DNA record on file . A birth certificate
    as it were is never a waste of time or money.

I think they made a mistake and are covering it up with a lie. It sounds slightly more professional to admit they did know when paper work is back tracked (think about it they do bred allot of horses) then to admit that they mixed up the semen.

Edited to add there was always a high chance this stallion was going to be DNA'd why would they as a very well known breeder market it as sire by one stallion when they "knew" it was by another. I doubt that they knowingly put themselves in this position as it makes them appear very untrustworthy and unprofessional.