The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What happened to Oh Star?

I remember, about 10 years ago Todd Minikus and Oh Star were almost unbeatable. He was even inspected and approved by the BWP - but he never presented x-rays, so his license was pulled. Rumors started that he had some soundness issues, then he just disappeared from both the show and the breeding scene. Does anyone know what happened to him?

Loved that stallion, I don't know what happened to him would love to know. Here is something I found I didn't know, not sure when it was written.

Meanwhile, staffers of the USET and USA Eq are cooperating on an initiative that would allow horses testing positive for EVA to enter countries that are part of the European Union. EVA (equine viral arteritis) is a virus that can cause neonatal foal death and abortion in mares, and the EU does not admit horses testing positive for it. A casualty of that policy was Todd Minikus' stallion, Oh Star, who had to drop out of the World Cup finals line-up because he was positive for EVA.

I recall back in 2006 that he was being stored somewhere in Florida- I spoke to Todd about using him at that time, but the EVA positive prompted us not to follow through with our mare. His stud fee was quite astronomical even then. One of the vets at the clinic where Monica worked when she was in high school up in New York- the New England Equine Practice --had a foal of his and was a loyal fan.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Default that's understandable

Hmmmmmm - EU uses the blood test for EVA. Horses that test positive for antibodies in blood may or may not shed the virus in semen. So the EU policy is kind of wierd, because a lot of stallions here in the US that were negative, are being vaccinated for EVA - so the EU would not allow them to compete. It's just strange, that a top international horse may not compete at the Olympics in London, but they may comete at an olympic event in the US or in Aisa.

Quote Originally Posted by szipi View Post
    So the EU policy is kind of wierd, because a lot of stallions here in the US that were negative, are being vaccinated for EVA - so the EU would not allow them to compete.
    Not true. Stallions that test positive via blood/serum must undergo testing of the semen to determine that they are not shedders via semen. It's relatively inexpensive to test them here in North America, but if you have to do a semen test in Europe, it is really pricey. If they test negative both in blood and in semen, there are just a handful of countries that will not allow them entry. The EU however, will...
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

I wonder if it just has to be documented that they were vaccinated and therefore did not actually have EVA (??)

As part of the protocol for vaccinating stallions the first time I understood vets take one (or to be safe two) pre-vaccination vials of blood just before they vaccinate a stallion. At least that is how I understood frozen is allowed in to EU of a vaccinated stallion. (Never tried to do it though.)

Default Of course

Of course the stallion first has to be tested negative for EVA before vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    As part of the protocol for vaccinating stallions the first time I understood vets take one (or to be safe two) pre-vaccination vials of blood just before they vaccinate a stallion.
    It's what we recommend and what we do with any young stallion we are going to vaccinate.

At least that is how I understood frozen is allowed in to EU of a vaccinated stallion. (Never tried to do it though.)
    All of our mature stallions "are" vaccinated. So, a blood test will come back positive. However, semen tests negative. We froze several for export to the EU and Australia including Colorado, Edelweiss de Bonce, Mannhattan, Belafonte d'Avalon...ALL have been previously vaccinated. As part of the pre freezing protocol and all of the tests that are done, we simply send off both blood AND semen for testing. We know the blood is going to come back positive as they are vaccinated and boosted annually. But, the semen always comes back negative and that's the important thing !
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity