The Chronicle of the Horse

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hi All,
    A lot of people who don't even frequent these boards are being very generous. For you Pennsylvania racing fans, the Flying Pidgeon Syndicate has donated a breeding to Flying Pidgeon - a $3,000 value.

A bit about Flying Pidgeon (by Upper Case <by Round Table> out of Miss Minnesota by Minnesota Mac) for you:

1) Flying Pidgeon won over $1 million when he raced. He won many Grade I and II races including the Hollywood Invitational Handicap. He defeated such horses as Creme Fraiche, Strawberry Road, Pass the Line, and Dahar.
    2) He was inducted into the Calder Hall of Fame last year.
    3) He has numerous well-known offspring who have succeeded on the track including Flying American, Air Mike, and Dancing Rhythm. At last count, he had over 85 winners on the track.
    4) He is becoming well-known as a good broodmare sire.
    5) He is making a mark in show jumping: In this year's North American League Adult Jumper Division, Patty Van Housen of Mequon, WI, and Ima Good 1-2 by Flying Pidgeon (registered name Rodemo) finished in first nationally.
    6) Crouching Tiger (aka Flying Warhawk by Flying Pidgeon) was on the 6th place team at the Harrisburg National Horse Show in the Prix de States competition.
    7) Flying Pidgeon is perfect for someone to breed to who wants to race, and then possibly show jump. All the Flying Pidgeon's are incredible jumpers.
    8) The stud fee for Flying Pidgeon is $3,000 - a sizable donation for the Baby Aiden auction!
    9) Purchaser of this stud fee must agree to race the resulting foal in the Pennsylvania program (which is fabulous).

To Jane and all the members of the Flying Pidgeon Syndicate - Bless You! This is a wonderful donation to help Aiden find a new liver.

Hallie McEvoy
    Racing Dreams, LLC

JReed,

I'm not a tax expert, but I think that the only the donor of the goods and services can claim a tax deduction, not the purchaser. I think the donor can claim the value of the goods or services as a charitable gift on their tax returns, but because the purchaser is receiving goods or services for their contribution, it is not tax deductable even if the check is made out to ALF. HOWEVER, I am not a tax expert and do not play one on TV - perhaps someone else can verify or dispute this information.

In any case it's a wonderful Idea. Get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    It's all fun and games until someone pulls a shoe....

I have a beautiful trophy cooler that A Fine Romance won as Grand Champion Thoroughbred Colt or Stallion at the Royal Winter Fair.

It is beautifully made, shaped, with a leather strap and buckel at the chest, the highest quality heavy dark navy blue wool melton, with white taping and red piping. It has a red maple leaf applique on the hip and embroidered in white, Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society. It's a beautiful cooler, and would look great on your horse, or hanging on your show blanket rack!
    Unworn, except during the presentation.
    Sentimental value: priceless!
    #ThankYouHillary

I do original artwork, particularly equine and canine, and specialize in detailed graphite drawings, sometimes with color added.

Would be glad to donate one I have already done (see racehorse on my artwork page) ... if someone will let me know when/where/how ...

http://www.geocities.com/siouxpass/artwork.html

Kaleidoscope Farm
    http://www.stallionstation.com/kaleidoscopefarm
    Colored sporthorses & sportponies for non-traditional riders

I need to look into the tax stuff... I am definitely NOT an expert in this at all. (I also know next to nothing about breeding and about the same about auctions... so how DID I get elected to organize this stuff anyway?! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) But I'm going to check into it.

I honestly had thought that the people BUYING stuff would get a writeoff since their check would be to the ALF... but that was just my assumption. Very well may be wrong. Any tax experts out there?

I'm waiting for RolexH to have a moment at home to get some contact information for someone at the ALF for me... but we all know she's a bit distracted now. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

For anyone who wants to donate stuff, keep posting on this thread, and make sure you have an email listed! Then Xctrygirl (Emily) can contact you. Or email her directly at XctrygirlEwd@Hotmail.com.

Hallie... HOLY COW! Will be emailing you momentarily for info...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dressager:
    Can anyone come up with a letter to explain about Baby Aiden- what his condition is, etc.

Now that I have started to think about, I have several people on my mailing list that may be interested.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I write these types of letters all the time at work.

If someone gives me the go-ahead I'll be happy to.

I just may need some help with the how's and why's of how this is going to work, exactly how the $$ will be applied to baby Aiden, etc.

I'm gonna start now searching through old threads for history and info.

I have pairs of new with the tags still on Horka full seat breeches. Both are corduroy, one is is medium grey (size 32 european size 44) and one pair is olive green (size 32L european size 88). The full seat on both is real leather. I bought these in Holland last year but have never worn them 'cause it has been too warm in Southern California [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by nhwr on Nov. 01, 2002 at 10:43 AM.]
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

HSM, you should be able to find a lot of the info on Aiden's website:

http://www.hometown.aol.com/rolexh/Aidenshope.html

And details about the auction are here:

http://www.erinharty.com/stallions/aiden.html

But please don't pass that URL around too much, people, as it's only temporary... I'll be moving most of the info to www.AuctionForAiden.org soon. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If you need to send it via email- beedressage@aol.com

We start believin' now that we can be who we are. -Grease
    You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

I'm hardly a tax expert either but since no accountants sit on the board of NYHR, I have taken on that roll a bit. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

In any event, we just had our fund raiser including an auction. Both the donor and the buyer MAY get the tax deduction for a charitable gift. The donor gets the full value of the item by donating the gift to our 501(c)(3) charity, and the buyer gets the amount of the purchase price LESS the value of the item purchased as a tax deductible charitable contribution to our charity.

In this circumstance, however, I'm not sure the donor can take the tax deduction because is ALF really overseeing this auction? I'm not sure....so the item put up for sale is not actually donated to ALF and THEN auctioned....that might effect whether the donor may take the deduction. (The donor probably should be allowed to take the deduction but since it's not an issue for NYHR, I've never researched it.) If it works out that we are connected enough with the charitable organization to make this work, then it is a nice thing for the charity to issue a simple statement (postcard is fine) that clearly states the donor donated the goods and received nothing in return (this is not required, but is nice to have). That way, the donor may declare the full value of the item on his/her tax return.

The buyer may always take the deduction provided that his/her final purchase price exceeds the value of the item purchased. IOW, in this auction, the buyer purchases an item for $100 with a $50 declared value. When figuring their taxes, the buyer can only report a $50 charitable contribution deduction because s/he has recieved a $50 item in exchange for that $100 donation. It is the responsibility of the buyer to correctly record the amount of the charitable gift....not ALF, COTH, or anyone else (IOW, if the buyer chooses to lie to the IRS, that's their business and the charities are not held responsible for that). It is always nice for the charity to send you a note to state whether you've received anything of value in exchange for your donation, but again it's not required.

There is some good information on the IRS website for charitable contributions (most of it was written for churches but applies to all legitimate charities).

The key is that it is always the responsibility of the taxpayer to get correct documentation for the charitable gift, even though you don't include that information with your tax returns. The regs state that you should retain the proof for time period (usually 7-10 years) just in case you're audited and must prove the amount/value of a charitable donation.

HTH!

New York Horse Rescue

Just to be clear, the need here is for a letter soliciting items for the silent auction, correct?

Thanks Serendipity... I'll look into it some more and see if I can figure out how the heck all this works. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Erin, while I am not a tax accountant, my brother is and his firm does a lot of NFP work. Between the IRS site, some books he recommended to me, and asking for clarification from him, I've gotten the stuff down as it pertains to NYHR. I'm going to speak to him on the phone later today anyway, so I'll ask him about this stuff too since the circumstances are a bit different here. If he's willing, I'll see if I can hook you two up through e-mail (or at least tell you what he tells me). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

New York Horse Rescue

The IRS site is surprisingly helpful though and the brochures on these topics are in Adobe Acrobat, so easily downloaded and read.

New York Horse Rescue

Thanks! That would be great. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Good news!! I talked my dear dad into building a new tack trunk for Baby Aiden!!!

I am having him build a smaller trunk- one that can go in your trailer and be easily hauled to shows.

"The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body each is different."
    ~Hippocrates

I am basically describing Aiden's plight, the reason funds are needed, and that donations are being sought for the auction.

I assume that whoever is using this letter will be the one to post the donated item online themselves? That is, it will be a COTH member who is handling the online donation, not the person they are giving the letter to, right?

Or should I be directing the person reading the letter to come to the board to make the donation themselves?

I think what Emily is doing for the non-BB people who are donating things is having them hang onto the items... we'll post that they're available on the new auction forum, we'll handle the auction, and then we'll basically just tell them where to send the item after it sells.

Thanks Erin - that's what I thought just wanted to be clear.

the letter needs to have a non profit # for the organization that is accepting the donation. The party who is donating the auction item will be eligible for a deduction (the value of the goods donated) in this case. The party who buys the auction items may not be elegible for the deduction since they are essentially buying something, not donating money to a charity. But this is frequently taken as a deduction, and not challenged very often.

I am NOT offering tax advice here, just relating my own experience.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.