The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robby Johnson:
    but I will offer myself!

- _Three-Day Grooming Services!_ For fall 2003 three-day season. Stipulations: 1.) you must let me know by May 31, 2003. 2.) you must also pay for my travel and minimal expenses. 3.) If I have to sleep on a roach motel floor, you must at least provide me with an air mattress and my own can of Raid.

Seriously! I'll work from sun-up to sun-down!

Robby

_ I see a stairway so I follow it down
    Into the belly of a whale
    Where my secrets echo all around ... _<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, Robby that is an AWESOME idea!! That ought to raise a ton of money for Baby Aiden!

*~*~Lauryn*~*~*~
    &lt;3 Justice Served &lt;3
    &lt;3 Nip N Tuck &lt;3

Okay, now that I no longer have a deadline hanging over my head and am home with a moment to think... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Basically, what it looks like this is turning into is a way for you guys to donate YOUR stuff (tack, services, whatever) for others to buy, AND a way for you to BUY cool stuff that's being donated/collected by others.

So not only do you need to think about what tack you have sitting in a trunk at home that you want to get rid of... but what cool horsey items would you like to buy? What cool horsey items could you procure and donate?

If any of you train with or are friends with BNTs, maybe you could get them to sign a copy of a book or a poster. If you know anyone who runs a fancy horse show, maybe you could get a donation of a ticket to the VIP tent.

All of us have our own connections in the horsey world, and maybe we can use those to come up with fun things for people to bid on. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As for how it will work... I'm open for suggestions on the details. But what I'll do is set up a forum here on the BB specifically dedicated to this. We'll have a set time period for it to run. (I'd like it to finish before the stallion auction starts.)

If you have an item to sell, you just start a topic with a description of the item, pictures, etc. People "bid" by just posting the amount of their bid on your thread. All the auctions end at some predetermined time, with the highest bid before the ending point being the winner.

Then the winning bidder and the owner of the item connect and work out details. I would leave that entirely up to the individuals donating the items -- the winner might have to pay some shipping costs or something like that.

As for payment... I'm not sure how to work that. One way to handle it would be to have winning bidders send their checks to me, made out to the ALF. Once I received the check, I'd email the owner of the item and let them know the bidder had "paid" and that it was OK to ship the item. Then I'd mail all the checks off en masse to the ALF.

Or, the winning bidder could mail the check for the ALF directly to the item owner, and each item owner could be responsible for mailing them in. The only problem with THAT is that, well, not everyone here is organized, and I could see a few checks getting lost. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Anyone have other suggestions?

BTW, I'll donate a brand-new pair of black stirrup leathers I haven't yet gotten around to listing on eBay. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Darn, being a 'new' horse person, I have nothing.

But, being a new horse person, I need lots! So that means I can bid!

You guys are awesome!!!!

Andrea

our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall
    Andrea

our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall

Going to go home tonight and pick through the unused stuff we have laying around, though I doubt it can compare to Parelli or the O'Connors!

Great idea!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    www.sandbarequinetransport.com

Proud member of the ILMD[FN]HP and Bull Snap Haters Cliques

horse people... but if someone had autographed something from someone famous in the dressage world, I'd be intrigued. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Of course, you are welcome to my lovely EuroPro boots- they are only SLIGHTLY falling apart and I believe they were once white. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

We start believin' now that we can be who we are. -Grease
    You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

Any idea when the auction might take place??

Many moons ago my dad made beautiful tack trunks for Dominion and Great Falls saddlery - not as a business, but because he likes to do woodworking as a hobby. In fact is trunks were often sold the day he brought them in to the store. But he stopped doing them because it wasn't fun anymore...

But, I probably could get him to build a small trunk for the auction if I have enough time.

"The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body each is different."
    ~Hippocrates

I'd like the auction to be over by the time the stallion auction starts, on Dec. 6.

But there's no reason you couldn't offer a trunk that's still to be built. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] As long as the bidder knows it won't be arriving in a week when they place their bid, I don't see any problem with that.

...I would rather Baby Aiden get it!

A pair of Effingham field boots. size 6...worn once.

If I find anything else, I'll add it!

I want a new trunk! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] If I wait for one of the men in my life to build one, I'll live the rest of my life in Rubbermaid city.

And those black leathers you have Erin!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And any cool books Weatherford has since I didn't make it to the book sale!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'll keep my eyes out for any horse art...that's always good to offer.

New York Horse Rescue

For whoever asked earlier, yes, if you're going to offer a "service" that would be performed in person, you'd obviously want to mention your location in the auction. If you're in NC and you're offering an equine massage, you don't want someone in CA bidding on it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Maybe some of our Photographer's Clique can donate an afternoon's worth of time and a roll of film to shoot portaits of someone's horse...

Or someone could offer to do a braid job at a local show.

I think I'll throw a couple of Off Topics into the auction. For a price, we'll let you talk about something non-horsey without getting it locked. Curious to see how much those would go for. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Erin, I bet the Off Topics go for the most!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I am getting ready to email Xctrygirl - I will donate a photo shoot (OK, I'm no Terri Miller, but I try [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ) to the cause. It can be at a show or at home... I'm in Lexington, KY an am willing to travel a pretty good distance (I even hit CA occassionally if someone can be lenient with their schedule!! I also have friends in VA, TN, OH, PA, NC, SC that I can impose on for a weekend if necessary.) I'll post a couple of pics so everyone can see what they will be bidding on...

"Every day is a great day for hockey." - Mario Lemieux
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PonyFinals1.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	4717  
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

And a farm shot (of the little monster [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

"Every day is a great day for hockey." - Mario Lemieux
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpotPlaying2.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	8673  
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

We are just starting a small Auction Company.

My hubby bought some stuff for our auction and I grabbed a really nice print out of one of the boxes.I will photograph it tomorrow. you are welcome to it. I was going to frame it for my self.

But I can ship it quite easily to whoever needs to have it.

It is called."The Intruder" by Robert K Abbett.

An old farm scene,of a mare and foal and a rooster strutting in the foreground. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

fernie fox
    "I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound".

[This message was edited by fernie fox on Nov. 01, 2002 at 07:10 PM.]
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Equine Affaire is in Ohio, I think, in April. Wonder if we could get them to donate a pair of tickets?

I'll dig through my stuff this weekend and see what I can come up with.

What date(s) are we looking at to start auctioning off everything?
    ’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    Show goals achieved & Sass is in foal! 5 months down... about 6 more to go.

We've got STANLEY! Wings Rock!
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

Well, Xctrygirl is hard at work pestering all sorts of potential BIG donors for cool stuff! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] At this point, I think we will probably shoot for Dec. 1 - 15 or somewhere in that vicinity. It gives us time to scrounge up cool stuff, and to get the word out about the auction.

AND... for everyone who has said, "I wish I could help," THIS is your chance!! Are you good friends with the people at your local tack shop? Ask if they'll donate an item. Know someone who does cool horsey crafts? Ask if they'll donate something. Know someone who works for a horsey company? Ask them. Know someone who puts on a show or event? Ask if they'll donate an entry or a tshirt from their show.

I can think of three or four people that *I* know that I can ask to chip something into the auction... it doesn't have to be anything huge. Just something that someone will be willing to spend $15 or $30 or $50 on... posters, books, prints, t-shirts... anything like that. Just a small donation for one person or company to make, that will be worth another small donation by someone here who buys it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

(Of course, huge items are welcome too! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

Just email Xctrygirl with the specifics on the item. She's working on compiling a list of them.

And just think of all the fun we'll get to have SHOPPING! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

to explain about Baby Aiden- what his condition is, etc.

Now that I have started to think about, I have several people on my mailing list that may be interested.

We start believin' now that we can be who we are. -Grease

You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

Would people be interested in 5 days B&B (if they can stand me that long) with riding in Ireland? IF I get my house!!

Will definitely dig out some books...

Remember, we will all have to post these items in a special "Auction Forum" = each item gets its own thread.

19 year member of the New Hope clique! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

I too will offer photos in the MD/DC/VA area... I could pull off PA if it isn't too far from here.
    Or I will offer a print of one of my Upperville photos - http://users.rcn.com/trixie/Upperville.htm
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I know that when we BUT something and send the check to ALF, that would be tax-deductible (because the Board sez so [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img], but if someone donates an original painting, do they get to claim that as a tax deduction? I don't know about these things...thanks for the guidance.
    \"The world\'s greatest achievements often happen on the edge of chaos\"

Time for more coffee [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    \"The world\'s greatest achievements often happen on the edge of chaos\"