The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

With Erin's gracious permission we're starting up a second tier of fundraising for Aiden. In my pursuits to garner Stallion seasons I accidentally stepped into another good idea.

We have had two items donated that are autographed and now the hunt begins for more items that can be auctioned off here on the site and garner more attention to this fundraising effort. This will have a broader sweep, as you do not need a mare to be interested in these items!

So far we have been committed 2 items, they are

1. An autographed copy of Rugged Lark's book, "The Story of Rugged Lark"

2. An autographed poster submited and signed by Karen and David O'Connor

Two items is great but we need more. So the basic parameters are this, anything that has intrinsic value and can foreseeably be sold with enough of a profit as to make a significant contribution.

Erin has agreed to help us post these items for auction but on this I'll be the one managing it. :-)

I am seeking out more items for this like tickets to events, more books, videos etc. Rare items would also be nice like a famous horse's halter or the like.

Please post here or email me any ideas or items you have.

Xctrygirlewd@Hotmail.com

Thanks for your help on this and lets get some money raised!!

~Emily

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious never truly live at all"

[This message was edited by Xctrygirl on Oct. 30, 2002 at 06:07 PM.]

[This message was edited by Xctrygirl on Nov. 10, 2002 at 12:38 AM.]
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

With Erin's gracious permission we're starting up a second tier of fundraising for Aiden. In my pursuits to garner Stallion seasons I accidentally stepped into another good idea.

We have had two items donated that are autographed and now the hunt begins for more items that can be auctioned off here on the site and garner more attention to this fundraising effort. This will have a broader sweep, as you do not need a mare to be interested in these items!

So far we have been committed 2 items, they are

1. An autographed copy of Rugged Lark's book, "The Story of Rugged Lark"

2. An autographed poster submited and signed by Karen and David O'Connor

Two items is great but we need more. So the basic parameters are this, anything that has intrinsic value and can foreseeably be sold with enough of a profit as to make a significant contribution.

Erin has agreed to help us post these items for auction but on this I'll be the one managing it. :-)

I am seeking out more items for this like tickets to events, more books, videos etc. Rare items would also be nice like a famous horse's halter or the like.

Please post here or email me any ideas or items you have.

Xctrygirlewd@Hotmail.com

Thanks for your help on this and lets get some money raised!!

~Emily

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Xctrygirl on Oct. 30, 2002 at 06:07 PM.]

[This message was edited by Xctrygirl on Nov. 10, 2002 at 12:38 AM.]
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Great idea! Thanks so much to you, Xctrygirl, for organizing it!

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything valuable of mine that would fetch any money at an auction. Unless someone wants a ratty faded black polo wrap (missing a few inches courtesy of the barn's JRT) worn by my junior hunter. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I'll keep racking my brain, and I can't want to see what crops up on this thread!

Ann

P.S. Does the item have to be horse-related? Just curious...

I'd be willing to donate a drawing of, uh, something. I do this for the theraputic riding center here and they usually auction it off for around $250. Does that count? Anybody got a a good picture that I could use with permission? Or want to bid on a commission?

Here's one of the theraputic riding center drawings.
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Just a note on how this would work... the winning bidder would write a check to the American Liver Foundation, so they would also get a tax deduction. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

So, as far as I'm concerned, anything horsey of value that can be donated would be fair game. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The rest of the details can be sorted out later, but I wanted to get that one out there right off the bat!

Please, folks, info on to whom and where to send donations (and when). ...
    I will check out the attic today. Many treasures. thanks.

Oh, just noticed the title of this thread... Emily, I think for this to not be too much work, it has to be a not-silent auction.

We'll just let each person with an item to donate post a thread about it (in a special forum), and then let people post their bids.

As for how the rest of it would work, I'm open to suggestions. The winning bidders could send checks made out to the ALF to me, and I could coordinate with the people offering items to let them know payment had been received, so they could ship the item. Or the winning bidders could send checks to the individual people offering items, who would then send the checks to the ALF.

Any other ideas? The main thing is that it has to be relatively non-labor-intensive, because the stallion auction is going to be a helluva lot of work!

Erin, that sounds like the best bet - a separate forum, separate thread for each item. Any non-related comments will be deleted from the thread to keep it as clear as possible.

I will be happy to donate some books - but I will have to leave them with someone for the actual auction. (SoEasy?) I will be in NJ and go through the boxes in the barn (yes, there are still several hundred boxes of horse books) and choose a few titles.

19 year member of the New Hope clique! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

but I will offer myself!

- Three-Day Grooming Services! For fall 2003 three-day season. Stipulations: 1.) you must let me know by May 31, 2003. 2.) you must also pay for my travel and minimal expenses. 3.) If I have to sleep on a roach motel floor, you must at least provide me with an air mattress and my own can of Raid.

Seriously! I'll work from sun-up to sun-down!

Robby

I see a stairway so I follow it down
    Into the belly of a whale
    Where my secrets echo all around ...
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Oh, are we going to auction off services too? Well! This could be a LOT of fun! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'd be happy to offer a new stable blanket from Millers--the size is a 76 or 78--I'll check when I go to the barn. I've attached a photo.

Actually, I tried but will have to modify the size and can't recall how at the present.

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

I was thinking of this very same thing just yesterday, but couldn't figure out how to get it done. Thank you Emily for making it happen.

In my spare time, I do custom photo albums and would love to donate one to the auction. If you commissioned me to make you one, it would run you anywhere from $150 - $250 dollars. All of the materials used are acid and lignon free and are achival quality. Each album can fit about 85 pictures and I do family, pet, just about any type of album you want.

All the winner has to do is provide the pictures and I do the rest. I can include titles and sayings for the pages and pictures as well if the winner lets me know what he/she wants written. I've attached a sample page from my eventing album I did for myself just to give you an idea of what these albums look like.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Whoops, there goes another rubber tree plant!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robby Johnson:

- _Three-Day Grooming Services!_ For fall 2003 three-day season. Stipulations: 1.) you must let me know by May 31, 2003. 2.) you must also pay for my travel and minimal expenses. 3.) If I have to sleep on a roach motel floor, you must at least provide me with an air mattress and my own can of Raid.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robby, what a brilliant idea! I wish I could join you in that one -- but I don't know which three-days "my" horses will be running and need me for.

However, Erin, I'm lousy with the truly technical stuff, but pretty darn good at spreadsheets and cut-n-paste stuff. Let me know if you need a secretary -- I'd be happy to help. --Jess

Let me check around and see what I have to offer...then I'll email Erin first to see if my item(s) are acceptable... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] SUZ

***Hey you! Outta the gene pool!***
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Heya Guys, this thing is really rolling along pretty quickly!!

First thing.. IF you find something we can auction, then email me!!! NOT ERIN. She is busy enough doing the stallion auction I am handling this puppy!! My email is Xctrygirlewd@Hotmail.com

OK next.... You will not believe who I have gotten items, commitments to donate and possible donations from. We're talking huge names and possibilities here!!

Name dropping a few, Monty Roberts, Parelli Horsemanship, Harbor Sweets, Bit of Britain, and so many more!!!

Now to the questions...

IS there anything people would like to see on the aution block? Tickets to events? Gift items? Paintings? Pictures? Lots of autographed books are coming in. But I'd love to know what you all would bid on!!!

~Emily

San Ramon/Castro Valley/Brentwood, California

I have a lovely rolled leather black dressage bridle that would fit a warmblood size horse. It is in very good shape, leather still looks new. The horse I bought it for I no longer can ride due to navicular..........so I am very willing to donate it so that I can do my part to help the cause!

Bethe,

That is awesome... do me a favor and email me the details and if possible a picture. I will add it to the list!!!

~Emily

When are you planning on having this auction? I have some things at home I may be able to find- but I won't know for a while. Also, how are you planning on running it?

Valerie
    ~VWiles02@yahoo.com~
    UC Davis student

If we are offering services do you want area specific donations or is that too complicated? My family owns a pet grooming shop and would gladly donate grooms if anyone would be interested...just let me know!

I will look through my tack and see what I have

"There are times when you can trust a horse, time when you can't, and times when you have to."

www.boo.riana.com

xcountrygirl
    but I live on a 500 acre farm in North Ga. Maybe a "Day At The Farm?" We have 3 lakes to fish in, Trail horses - western and English, racking horses, and non - and even a carraige horse with an antique 4 person buggy - the kind with the gold fringe on top - thats I'd be happy to take the winning bidder and 2 others on a romantic buggy ride. Would that be something of intrest? Also, my dad is a Vice President at Delta - no, he can't give out free plane passes - but I might be able to snag a few crown room passes from him. I know thats not really horsey, but the Crown Room is WAY better then thoes uncomfortable airport chairs, when your flight is delayed.
    Also, I have worked for the GTOBA Stallion and Silent Auction for several years now, so I have had to call tons of stallion owners, and tack shop etc owners, to drup up stallions and items, so no problem there, except that in the past most tack shop owners are usually willing to help out where they can, as long as I faxed them a sheet telling about the organization or cause I was representing - in that case it was GTOBA - and how they would get the Tax deductions, where to mail the goods, etc. Can you write something up like that, so I can fax it to them? Email or call (if you email, Ill send you my #)

~~Come Join the Nightly COTH Chat on AOL Messenger (AIM) IM me for an invite, or C'mon in! (The room is COTH Aim Chat)~~
    ***Looking for that special horse?? Get an Exracer!!!
    http://www.canterusa.org/