The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Coggins Tests

This thread is more to get others' perspectives on the coggins test. Everywhere you go, they require them (some within 12 months, some 6 months).

It makes no sense to me that they are required, since most folks do them in the spring, and then the horse travels all summer, there is no way to guarantee that a negative test would report negative a few months later.

The coggins test is just a test at one point in time...how accurate is that 6 months later?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

A coggins test isn't accurate within minutes after being drawn. It is a snapshot in time. What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    What's your point?
    Yes....what is your point.

Like so many things we test for in life, it only tells us what is going on at that exact moment.
    Thankfully it still catches some horses with EIA so they do not continue to be in contact with other horses.

Oh, and to disgust you further, in NY your negative coggins can be good for close to two years depending on when you have it drawn.
    It is good for the calendar year it is taken and the following calendar year here.

This has been hashed out over and over on message boards for years, mostly by people who can't be bothered to fork over the measly $30 for the test, but still want to haul their horses all over the place. Regardless of anyone's opinion, the testing has worked. And it is required, so I don't understand what purpose getting others' "perspectives on the test" would serve.

It serves to catch positive horses when they are tested. I'm ok with that- my horses travel pretty often and it's nice to know the horses they are associating with LOL along the way at least had some 'check' on their EIA status.

Thoroughly useless? No.

It is not about the individual horse so much as it is about the "big picture" epidemiologically. This is a disease with no cure, that is fortunately rare, and there is no vaccination for it so if it starts to gain a toehold, it could very well be disastrous.

The best that can be done is to attempt to understand the disease and to work on a vaccination. As you might imagine, funding for that is probably a tenth of nothing. So the next best thing is to keep as tight a lid on it as possible, and that means surveillance. Is it perfect? No. Does it help? Probably. Is it doing any harm? No. Would there be a lot of regret if the practice was abandoned and a huge outbreak occurred? Yes.

Benefit small, but greater than risk. As with many things. Tests do not make anyone healthier, but they serve as an indication of status right now. Right now I know my horses were negative for EIA the day their blood was drawn. As they have not been ill, I have a reasonable level of confidence that they are still negative. If they became ill, I'd call the vet and if there was suspicion for EIA they'd be tested again, and euthanized if they tested positive. That is part of responsible horse ownership.

That is my perspective. It's a tiny burden to bear and in the grand scheme of things plays a small but important role in making sure a fatal disease does not get a running head start on us.

And to the irresponsible dinks who take their horses all over the place without testing, you're welcome. I do *my* part cheerfully.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    It is not about the individual horse so much as it is about the "big picture" epidemiologically.
    Well said deltawave.

All of it, actually, but I didn't think I needed to quote the whole thing
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

You might think that a negative Coggins test means nothing, but a positive test is very, very important.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post

And to the irresponsible dinks who take their horses all over the place without testing,
    Much like the dinks who are idiot vets who forge health certificates and the idiot owners who don't get them when they are suppose to!

Some people must think their posts show up in white font on a white background

A coggins test isn't accurate within minutes after being drawn. It is a snapshot in time. What's your point?
    LOL that is my point exactly! I could have my horse drawn today and be negative, and by the time I go to a show in a month that may not be the case.

I see your point about the big picture and catching horse that ARE positive. Its very important to catch those things quickly.

I'm not suggesting that I want to do this, because it would cost more money and be a pain in the butt, but to really be accurate and have the coggins test be more useful to determine if a horse is really negative when going to a show, the coggins should be drawn immediately before such events, each time.

It's a catch-22 because I agree they are important, it just seems like making them a requirement within 12 months is sort of useless, since that horse could be positive now, even when it was negative 12 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CatPS View Post
    This has been hashed out over and over on message boards for years, mostly by people who can't be bothered to fork over the measly $30 for the test, but still want to haul their horses all over the place. Regardless of anyone's opinion, the testing has worked. And it is required, so I don't understand what purpose getting others' "perspectives on the test" would serve.
    "Perspective" meaning some other thoughts about why the requirement would be beneficial, since it is only a snapshot in time. Why not every two years, like the poster above reported how it is in NY?

DW - the perspective I was looking for! Thanks for putting the time into your post to give me your perspective.

I think it is so easy to look at it and say, "I've never had a positive and neither has any one I know, so this is silly." But, the reason, the positives are so low is because of the madatory-continent-wide testing. If we stay on top of it, it can stay that way. Because it's a relatively "silent" disease in the early stages and for the rare horse for their whole life, and a huge epidemic could be on our hands like before (late 80's was it??) which would shut down the whole industry much harder than any of the EHV outbreaks we see today (and that cost million or billions to the industry in the last 3 years alone). Because it's A) fatal and B) doesn't have a short "if you don't have symptoms yet, you're good to go back to traveling and showing with out risk" like EHV which is 3 weeks.

To me, I could see the cost benefit to owners to make the interval between testing longer, but at the same time, is it that hard to have the vet see your show horse 1 or 2 times a year ? And I don't mean that in a catty way, but in a logistical way. Getting a coggins done is not that inconvienent if you plan ahead. My coggins are always Feb and Aug. Its the same time as shots (although I do them myself), but the show horses get their 2x a year lameness look over, tetch check, and any new xrays or injections at those times. It works well to cover the biggest shows on my schedule (march/april and sept-nov) in terms of having a 6 month coggins and HC and vaccinations falling into the critical times for protection.

It's like emissions testing. Your car may start spewing filth as soon as you drive out of the testing station but at least it will only do that for a year.

I also just have my drawn when he is there for spring shots. It is very convenient. But this year, I have a show in May, and wasn't planning to have my vet out until later in the month. Becasue last year's was done in April, it's not good for my May show, and I wouldn't have one unless I have the vet come earlier than planned. Which I obviously have to do, so I will.

Is there a place online where you can find laws by state, relating specifically to coggins testing? I am curious to see how it reads in Vermont law.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Is there a place online where you can find laws by state, relating specifically to coggins testing? I am curious to see how it reads in Vermont law.
    Dig around Here.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Dig around Here.
    But before you go off of anything on that website - read the last sentence: "The statutes and regulations were reviewed and updated as needed in October 2001." Since those regulations are completely out of date, call a federally accredited veterinarian in your area and ask them for the guidelines in your state.

Or you can contact your local USDA-APHIS office and they will also be able to help you with the current regulations.
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/area_offices/

It's like emissions testing. Your car may start spewing filth as soon as you drive out of the testing station but at least it will only do that for a year.
    good analogy