The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I will bring spinach dip with carrots and celery and some chips

I have a 2 horse gooseneck stock trailer. I'm coming from North Raleigh and if someone along the way needs a ride, I'd be happy to pick them up.

I may know of someone in New Hill just off of HW 1. That might work out as I dont' have room to bring her. I can't remember her user name right now but she's on the H/J board mostly. If I find out she's definitely coming, I'll have her get in touch with you. Thanks for offering!

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." D.H. Lawrence

You guys are making a long hack for me. What time is the planned departure??

I hope someone is familiar with the New Country.

Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group
    Finally down to a manageable number!

I leased Denny's barn one summer back in 1990 when I lived in So. Pines but it's been that long since I've hacked in that area. I'm much more confident around Kaylor field or Longleaf area. I guess if we are just careful and pay attention to the trails, we will be OK. Jeanette, I think, knows the trails at Denny's a bit too.

I don't think we've completely figured out the schedule yet...i.e. departure time. Good question though.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

To respond to a couple of points... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I know nothing of an extra horse or trail directions. Sadly, I go out into the woods, get thoroughly lost, turn Midge around and let her take me home. If I knew the way over the river and through the woods, I could hack to Denny's, since he is close but I am well and truly pathetic about directions.

I have a friend with a 'painting' type map of the foundation. Next time I am at her house, I will look at her map and see if I can figure out how to hack there, rather than trailer the mile or so the Denny's farm. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

I am coming with two other people.
    We will bring homemade bread, and cookies/brownies for desert.

Can someone post directions to Denny's. I am coming from Raleigh. Thanks!

What time did we decide on?

"There are times when you can trust a horse, time when you can't, and times when you have to."

www.boo.riana.com

I thought we had mentioned the ride starting at 11:00 but I could be wrong. Does that mean we arrive at Denny's around 10:00AM? Ride for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours? Any longer than that, and my butt gets sore. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

From Raleigh go down US1 South to Southern Pines, turn left onto Youngs Road (the old Southern Pines Tack and Saddlery on the corner).

Tamarack will be on your right, can't remember how far down it is off of Youngs, a couple of miles. Someone else will have to give more detailed directions.

From Hwy 1, turn onto Youngs Rd where the tack shop used to be. (Golly I love giving directions like that. But really, bet you know exactly where I mean...) Go two miles on Youngs Rd, and Tamarack will be (is) on the right. Small but legible sign, if you're driving a sane speed.

It's at the crest of a hill - Lake Bay Rd is on the left at the bottom of the hill, so if you get there, you were driving too fast and missed the turn. Shame on you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Once you turn in, we will probably be parking in the field immediately on the left. If we seem like we'll be a smallish group, we might park by the indoor - to get there, turn or bear left every time you have a decision to make.

I'll check in with Denny next week and share any more info, and confirm where we'll park and whether we really may stay for lunch then. Will post Weds or Thurs with the update.

Now for the really funny directions:hacking directions - such as they may be. All I know, is, to hack to Tamarack from the parking on Equestrian Rd/ May St, I've gone straight down the lane which has the vet school immediately to the left. Just keep going - eventually it goes by a shack - very decrepit - on the left, and within oh, 100 yards after the shack a wide trail goes off to the left. If you don't take that trail, almost immediately you'll be in someones yard, or if you veer right you'll be in a big field which undoubtedly has a name.

But turn left, and basically follow the Foundation boundary til you come to a narrowish bridge over a creek. (Not very far - quarter mileish, maybe) Take that bridge - I think veering right would be an option, but it wouldn't get you to Tamarack.

Keep going straight, and you'll come to the water complex - keep going another hundred yards and you'll see the indoor on your left, and we'll either be parked there or at the top of the hill just past there.

Test driving these directions would probably be wise, but it really is remarkably easy to find. Esp if you know where that shack is [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jeannette-Do we need to order various necessities like a porta-pot? What if it`s pouring? Is there a rain date?Do we have someone bringing enough coffee for everybody? I`m pretty sure we have one of those big coffee makers, but we`ll need electricity, which we have at the indoor, but not in the front parking field, if we need to park lots of trailers.
    Why don`t we get together to work on logistics? My current plan is to fly down on Fri. with my dad, but he`s 97, and not in the best health, so that plan could be subject to change. Everyone else from the farm will already be there, though.
    Do you have a trail already figured out? From Tamarack it`s pretty easy to use either side of Young`s Rd., and there`s Foundation land in almost every direction.
    Just let me know what everybody wants, and we`ll try to work it out.
    Denny

Thanks for your kind offer to help out! It's hard to guess how many trailers but I'd say approx. 8 to 12...pretty vague right now...sorry about that. I'd guess fewer rather than more. I think as we get a little closer we will have a really good idea. We may need a guide as it was 1990 since I last rode out of your place and my memory is decent but I'd hate to get everyone lost! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

We really do need to discuss a rain date. What about the Sunday after Thanksgiving or is that just too close to a holiday? The following weekend of Dec 8th would conflict with some plans and promises I have made to another trail riding group. Can we do it on a Saturday. Dec. 7th is open for me.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestions. Denny, I hope you and your Dad have a safe flight. If I can help too, just let me know!

As far as a raindate, the Sunday after Thanksgiving is good for me, but it will of course depend on everyone's travel plans.

Can one person be in charge of deciding about a raindate. Possibly that person can post their phone number(cell phone) so we can all call and check if there is a doubt. You could even leave a message on a recorder but that way everyone just calls one number. Likely needs to be someone in Southern Pines so we know it's raining there too.

I don't think we'll need port-a-johns...as crude as it may be there's always the horse trailer

Does anyone have living quarters? My friend coming with us does but I'll have to see if she's self contained so we can heat things up, make coffee, etc. I'll find out.

Whenever we go to the Moss we just follow the fire lanes-don't want to get lost.

Another thing-will there be a slower group? I would like to bring my younger horse(he has foxhunted but we stay in back) but won't if the pace will be pretty quick.

"There are times when you can trust a horse, time when you can't, and times when you have to."

www.boo.riana.com

jreventer,

Don't worry, there will be a slow group! My green mare has been on about 5 trail rides now! She's a good girl but needs an easy going ride for certain.

I second the no portajohn necessary. I actually have a porta potti in my horse trailer's dressing room and would allow folks to use it within reason...emergencies only please. I don't have living quarters (boy do I want one) but I do have a coleman camp stove that works off of propane. I don't think we could make coffee on it though.

I think your idea about a phone number in So. Pines for rain is a really good one.

Denny,

If you would allow me and my husband to haul down this weekend and trail ride out of your farm, I think I'd refresh my memory well enough to be a decent guide for the slow group anyway. Is that OK?

Thanks,

Sharon

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

The Sunday after Thanksgiving is a horse show at Kaylor Field. I don't know how many potential trail riders would be showing, but it's something to consider in setting a rain date.

There will definitely be a slow group, since I will be in it. Mighty Midge finds cantering in groups way too exciting. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Denny, how do I get to your place from say, the Warren's?

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Sharon, just make yourselves at home. Go down the lane, bear left at the 1st opportunity, and park down by the indoor ring. That way, you aren`t near any stallions.
    Midge- the Warren`s is only about 5 minutes away.If you go down their driveway off Young`s Rd., you come into a huge open field. Turn right and head along the treeline, past the Leto`s brick house,and continue around the field til you see an exit from the field to the right. This will lead to Firelane 3. Go left on the firelane, and turn right just before a shack and a lot of used appliances(if you need a bluelight special on refrigerators, stoves, whatever, stop right there!) The trail crosses the old dry lake bed, and if you stay straight, it comes right past our water jump, and up to the indoor ring.
    Denny

and if we don't provide coffee, we should be all set not needing portalets...

Denny, I'm happy to talk logistics - but I think we'll be a manageable sized group (20 people maximum, say) and the sense I get is we're not coming from far enough nor are we hardcore enough to need to set up hypothermia kits and such in advance... Email me if you would rather I call you before I head off to the USEA instructor seminar. Otherwise I was planning on calling around the 20th.

If a local cared to volunteer a contact number, for weather check in, that would be a Good Thing. Or if there's a core group who will go out in rain and sleet and snow, such that stray Virginians wouldn't be stranded, speak up and that would make life simpler!

I'm fairly well oriented in the Foundation from Denny's neck of the woods, and have certainly always gotten home thus far. Also own the Moore Co Hounds map of the area. Hadn't been planning on pre-planning a route (hoping everyone is picking up on my general laisssez faire approach to life, so structure hounds can add such structure as they need. I'm usually an obliging follower, too) but rather picking the trails with the interesting lighting - and planning on getting back before the others devour the ham...

Haven't actually heard clamor for a fast group, thus far. If I bring my Mighty Mouse gelding could lead either group. If I bring the mare we would be the chief waddlers (she's due with a Reputed Testamony foal in February, for those who haven't memorized my life details...)

If it's just miserable out - or borderline, even - is there interest in just meeeting at a diner for lunch, or is pretending to involve horses important to folks???

Rain date - should we aim for the next Sunday, Dec 1? Are there dates which are more or less convenient for (small) hordes to descend on Tamarack??

If there is a slow group, then I have 2 horses I can ride -- my out of shape field hunter who can darn well leg up quickly, or my fancy-dancy green show horse who has been in S. Pines in full training to get ready to go to Florida this winter. If his trainer says he is good on the trails, then George gets recruited.

Now its just me who hasn't ridden since mid-Sept. who has to worry about tieing up the next day. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

So add one more rider and another trailer in for the count.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Horses are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Thanks again Denny. I looked at the weather for this weekend and Saturday looks to be the best bet so we'll try to get there midday so we won't interfere with the cubbing or whatever. It's a good excuse to get my horses out and the footing is so much better down there than where I live especially with all this rain. Weren't we just complaining about how dry it was? LOL.

Lord Helpus, I'm so glad to hear you can join us too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I haven't heard anyone say they want to go real fast either...I might be up to a gentle canter but most of what my green horse has done is just trotting and walking. It will probably be exciting enough for her to just go out in a group of any size much less add a stampede to that.

If the weather is yucky, I think getting together somewhere for lunch or dinner is a good idea.

Rain Dates: I looked at my calendar and the only Sunday left that will work for me is Dec 1st. I have a trail ride with a different group on the 8th for which I'm the guide and a hunter pace on the 15th at Triangle Hunt. Saturday afternoons are open for me if that's a possibility.

I can bring brownies... we are talking Nov. 24, Sunday at 11:00? This sounds like FUN!!
    Kathi

Shea's Mom,

Of course you can come! The more the merrier. We'd love to have you! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm not sure exactly what time yet or if we'll ride first and then eat or the other way around.

Sharon

LH - I'll definitely be your slow group buddy since Fat Mare and I haven't done a thing in weeks.

I volunteer to bring the Death By Grits casserole plus the Metamucil to wash it down.

joliemom

"If you ain't got it in ya, you can't blow it out." Pops