The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

'Cause jumpxc doesn't know how to contact the owners, but says it - the Hunter trials field - is just used for the hunter trials.

So Mesach, if you can ask somebody else and get a better answer, I say go for it.

Sounds like there's not much space at Longleaf, and I don't want to impose on anybody who doesn't want to be imposed on! I'd be happy to tailgate a breakfast somewhere, if getting us and food to LordHelpus is too much hassle!

If we show up while church is still happening Sun morning is there a better chance of getting enough parking spaces near the vet school? Or is it all heathens in horseworld?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jeanette, It was really crowded at the vet school on Sunday two weeks ago. I had to pull down to the bottom of the hill by the fence either that or park on the road. I think we got there about 11 a.m. It doesn't help that people leave too much space between their trailers and the one in front of them. I really don't like the fact that there is no fence between the horses and the road there...a lot of potential for a tragedy if a horse got loose.

What about parking at Kaylor field by the race track. That gate is open all the time now I think. Also, there may be a place there that we could set up food and stuff in one of those buildings. What do you all think?

"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself." D.H. Lawrence

Kaylor field belongs to Mrs. Moss so if you want to try to use it .. you need to call Leonard at Mile-Away. The horse shows do not start there until December 1st so I bet he would say okay but someone better check first.
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction!
    Pine Meadow Farm
    www.kingandminchinbuckingstock.com

Thanks for the info Parminch,

Leonard is still at MileAway! Wow, he's been there forever. Does anyone have a phone number and know Leonard well? I may have met him 10 years ago once so I can hardly call myself well acquainted.

"bwa-hahaha, NC in August. Just you wait! "

"The Foundation in August?

I don't think so. I'd as soon be boiled in oil and be done with it. I think Hawaii is in for a bit of a shock."

Is it that bad?

Relax, Hawaii. As I recall, you are going to be at the beach. It will be great.

The Sandhills in the summer, on the other hand, is not so great. Hot, muggy, and airless. My father is from the Sandhills and I still have lots of family there. But I don't do outdoor activities there in the summer. Be very glad you're not going to Fort Bragg. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

Sleepy,

Don't forget the bugs! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] The deer flies are quite bad as I recall. I remember a flock of them chasing me down the trails once when I was trying to trail ride out there. Gnats can be a problem too especially in the evenings. I hate those &*%$# things because they fly into my eyes and ears!

"fly into my eyes and ears"

Yewww!

Daydream Believer, I think we are scaring Hawaii.

Hawaii, relax. You're moving to a very nice area.

(I'm walking a very fine line here, trying to encourage Hawaii without inviting all and sundry to move to NC. Lauriep knows how I feel about that! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

I estimated 15 trailers, and promised not to leave lunch trash or manure piles behind.

Someone may still be checking on Kaylor Field, but maybe we should save that for when everyone hears how much fun we had, and we have 40 trailers next time???

Off to ride beasties - and figure out what food to bring... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jeanette,

That's great! Thanks for asking Denny! Will he be joining us? He is after all a COTHer too now!

Jeannette, great news! thanks so much for asking!!! And *very* generous of Denny to allow us. We promise to be on our best behavior!

I've been thinking...(dangerous thing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]) about how we will have our luncheon there at Denny's. Jeanette, I can't remember too well, but is there somewhere there that we can set up our luncheon? I'm not even sure where we will park there. I'm wondering if we should all try to bring lawn chairs and folding tables. I have a couple of lawn chairs and a camping table that folds down nicely. Can anyone else bring something like that? I think most of us probably have coolers to keep perishable stuff cold without too much trouble. I also have a Coleman propane stove that could be used to heat stuff up if necessary and can scrounge up some propane for it. Also, we need to be certain to invite Denny and Mae to go on the ride and luncheon and maybe his staff to our luncheon and even to ride with us. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I have about three of those folding chairs in a bag thingies. I will bring them.

Yes, we need to invite Denny and Mae and their staff. Aren't they arriving from Vermont today? Do we have permission to hold our luncheon there also?

This is going to be so much fun!!

Do we need to start a list of who's bringing what? Food and otherwise?

We need to bring a camera, I have a regular one but not a digital.

Plenty of bags for our trash.

Well, I said "trail ride and tailgate breakfast" when I asked, which, communication being what it is, could certainly have been heard as simply "trail ride"

Hate to pester them mid-move - (Denny hopes to be settled in by the 15th) but how about when I call him after that, I'll make sure to clarify whether lingering afterwards with food will be fine.

I had been thinking of parking by the indoor, which doesn't interfere with turnout, but Denny volunteered that if there would be "many" trailers we could use the front field where event parking often happens. (The field facing Youngs Rd)

Will definitely extend the food and ride invitation then, too. My personal dream is that we lay ourselves such a fine spread that the Frying Pan Park crown gets jealous, and plots to drive down when we do our next ride [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (Cross country schooling day, anyone??? )

Maybe if folks could rustle the bushes and figure out how many trailers are likely to be there, then Tamarack could plan their turnout accordingly.

Gee, Gosh, I haven't been on the BB in DAYS! The Keeneland Bloodstock sales have been taking up all my time, and I have not checked in to see what has been happening....

So sorry about the breakfast at Longleaf Pine -- which I would still have hosted if trailer parking in the Hunter Trial Field had worked out (I have seen 2 -3 trailers parked there, but not large numbers and the Johnsons, being new owners are an unknown quantity). Unfortunately, Mother has just seeded all paddocks with winter rye which will just be coming up in a couple of weeks, so trailer parking is out in the LLPF paddocks....

So, all that said, I am really glad you all have found a solution for the parking. I probably won't have a horse who is fit enough for a several hour trail ride, but I will still come for lunch and I still volunteer to bring some major item of the food. Will the food organizer let me know what I can do?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Horses are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.
    Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities. Voltaire

Why, that would be you, wouldn't it, LordHelpus?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] So, I guess I have the exaulted title of Food Organizer.......... Damn..................

Hokay.

I will bring a full ham, all sliced and ready for sandwiches. And a variety of cheeses, bread, mayo, mustard, lettuce and tomatos.

Now we need people to volunteer to bring the following:

Soft Drinks
    Beer and/or wine
    chips/dip
    salad(s)
    desert ---brownies?

If anyone has a supply of paper plates/napkins/cups at home that would be nice also.

I had thought of a hot course, but it is hard to plan to heat something when coming in from a ride. So, unless someone is bringing their horse in a vehicle that is pulled by a camper with a microwave or oven, lets stick with sandwiches and cold stuff.

I am open for suggestions, though. The title of Food Organizer is one that I am familiar with (unfortunately...) but I have never done it after a trail ride out in the open.

Any ideas? As we get closer, we will need to know about many people we will have for the amount of food we will need. But that can wait until about 2 - 3 days before the actual date.

And I hate to raise this terrible topic, but is there a rain date? I am a fair weather rider/picnic-er..... And if I don't come, neither does a lot of the food..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Horses are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.
    Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities. Voltaire

I volunteer to bring the soft drinks...I don't see any way that I can mess that up! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] We have a big cooler and can also supply ice and stuff. I'll get the cans so we won't have to use plastic cups and I'll try to get a nice selection of regular, diet, and even splenda sweeted stuff! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My husband wants to come so I'll bring a little muscle along to help with loading and stuff. He plans to ride too and will ride the mustang and it looks like I'll be on the green mare after all. We took them out today in a small group and she was the best horse there! Yeh! Isn't it nice to have a green horse work into a decent trail horse?

Lord Helpus, can someone lend you a horse or bring an extra one along? It's a shame you can't join us. If I had space in my trailer I'd bring a 3rd one but I only have a two horse.

Anyway, I think setting a rain date is an excellent idea. I don't have any good ideas though since the following weekend is a holiday. Let's keep our fingers crossed for good weather!

Rain?

In NC??

In November? Whatever makes you think that might happen??? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Pshaw - it's just a fine soft day every now and then...

It might have been Midge who offerred a spare horse - definitely one o fthe locals mentioned a spare on the first thread.

And, yes, LordHelpus, you did walk right into that, but at least we use Hav-a-heart traps - the only irony is you're the one who set the little lever and put the bait inside, mentioning breakfast in the first place!

I'm still figuring out what I'll bring - something savory as a side dish for ham, I'm thinking. Though I guess a batch of biscuits would be appropriate!