The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default An ooops and reinforcement for DNA testing!

Eurodressage put up the story about Sezaun this morning. Not a Romanov colt after all! Kind of startling to learn that there wasn't a DNA test before the licensing!!

It is a real worry when that happens.

And that is exactly why EVERY registry should do parentage verification via DNA analysis on EVERY foal before issuing registration papers.

What a mess for the folks who bred to him thinking he was by Romanov!

What a mess for sure.

Wonder if this was an intentional 'mistake'?

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    And that is exactly why EVERY registry should do parentage verification via DNA analysis on EVERY foal before issuing registration papers.

What a mess for the folks who bred to him thinking he was by Romanov!
    This. An excuse me as I do not know every registries rules, when would this boy have been required to have been DNA tested? We have to send the DNA kit in with the registration application. Just wondering.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

I had this happen to me! Bred my mare via frozen to a certain stallion and 11 months later had a foal that looked exactly like the stallion I had intended to breed to. DNA testing showed that he could not be the sire. My vet had kept the straws (he tapes them to the mare's paperwork) and they said the intended stallion's name on them.....
    It took a long time to sort out but the sire turned out to be a guest stallion that was at the stallion station in Germany and he looked just like the intended stallion (who was also a guest stallion). I'm guessing they mixed up the stallions on collection day???

Quote Originally Posted by Somermist View Post
    This. An excuse me as I do not know every registries rules, when would this boy have been required to have been DNA tested? We have to send the DNA kit in with the registration application. Just wondering.
    How about we start a list of registries that do parentage verification on all the horses (foals, mares, stallions)?

I know (for example) the AWR requires it. We send in our registration forms and the kits come in the mail a few weeks later with the form to go to UC Davis with the sample and a time limit to submit the hair.

What about other registries?

Wow. I am a TB breeder so DNA was a given even though I saw that the stallion breeding my mare was in fact the horse I was booked to. When I bred my mare AI it could have been anything in there but no DNA to confirm it was who it was supposed to be. I am not doubting it was the right stuff but was surprised the registry would just take our word for it. It kind of all looks the same at that stage.

I felt bad that the breeders who bred to him weren't breeding to who they thought they were but hadn't even thought about the super close inbreeding that could result. Sounds like they bred some mares who were by the same sire. Yuck! I think I would abort and start over if they weren't that far along.

The AMHA (Morgan Association) has required DNA typing since 2001 and blood typing before that since 1991.

The CWHBA has made it required for registration of foals (or horses of any age) Also for horses registered prior to it being implemented are required to to have DNA at inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    What a mess for sure.

Wonder if this was an intentional 'mistake'?
    "Strangely Helgstrand promoted the 2,5 year old Sezuan as a Romanov offspring on his website, well aware that back in 2008 his mare didn't catch on Romanov breeding and was rebred to Zack."

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    "Strangely Helgstrand promoted the 2,5 year old Sezuan as a Romanov offspring on his website, well aware that back in 2008 his mare didn't catch on Romanov breeding and was rebred to Zack."
    Wow, really!
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Australia Stud Book aka Jockey club requires DNA testing for all foals.

P.

Is there a difference between requiring the DNA test and actually looking at the results and matching them up with the registration listed sire? Anotherwords--what good is that DNA testing is required if somebody does not actually look to see whether the foals DNA matches up with the listed sire? (I assume that takes a second step--whereas getting the DNA on the foal is a first step?)

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    Is there a difference between requiring the DNA test and actually looking at the results and matching them up with the registration listed sire? Anotherwords--what good is that DNA testing is required if somebody does not actually look to see whether the foals DNA matches up with the listed sire? (I assume that takes a second step--whereas getting the DNA on the foal is a first step?)
    The DNA of a foal that is applying for registration is compared to the on file DNA of both the sire and dam. That foal will then be either included or excluded as a possible offspring of said mating.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Accurate records is the basis of everything! In my experience the AWR is 100% involved in verification of all ancestors, and no papers are issued without DNA testing being complete and correct. Why would anyone expect anything less?
    When shopping in Europe I have been advised to pull mane hairs and bring them home to be tested, and to pull mane again after the said horse gets here to have double proof that the horse I bought is indeed the horse that I got, and that it is who the seller said it is......
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Off the top of my head these are registries that require parentage verification:
    AMHA (Morgans)
    AHA (Arabians)
    ASHA (Saddlebreds)
    NSHR (National Show Horses)
    TJC (TBs)
    AQHA (QHs)
    APHA (Paints)
    ApHC (Appaloosas)
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    When shopping in Europe I have been advised to pull mane hairs and bring them home to be tested, and to pull mane again after the said horse gets here to have double proof that the horse I bought is indeed the horse that I got, and that it is who the seller said it is......

Excellent idea!

OHBS/GOV requires parentage verification via DNA analysis for every foal - both in Germany and in North America - before issuing registration papers. I am not sure when this policy went into effect, but I believe it was sometime in the mid 1990's (I think that is when the Grannus scandal erupted in Germany).

I am pretty sure the Hanoverian Verband and AHS also require parentage verification via DNA analysis before issuing foal registration papers. I don't know about the ATA, AHHA, KWPN, WHA, SWANA, or RPSI policies. I believe that ISR/ONA does not require it for foals presented at their dam's side.

Quote Originally Posted by not again View Post
    Yes, often a good idea, unless you have a very good relationship with the seller/agent and know they can be trusted 100%. Some horses can be ID'd pretty well, though, by comparing their markings & whorls, and brand numbers, to their passports.