The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default A Western Forum

I don ride western, but i know there are a lot of people on here who do. At least half of us ride Western, im sure...

If thats so, look at it ths way: we have all these forums/catgory things for english, so cant we have at least one for Western?

This has been discussed many times before. The forums cover the same disciplines and topics as the Chronicle magazine, and Western isn't one of them.

I don ride western, but i know there are a lot of people on here who do. At least half of us ride Western, im sure...

If thats so, look at it ths way: we have all these forums/catgory things for english, so cant we have at least one for Western?
    Why?

The Chronicle of the Horse not a western riding magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy60 View Post
    I don ride western, but i know there are a lot of people on here who do. At least half of us ride Western, im sure...?
    Don't bet on it. This is an english board, on the endurance forum all the saddles that 'might' look a little bit western are missing that nasty roping horn.

There are lots of other boards with western forums and open membership policies.

I like that this board sticks to the disciplines covered in the magazine. I think at least half of us do too.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I ride mostly western but don't have a problem with the lack of a specific board. Good horsemanship, training, care, riding, etc is universal, no matter what type of saddle you sit in.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy60 View Post
    i know there are a lot of people on here who do. At least half of us ride Western, im sure...
    At least half? And you know this because...?
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

It won't happen. Some on here would rather talk down the western discplines then be inclusive, even though many ride western.

There are many topics discussed on this forum that are not in the magazine, ad nauseum, such as slaughter, animal rights, craigs list, youtube videos, etc. Many of them have nothing to do with this being a "sports horse board" as it's been called by many. They say western can be "discussed" in off course. That's how many think of western riding --- "off course".

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedCash View Post
    I ride mostly western but don't have a problem with the lack of a specific board. Good horsemanship, training, care, riding, etc is universal, no matter what type of saddle you sit in.
    I agree. If I have a specific question on a western discipline, there are a ton of forums out there. If a western forum is started then there be requests to sub-divide into reining, barrel racing, fitting and showmanship for the halter horse. Pretty much if I need info on my truck, I don't go to the Ferrari website.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedCash View Post
    Good horsemanship, training, care, riding, etc is universal, no matter what type of saddle you sit in.
    Painted hit the nail on the head.

This BB is like a boarding barn. If you do not like it, go some where else. They are very many BBs out there that cater to western riding in all its various forms.
    Why does every BB have to have ever discipline?

I don't understand why people are so anti-western on this board. I ride English AND Western, I always have, I always will. I also don't come to this forum because it has anything to do with the magazine, it's because there is valuable information on here and I learn a lot.

A western forum would be beneficial to me, and a lot of other people. I'm sure it would bring in new members as well. I wouldn't be opposed to a barrel racing fourm, reining, halter, etc. If you don't like it you don't have to look.

If this is truly a "sport horse forum" the mods should really delete most of the off course topics, the whole menagerie forum, and many of the other topics that pop up here.

To those of you mentioning there are plenty of good western forums out there, well not really, unless they're hiding from me. I see a lot of western forums with bad advice.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Painted hit the nail on the head.

This BB is like a boarding barn. If you do not like it, go some where else. They are very many BBs out there that cater to western riding in all its various forms.
    Why does every BB have to have ever discipline?
    That sums up the attitude here.

Lets not forget the MODs added The Menagerie some time back. I know, english riders own pets and other animals. They also eat and drink. Maybe a wine forum or recipe forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    I don't understand why people are so anti-western on this board. I ride English AND Western, I always have, I always will. I also don't come to this forum because it has anything to do with the magazine, it's because there is valuable information on here and I learn a lot.

A western forum would be beneficial to me, and a lot of other people. I'm sure it would bring in new members as well. I wouldn't be opposed to a barrel racing fourm, reining, halter, etc. If you don't like it you don't have to look.

If this is truly a "sport horse forum" the mods should really delete most of the off course topics, the whole menagerie forum, and many of the other topics that pop up here.

To those of you mentioning there are plenty of good western forums out there, well not really, unless they're hiding from me. I see a lot of western forums with bad advice.
    There is bad advice in every forum on the internet, even on COTH.
    That won't change, no matter what the advice is about, western, horses, gerbils, trucks or any other topic.
    There is also much good advice.
    Every one has to sift to find what fits them.

There is a thread in the HELP forum that discusses any changes to COTH, including what to add.
    You could go post your suggestion there.

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    That sums up the attitude here.
    It really is how life works, 7. I am not sure why you are finding a horse BB should be any different.

Why should every BB be the same? And by whose rules should every BB be held to if they are all the same?

Why is it so wrong to have a BB that covers what this one covers with out having sections for every other discipline under the sun?

[sarcasm] Darn it, I think we need an Appaloosa and a Haflinger section. None of the other sections work for my horses. And I do not want to have to go to another BB that might have sections for these specific breeds. I like it here, except the parts I do not like and I want here to change the parts I do not like to be what I insist it be. [/sarcasm]

It won't happen. Some on here would rather talk down the western discplines then be inclusive, even though many ride western.
    Both statements may be true enough, but putting them together suggests that they are linked. I don't think they are, do you?

What is being suggested is only a matter of organizing the board, not madatory posting.

Example: many have suggested that ALL the rescue and "non-profit" posts be placed in a seperate forum.

Quote Originally Posted by fburton View Post
    Both statements may be true enough, but putting them together suggests that they are linked. I don't think they are, do you?

YES.

I think many on here look down at the western disciplines.

They do exactly what they accuse those riding western do to english.

I don't think anyone on this thread has been "dissing" western riding. I think they've disagreed with you, and you don't like that.

This forum is centered around disciplines the Chronicle magazine covers. Western is not one of those disciplines. There are plenty of lovely western centered forums around and even a multitude of other horse forums. Just because some of us like it here and hang around, doesn't mean everyone needs to feel the same way. Different strokes for different folks and all.

And just so I can't be accused of hating western riding: I rode western for the first 5-6 years of my riding life and enjoyed it a lot. Who doesn't like running barrels?? But I would still go to a western forum if I wanted to discuss western riding.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

YES.

I think many on here look down at the western disciplines.

They do exactly what they accuse those riding western do to english.
    Are you seriously suggesting that a Western forum category is not going to be created because some (which may or may not be "many") posters look down at western disciplines?

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    I don't think anyone on this thread has been "dissing" western riding. I think they've disagreed with you, and you don't like that.
    Ding ding ding! Ginger hit the nail on the head.