The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wintering for West Coasters?

Just curious...but where do people not located near the eastern seaboard winter (if they do)? Do they go to Southern California or someplace similar? Or do they drive all the way to Aiken/Ocala?

I live in NorCal, and we don't "winter" anywhere... winters are 45 at the COLD COLD COLDEST and mostly temperate 50-60 with no snow, so it's not *really* recessary to go anywhere.

Most eventers I know don't *winter* anywhere ... just tough it out here!

How about people who live in states like Wyoming or Colorado? Most people I know go south for at least a week or two just to start the season early because there are so many events located in one area.

Quite a few eventers come to Southern California from Montana every year for the winter. They stay at or near Galway where they have access to events at least every two weeks including a CIC***.

That is what I was thinking they would go for-especially those competing at the upper levels. There are a few people i have heard of that come from colorado to Aiken but I was wondering if there was anything closer to them. Southern California looks like they have a good amount of events over a month-long period

Quote Originally Posted by justblu View Post
    Quite a few eventers come to Southern California from Montana every year for the winter. They stay at or near Galway where they have access to events at least every two weeks including a CIC***.
    Jil Walton usually goes down to So Cal for a few weeks in the winter. I believe Martha McDowell does this as well.
    For the most part, the rest of us just wait it out and give our horses a much deserved break and ride indoors if avalible. I would love to spend a few weeks of my winter/early spring in So Cal competing though!

Many West Coasters winter in Southern California, especially the Temecula area! Jil and Martha and their students were at Galway for the winter, we had two large groups from Washington at our barn, and I know of another group up north a bit that came down from Washington.
    There are also a few West Coasters who travel to Ocala/Aiken...but generally those people aren't just going to compete and winter. Whitney Weston, Jordan Linstedt, Maris Burns and a few others are on the East Coast, but to prepare for move ups and live more permanently on the East Coast as well.