The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Teddy is gone...godspeed old man.

Updated 4/28: We took Teddy to the vet this afternoon, and we all decided it was time. My favorite vet was on duty and helped Teddy Pop slip over the bridge with such sweet compassion. I know it can't be easy for vets to do that. We buried him in the front pasture, where he loved to spend time herding the horses (never bothered them in the slightest, but sure made that dog happy to have a "job"!). I'll miss his silly grin, his habit of putting his head between your knees and expecting you to love it and his happy butt wiggle every time you said his name. Momma loves you, Poppy. See you on the other side.

My Aussie is hanging on, breathing still not good (pneumonia) but he's stopped eating! Was really doing better over the weekend (on two antibiotics in pill form, and pain meds/antinflam) but now doesn't want to eat. I've been wrapping pills in roast beef and he's chowed them down. I cooked him chicken, and he was eating that well, but last night...nothing.

I called vet, and they sent home two injectable antibiotics, which I gave, and he did eat about 3/4 cup of dry/wet mixed food and a metacam pill, but not his tramadol.

Any ideas on how to encourage his appetite and how to get his pills down him!! I want to give him a fighting chance to get better, but can't afford to do a ton of vet appointments/meds..
    Last edited by Calvincrowe; Apr. 28, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Stuff the meds down his throat.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

While Eq might sound slightly harsh, I agree...no need to get them to "eat" their meds, just put the meds down his throat. If you've not done that before: Open mouth, take pill and shove towards gullet. Close dog's mouth and hold closed while pointing towards the sky. Typically, they'll lick and that's when you know it's down the hatch.

As for eating...one thing that i've learned after a few years working in clinics and dealing with my own sick pups is that smell is important. Boiled chicken doesn't smell so hot. You can try some tuna water over chicken/rice. You can try other more savory things...think smell. That's one reason A/D food is so palatable I think. Smells like tuna and man, I have reeked of it far too many days of my life! LOL. When in doubt, make it stink!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

CC, try liverwurst.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Maybe a vet tech visit, just to get an idea how to pill him? Just because you obviously don't want to put anything down the wrong way, with the pneumonia going on. It's pretty easy - pet dog lovingly, use the fingers of one hand to prop open the jaw (insert fingers in hinges, so they can't close), use other hand to propel pill WAY down the throat. Close dog's mouth, and stroke their throat to get them to swallow. I like to feed something afterwards, to make sure she didn't pocket the pill and plan on ptooeying it discretely behind a chair when I leave. And ask the vet if the medications are notoriously hard to give - I recently discovered first-hand how vile prednisone is, and appreciate the difficulty I've always had getting that one into the dog.

As for food, I've used McDonald's food and every kind of canned meat to tempt a very ill dog to eat a little. With the current dog, who has a restricted diet, I've used minced chicken breast with white rice, reheated so it smells more, sprinkled sometimes with cheese, and hand-fed. Good luck!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

He bit me when I tried to pill him, but I'm willing to give it a go again in the AM.

I am perfectly happy to try hand feeding...but he just is not hungry. Hmmm..stinky...tuna I have and I'll try it.

I just really hate to see him so miserably...old and infirm. Poor Teddy
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Does he like cheese? We alternate between cream cheese and american cheese for pills.

As for the not eating, when my dog wasn't eating last summer (also pneumonia) the vet suggested scrambled eggs or chicken soup & bread. The scrambled eggs only worked if they were cold and covered in american cheese. Hot eggs or plain ones she just ignored. The chicken soup, however, was a huge hit. We would put pieces of white bread in her bowl, cover it with some soup (chicken & rice), stirred until it was mush (adding water as needed), and dinner was served. It took about a week before she would consider canned food, and another 2 before she was back to her usual dry food.

Mighty dog canned beef, warm it. It saved my old Shepherd cross January when she was shutting down from Lyme disease during treatment. The old Amish swear by it and that is how I learned about it. Just the beef.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

To make pilling easier, you might try Pill Pockets, which are little pillows you put the pill in, and the dog or cat eats the whole thing, it does make it easier! The pills don't get so slimy and they think they are getting a treat!

We have also used hamburger, and liverwurst, cat food (!!-it DOES have a strong smell), think my husband may have even used Vienna Sausages!! hope your boy eats!

Maybe some fluids would perk him up a bit?

I know it sounds nuts but stinky often works.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Use gloves if you have to. Roll pill up in a bit of Philadelphia cream cheese or liverwurst. Place food bit on end of wooden popsicle stick. Pry dogs mouth open enough to slide pill ball in. Even very sick dog will swallow.

I dont know if anyone has shared this with you yet, but the tramadol tastes HORRIBLE! It is very very bitter tasting medication, and had a tendency to make them hyper salivate if given alone.
    Watch how you handle the pills and then what you are touching. For patients we have overnight in the hospital, I have learned to use peanut butter, put some peanut butter on the end of tongue depressor or like object and then stick tramadol tablet inside of peanut butter and then insert in dogs mouth scraping against the roof of the mouth.

There's a nifty little device called a pill popper (walmart neven has them--sold in a kit with syringe and another goodie or two). Have used it on cats,
    but it looks like it would be big enough for an Aussie.

All else fails, try some canned cat food....ever so much better than dog food
    says my two.

Default Velveeta

Velveeta works for my two guys. I just had a scary weekend with one dog in the Emergency vet clinic all weekend, on IV's due to vomiting and the runs. They couldn't release him until he would take something by mouth. I think they may have used cat food to entice him to eat.

When I finally got him home and was doing the chicken and rice protocol, he would pick at it (this is a 90 lb shep/lab mix) and would refuse all oral meds and would spit out the Pill Pockets!! He would clamp his teeth down and not let me pill him - he's on 4 meds! Finally, Velveeta worked although it's not stinky for some reason my guys really like it.

Hope this helps!

Kraft American cheese slices are working for me right now. I squish a piece of cheese around the pill (and make my own type of pill pocket) so that my dog has a harder time separating the two. She really likes cheese though so she takes them with no issues like this. She's been on the antibiotic Baytril which can't be given with anything dairy within 1-2 hrs so I've had to be a bit creative with that one - I finally started making little meatballs out of her canned dog food with the pill inside and that seems to work for those. haha!

Also, if he's on lots of antibiotics, it's possible that those are making him nauseous and not wanting to eat. Can you ask your vet about anti-nausea pills? My pup has been on Ondansetron (Zofran) with all of her meds and it's helped a lot.

Fingers crossed. I've been there too so I know how stressful it is and how helpless it can make you feel when you can't get the meds in them that they need.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

have dog sit on the ground, stand behind dog with his head cradled at your legs. take left hand and run it from nose to back of lips and then use your finger to open up this mouth like you would for a horse to open his mouth for the bit, you are just doing it from the top. Now, with left hand on the top of the upper jaw take his lips and kind of curl them down so if he decides to bite, he gets himself. (this all happens very quickly, it one swift motions)
    then while mouth is open, head is up, nose pointing to the sky, take pill that HAS been in your right hand and with your finger push it down his throat. take right hand and and close his mouth, stroke neck in a downwards motion.

praise and give a cookie if he will take it. I do cats this way too except I sit on the floor and they are in between my legs with my ankles crossed so they cant shoot out the back.

I really need to make a video of this.

"have dog sit on the ground, stand behind dog with his head cradled at your legs. take left hand and run it from nose to back of lips and then use your finger to open up this mouth like you would for a horse to open his mouth for the bit, you are just doing it from the top. Now, with left hand on the top of the upper jaw take his lips and kind of curl them down so if he decides to bite, he gets himself. (this all happens very quickly, it one swift motions)
    then while mouth is open, head is up, nose pointing to the sky, take pill that HAS been in your right hand and with your finger push it down his throat. take right hand and and close his mouth, stroke neck in a downwards motion."

This is how I have been giving my lab his Tramadol, Deramaxx and thyroxine meds daily for a year.

Works very well.

Is he warm enough? They can't, won't eat when they're cold.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    CC, try liverwurst.
    That's my go-to pill disguise of choice. Liverwurst is the best!
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry