The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

havaklu... i was referring to this quote from Flash44, not your comment...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And also, I think the Williams sisters are some of the best tennis players around. What incredible talent. However, I think it is almost disgraceful for them to run around in some of the outfits they do. If you want to dress like that at the beach or at a night club, fine. But for heavens sake, this is professional tennis on national television. Have some self respect. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I would feel like I owed it to the world to dress the way they do. They are unbelievably athletic. If either lacked in self-respect it would be pretty hard to play as consistantly and as well as they do.

They may well feel that reason others dress more conservatively is that the OTHERS lack self-respect. When I was buff that's how I felt about it, and now that I'm heavier and wear a lot more clothing than I did, I bet I still feel that way.

Dressing is seldom REALLY a moral issue. Maybe the "wild" woman is fed up having to go deal with a bunch of uptight snobs every weekend in order to get her show-jumping fix in. Maybe she would love to ride hunters too, but can't bear to pull her "freak flag" down long enough to suck up to the establishment THAT much. She already has to change shirts to go into the jumper ring, which isn't even JUDGED on appearance. Eh?

I also thought it was disgraceful when Hugh Hefner brought his 3 (or was it 4) girlfriends to the KY Derby showing more skin than the horses. There is a time and a place to dress like that - it is not at a horse show, or Wimbledon. You can get plenty comfy and free to move around in something less revealing. The Williams sisters also design many of their outfits. Another rare and wonderful talent - but why do the dresses have to be backless, sideless and skirts cut up to the crotch? It's like everyone is screaming for attention through their wardrobe.

It doesn't cost a lot of money to dress traditionally. I have one good shirt and one good jacket. It has nothing to do with "class" or whatever you want to call it. I don't ever really care what the woman wears, but the name of the horse is still offensive. There are songs on the radio I won't listen to due to their lyrics, books I won't read due to the content, and companies who's products I won't buy due to their advertising or other practices such as using child labor or sweatshops to manufacture their products.

Gold Dust, yes I am quite the nerd. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't ever really care what the woman wears, but the name of the horse is still offensive. There are songs on the radio I won't listen to due to their lyrics, books I won't read due to the content, and companies who's products I won't buy due to their advertising or other practices such as using child labor or sweatshops to manufacture their products.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If she can wear what she wants, listen to what she wants, read what she wants, and buy what she wants just as you do - then why can't she SAY what she wants?

Her horse's name is nothing more than a "statement" and freedom of speech is one of the most fundamental rights we have.

The fact that you find the words Hot Sex offensive is more your problem than it is hers.

hear hear!!!!!!
    Brilyntrip

Flash, there is a difference between the sterotyped nerd[ie masking tape around the brim of glasses] and people who like to follow tradition. You still have my vote!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

To those of you who do not know me just a little clarification here. My son who is 13 works jump crew for some of our local shows. I do not like him to be sujected to reading the name but
    I have raised him well and he has told me way befor this thread it was 'unappropriate'.[shining mother moment] He knows about this sport and tradition and when he shows he follows suit.In school he is in those horrid baggy pants I can not stand but I let him express himself. He knows when and where to be expressive!

Now,I was waiting on posting this until my flame retardent suit arrived so here goes. All the advocates for expressing yourself- do you think if this woman was riding in the open jumper division and in the schooling ring with all those grand-prix riders her use of that name and being on the saddle pad would last more then 5 minutes?Come on now-answer honestly!
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

I couldn't see it lasting more than 30 seconds!!

You mean, Gold Dust, will her 'integrity' remain intact competing against, and amid, drug addicts, alcoholics, horse abusers, money gougers, cheaters, and scam artists? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Good golly, if the morality police need to storm troop anything it's among the ranks of some pros.

And speaking of concern for children and 'morality' - exactly how do some of you think her children would react should they stumble onto this thread; and where is the 'morality' in publicly bashing this rider?

"Mommy, does it really matter?" - Sumo toddler, age 3

gold dust... I don't really understand the point of your question. That someone who is tacky and tasteless probably will never be a top level rider? That at the grand prix level the peer pressure to conform would be so much more intense that she would drop her freaky affectations? That she'd be more likely to pay attention to the jumps than her attire if she were jumping that big?

I agree that it's unlikely that you'd see someone like that in the grand prix schooling ring, but I'm not sure what the significance of that is.

People, you've been warned multiple times to take this AWAY from discussion of individuals. I'm going to start deleting posts that are focusing too narrowly on one person. Talk about the issue at large all you want, but this doesn't need to be a crucifixion of any one individual.

Also, I think comments on someone's riding ability or lack thereof are cheap shots and have absolutely zilch to do with the discussion.

Watch yourselves, please.

There will always be those who feel the need to be cheesecakes.

Thank goodness we have the right to our individuality.

May the good lord bless the attornies who defend your right to freedom of speech.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

As much as anyone of us may not like the name of the womans horse...it is her right to name her horse what she would like. Also, as for her dress, people may not like the way she dresses but thankfully we do have a right to choose what we wear. I personally think she sounds tacky BUT I don't feel like it's my business to tell her what to do, wear, say, eat, drink, ect...
    Also, I don't think she is what we need to be worrying about. I think Heidi sort of brought up a good point. There are "drug addicts, alcoholics, horse abusers, money gougers, cheaters, and scam artists" and the like that we should be going after, not some tart and her horse....really guys, she is small peanuts. The only thing she is really threatening in this sport is tradition. In my opinion, the hunter world could use a little updating (check out the latest golfers and tennis players) I personally love Venus and Serina Williams and what they wear. I think it suits tennis quite well, as it is a sport where you need to move often, fast, and precisely--the more layers you have on---the tougher that is. Ok ok, I'll stop now! Just my 2 cents and I'll be throwin' my flame suit on right now! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    \"Donuts. Is there anything they can\'t do?\"
    ~Homer

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    � The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

Will this be over soon?

Anything more we can wring out of it? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    [i]\"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be wo

"Well I for one am seriously inspired by this thread.

I plan to show only jumpers, I WILL wear a white collared shirt, but over my black Frederick's bra, I will NOT wear undies with my white britches, and I will name my horse "Bush Pilot." (Which is what Maggie on Northern Exposure is, a bush pilot). Any objections?"

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I just read through the entire thread and came upon this....you are a riot!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    \"Donuts. Is there anything they can\'t do?\"
    ~Homer

How about the financial aspect of it all. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    The impact on horse show, Fed and trainer income if horse names are regulated.

You took me the wrong way on that one. I have never personally attacked this woman at all once on this thread.As I have said befor-it is the name of the horse that is in question. Then my personal ideas on traditional dress. I have never once talked about her riding ability.And,for the record,her horse is a legit competitor in the Adult jumper division. He jumps around and has made it possible for them to take home good prizes. Not at all did I mean that she could not be competing in a higher level if she wanted to.It's traditional dress and a non offensive name I am trying to cover.

Let's make this easy here so we can get real answers without it turning personal. I will call said horse.....hmmmmm...Sex with a @%$# and a $%##@......The rider is trying to enter the ring with a see through shirt but it has a collar.No bra by the way.

Now- can we all answer based on this imaginary person I just made up and not personally attack one.
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by C-Urchn:
    How about the financial aspect of it all. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    The impact on horse show, Fed and trainer income if horse names are regulated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...not to mention Fredricks of Hollywood! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Gold Dust, the post I was referring to has since been deleted, by the poster, I assume. (Good call, btw.)

But I'm still seeing words like "tart" and "floozy" being thrown around... so, again, please take this away from specifics and talk about the issue in general. Imaginary examples are welcomed. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]