The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

You know, we are not allowed to put any type of suggestive things on license plates on cars either!

The Federation is a right not a priviledge. They should be able to set down any inapropriate name that can be percieved as offensive. However, there are always ways around it! I know a little bit of Tongan, and there is a lady in my area whose license plate says the F word in Tongan! Not many people know that, but I do! And yet I wasn't allowed to have "meepster" because appearantly that has sexual connotations according to the DMV computer! I had a really cute jeep and my horn didn't honk, it went "meep"
    What's my point? I don't really know anymore, but that name for that horse is terrible!

And MichelleMC, e-mail me I want to know the name of that poor child!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Check out my stable! http://www.rockystables.com
    Is minic a rinne bromach gioblach capall cumasach
    An awkward colt often becomes a beautiful horse .

At the in gate is a lot better than some of the other in gate calls. For example, there is "on deck", "one away" and the worst by far would be "in the hole"

[This message was edited by lastcall on Jul. 17, 2001 at 11:11 AM.]

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Betsy
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Is it not the choice of the individual to say the name over a loudspeaker?Remember, he has just recieved a class sheet with that name. I really believe the only one who can stop offensive behavior is the AHSA. A simple beginning to that is to have the right to refuse an offensive name. Offensive behavior can be taken to any steward at a horseshow. We as individuals have to go to them as they are put at a horse show to help the exhibitor and many other reasons.
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

I have fallen off my computer chair from laughter and cann't get up! I am hearing someone say that at the U.S. air arena in Washington in the schooling area, and seeing the look on peoples faces.Go there, it is a site!!! I remember telling my student that years ago,it's time to go down in the hole and saying to myself,'geeze that didn't sound right'! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

Flash 44: Yes, Isitingood got by the Jockey Club, but I heard that eventually the owner was forced to change it to something more discreet...

Incidentally, that horse's trainer was the infamous Bob Baffert of the "Morning Wood" stable, who originally wanted to name Silver Charm "Poker for a Buck" (he is by Poker out of a Spend a Buck mare, I think)....

Ever notice that classy horses (on the track or otherwise) tend to have classy names?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    \"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will.\" -- Alois Podhajsky

\"Go on, Bill... This is no place for a pony.\"

Hope no one was offended.

Sadly the US Air arena is no more but I hear you! In the hole!!! OMG! Into the chute??? "Please bring Hot Sex to the ingate!!" Really Russell, get a HOLD OF YOURSELF!!! hahahahahahahahahhaha

Betsy

I judged it last weekend .Now Let me remind you that I live on Long Island and have um watched the travelling freak show for the last few months.I have reserved comment because I know the trainer who is a likeable soul if not very assertive and very non confrontational.All the afforementioned comments are totally accurate.Last weekend however I noticed something else!!!!!NO undies!!Just as I noticed the timer lady noticed along with three of her cronies!!!I have just one word GGGGGRRRRRRRRROOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSS.
    Brilyntrip

Can't you, Brilyntrip, as a judge, disqualify her for inappropriate attire? Attire, even for the jumpers, is spelled out in the rulebook.

(Of course, not down to undies [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    - but the lack of a proper polo shirt is covered.)
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Now that you mention it..I DID notice the no undie thing..or a very "brief" thong..in WHITE breeches ...gross?? that's an understatement.

Betsy

We like being the morality police..! LOL

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    [i]\"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be wo

I'm with you.... I am surprised at the outpouring of anger over this.... I wouldn't agree that the name "hot sex" is by definition offensive (as someone posted.). It doesn't offend me. I think it's a little silly, and would never name my horse such a thing, but I would certainly rather be a part of a community that allowed a little expression rather than one which was so rigid and conservative that it can't take a joke. The name, and others like it, is tasteless, in my opinion, but I'd like to allow others a little leeway to be tasteless.

There are many more offensive, and I think pernicious, things I've seen at horse shows (little girls throwing the reins of their ponies to Mexican grooms, riders and trainers from "little" barns getting treated with less respect than the big names). Personally, I'd rather have child overhear an offcolor name than witness some of the behavior that goes unremarked at some of the big shows.

Silver Charm is by Silver Ghost.

My husband is also very intrigued by this thread [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Funny, he has never paid this much attention to my riding attire [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] However, we have noticed quite a few jumper riders apparently wearing thongs recently - is this the "in" thing?

Flash44: Thanks, my knowledge of TB breeding is off... trust me, Poker is in there, as is Spend a Buck...
    \"It is by no means the privilege of the rider to part with his horse solely by his own will.\" -- Alois Podhajsky

\"Go on, Bill... This is no place for a pony.\"

DelMar shows Silver Charm as being by Silver Buck out of Bonnie's Poker, so Bob Baffert's choice would have made sense [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Actually, Silver Charm is by Silver Buck (loved that horse) out of Bonnie's Poker. So you just may be right about Poker for a Buck. Quite original! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Sorry, no Spend a Buck (thank goodness - that would have shaken my faith in TB breeding!)
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

What does this crazy person show in? Will she really be at HITS Catskills V? That would be a sight too see! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]
    *Worthwhile*
    http://community.webshots.com/album/159338172AjdUVn
    *Believe In Me*
    *Bolero*
    *Look No Further*

DMK - no rude comments about Spend a Buck please. My OTTB, Jimmy, is very defensive about his dad and doesn't want to have to go back into therapy again [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]