The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Martin's Carriage Auction

Anyone else going to Martin's Auction in Lebanon PA Friday and Sat?

If you're free and ndear by consider stopping in... it's awesome!

Tricia and I and a friend are going on Friday
    Havent been in a while and its always a dday out to see whats going on

looks like quite a few quality pony vehicles in the cataloged auction

and then there is the convertible meadowbrook single shafts to mulitple with pole and lead bars for up to a 6-up hitch of ponies - - Yikes
    and there are two of them listed ! ! !

Might go out again on Sat if there is anything we might want in the field session
    Just means getting up extra early 2 days in a row

The last time I went I bought a Bennington marathon vehicle, saw Wendy Ying again and had some good french fries...stayed in a lovley B&B thursday night and made a nice short trip of it.

I can't afford going this Spring...gets way to expensive when I see something I really "need".
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

I am fighting the temptation! I just bought a new harness, and have no funds or room for another vehicle (though I want a Sprint so badly!!). I know I will come home with something if I go, so no no no no no!

Though those of you going, please report your finds so I may live vicariously through you! lol!
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

Our friends going to Martins have left already today. It was tempting, but with daughter gone, no horse sitter handy. I love going, just won't be doing it for this sale.

I didn't see the 6-up Meadowbrooks in my brochure! How scarey!! Lots of other neat looking "stuff" shown though. You can pretty much find anything driving related, at the Martins sales. Getting to be less quantity of the very cool antique things, horse related, stable equipment. Still turns up, just less and goes for BIG money to collectors.

Have EXTRA fries for me! My mouth waters thinking about them.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/ph...1341215&feed=1

this is from the Martins website
    pix of what will be sold

the convertible meadowbrook pix is on the right side 2 rows under the row of paintings
    and then another futher down

lots of nice vehicles showing too

Wow, six horses in front of a Meadowbrook?? Yoiks.

Quote Originally Posted by Drive NJ View Post
    http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/ph...1341215&feed=1

this is from the Martins website
    pix of what will be sold

the convertible meadowbrook pix is on the right side 2 rows under the row of paintings
    and then another futher down

lots of nice vehicles showing too

I'll be going tomorrow... need my pulled BBQ pork sandwich, my fries, and whoopie pie fix. Then I'll go back inside later for lunch! (Martins is the only place I shamelessly eat french fries at 11 AM while bidding on horse paraphernalia that I don't really need but must have just the same.)

Can't wait!

Soooooo...... who got what?? Inquiring minds and all that
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

OK so mostly why I go to the auction is to socialize anymore.
    Got to chat with a bunch of people I dont see all the time

Had a chance to physically SEE and poke around, some of the modern 2wheel carts - like the Kuhnle funline and Pacific and another
    and heard some good comments about the Frey Sprint from 2 people I respect

as to the Kuhnle - HEAVY
    yeah it balances well with a person on the seat
    but if they move - the horse is gonna feel it
    and HEAVY - I cant see me moving it around in the barn or easily loading it into my ramp trailer - much less getting it up into the bed of the pickup! I was really surprised!

Compared to long ago - there were fewer vehicles on the block
    some really nice antiques went for what they are getting nowadays but much less than their true worth

Tricia fell in love with a neat cast iron sign of a sidesaddle rider
    I would have enjoyed one of the antique pix - but since I have no place to hang it . . .
    Last edited by Drive NJ; Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks for the report. Did the sidesaddle sign go high? Didn't see that in the advertising photos. I love old cast iron, have a number of items here that STILL need to be put in place. Husband laughs about it being "the iron age" at our farm!

We didn't get any calls from friends doing Martin's that we had checking for breast collars, so I guess they aren't bringing us any surprises. We wil see if they got anything for themselves when we go visit on the first Picnic drive the 19th. We also enjoy the social side of things there, see folks you never can get together with at other times.

If I had lots of money, I would have been doing the online bidding for the California sale. They had an Abbot and Downing Yellowstone Coach. I have always wanted one, and we could drive a Six to it. It would probably hold enough friends to have a huge picnic with only one vehicle!! Photo in the Auction listing was just what I want. I thought the roof was a bonus, never saw one with a roof. Not sure it would fit in the carriage shed, but it would be SO fun to drive!! I wonder if it would qualify for Coaching classes at shows, or fall into "country" vehicles classes? Whatever, it would definately fill up a show ring!!

Tricia fell in love with a neat cast iron sign of a sidesaddle rider
    My hubby fell in love with the same sign. He showed it to me twice, and even told me where he would hang it... in my barn. I merely gave him the narrowed eyes. He finally realized a "closed door" when it glared at him, sighed and patted the lady goodbye as we were headed out the door to drive home. I'll have to tell him it had more than just himself to admire it! It, however, was not my cup of tea. I think the antique horse water trough below it came with the sign (which was sitting in the trough)

We were rather disappointed with the low number of carriages there, and the lack of quality antiques. Never saw so many used marathon vehicles. Some cute mini stuff - I could have outfitted a mini quite nicely in lovely carts and harness, including a full neck color with brass hames! But nothing I wanted to bid on or take home.