The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AC4H

The POM thread raised some questions about AC4H for me since I don't know a ton about them. I'm not looking to get in a fight or anything but I'm just curious.

Does AC4H make a profit off the broker horses? The prices seem so high for brokers it makes me wonder if they are inflated for their profit. Can you call the broker yourself to talk to them about the horse? It seems like that would be easier if they weren't making a profit.

How does AC4H keep horses in their care for so long? It seems like some have been up for adoption for years. Most rescues seem to want to move horses so they can help another but this doesn't seem to be the case with AC4H.

Why don't you search instead? There are countless threads with more info than we can come up with off the top of our heads.

If you do a search here on AC4H, you will find your questions answered. Do it when you have plenty of time on your hands, because there has been quite a bit written here about them, both positive and negative.

(I could be wrong, but I believe most of it's negative.)
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Here you go....

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=318970

http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274376

Then of course, we have Forever Morgans...AC4H funnels Morgans to them and FM says they operate under AC4H's 501(c)3, which we all know (from ARM) is illegal. It gets interesting when the houseguests start to arrive.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=321167
    Last edited by LauraKY; Apr. 25, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    If you do a search here on AC4H, you will find your questions answered. Do it when you have plenty of time on your hands, because there has been quite a bit written here about them, both positive and negative.

(I could be wrong, but I believe most of it's negative.)

well, the charitable side of the business has gotten ripped to bits.

The broker side is legit, as horse trading can be I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I just did a search and, yes, I am going to have to sit down with a glass of wine and read this!

Quote Originally Posted by WarDance View Post
    I just did a search and, yes, I am going to have to sit down with a glass of wine and read this!
    And popcorn. Lots and lots of popcorn.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Quote Originally Posted by WarDance View Post

you will need a big box...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    you will need a big box...
    I think that goes without saying!

That's what she said?

Too bad I can't make the text small, because I would have.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Just deal directly with the brokers if you want a PA broker horse. You will have to ask around a bit, but if you are from the region it is not too hard to get in contact with them. It is said that they don't deal with the public but they do. Look in the local papers, they all advertise camp horses and such. That way you can try the horse or and many of these guys even free lease over the winter so you can get a really good try before you buy. Many will even deliver pony to you and will go out and find one that fits your needs if they don't have one that suits you. Dealing directly with them will get you a cheaper price and while horsy is on trial you can get them vetted. This is how I got my little jumper, honesty the hardest part in negotiating the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    I don't care for AC4H, but that sounds suspicious. She paid for the horse, was supposed to pick it up, it's I'll, goes to the vet, bill gets paid after being harassed, but the the horse never gets picked up? Yeah, I believe it
    RIP Duff - aka The Big Fat Pony

Quote Originally Posted by bigfatpony View Post
    I don't care for AC4H, but that sounds suspicious. She paid for the horse, was supposed to pick it up, it's I'll, goes to the vet, bill gets paid after being harassed, but the the horse never gets picked up? Yeah, I believe it
    Say what?
    I read that the person wanted an itemized invoice from the Vet [probably the same Vet who was QT'ing some AC4H horse... while in pics it showed all kinds of 'not QT' things going on] to verify the charges for treating the horses' illness. She was yelled and sworn at and never did not get the invoice but instead was banned from the AC4H spots [Yahoo group/Facebook] and harassed via e-mail.

Sorry, based on my personal experience dealing with Christy, I believe every-single-word.

Did she get a refund on the $700 bail price if she never took possession of the horse? If not, does anyone know if she could or is pressing charges?

Sadly, I believe it too, sketcher, just from stories like yours and many others.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I came across this on facebook. You can decide if it's got useful info or not:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/AC4H.Fraud/

Say what?
    I read that the person wanted an itemized invoice from the Vet [probably the same Vet who was QT'ing some AC4H horse... while in pics it showed all kinds of 'not QT' things going on] to verify the charges for treating the horses' illness. She was yelled and sworn at and never did not get the invoice but instead was banned from the AC4H spots [Yahoo group/Facebook] and harassed via e-mail.
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I do believe it happens, and happens more than we might know. But I question this review because the person paid all this money but doesn't say anything about actually paying the vet bill or why they didn't take the horse. Where is the horse? Why don't they have it? That would mean more to me as a person scammed than being sworn at and having to change my email. I wouldn't be posting a review, I would be calling the police.
    RIP Duff - aka The Big Fat Pony

But I question this review because the person paid all this money but doesn't say anything about actually paying the vet bill or why they didn't take the horse. Where is the horse? Why don't they have it? That would mean more to me as a person scammed than being sworn at and having to change my email. I wouldn't be posting a review, I would be calling the police.
    Maybe they don't have the horse because they didn't want to pay what amounted to highway robbery, i.e. "give us more money, don't ask for any accountability, or we won't give you the horse"?
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by englishcowgirl View Post
    Just deal directly with the brokers if you want a PA broker horse. You will have to ask around a bit, but if you are from the region it is not too hard to get in contact with them. It is said that they don't deal with the public but they do. Look in the local papers, they all advertise camp horses and such. That way you can try the horse or and many of these guys even free lease over the winter so you can get a really good try before you buy. Many will even deliver pony to you and will go out and find one that fits your needs if they don't have one that suits you. Dealing directly with them will get you a cheaper price and while horsy is on trial you can get them vetted. This is how I got my little jumper, honesty the hardest part in negotiating the price.
    I am way too far from PA to get a broker horse but this is good to know. The brokers around here (CO) will let you do trials too. I had one let me trade a horse back a year later because he was found to have a health issue that needed lifetime medication. He even kept the price on the horse the same even though he knew the horse would need meds. He is a very honest guy. I would deal with him again.