The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Upper level jumper trainer in Kentucky?

Moving to Kentucky & looking for upper level/grand prix jumper trainer. Any suggestions?

where in kentucky and how far are you willing to travel?
    "Using draw reins without spurs is like going to the bar with no underwear on. You're just waiting to get f***ed."

You looking for a rider to campaign your GP level horse and work with you at that level? Or you have a prospect you need somebody to train up and develope you to ride it? Do you need them at home within an easy drive or can you travel and meet at shows?

That makes a huge difference in who to recommend in this area. There are a few, one in particular, that are certainly elite level and always looking for good ones. There are others better suited to being near home and developing youngsters.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I am thinking of a couple riders/trainers as well but it will depend on your goals, do you need the horse to be in proximity to you or are you willing to travel an hour or two to check up and or ride this horse ? It's great to see that more hunter and jumper people are seeing this as a destination location rather than a place to stop by and show for a few weeks.

My daughter has a GP horse and is competing on him at
    1.30m-1.40m now. Need trainer to work with both her and her horse to try to qualify for young riders next year and to continue to move up. Will be in Lexington and will likely board horse there but willing to trailer for training if necessay. Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Craig Shegog
    http://craigshegog.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

He is truly a wonderful teacher and trainer. My horses love him. Such a gentleman and terrific horseman.

I would second the recommendation for Craig Shegog. Grand Prix level rider/trainer, won the USET finals, great teacher. He has a website with contact info, etc:
    http://craigshegog.sharepoint.com

He sounds like a good choice but is new to the area so am unfamiliar with him. Certainly has the resume for turning out elite level riders. I'd be interested in a visit.

Never hurts to have another iron in the fire, Wilhelm Genn (hope I spelled that right) is about 2 hours from you in Lebanon Ohio, just north of Cincy and right off I71. Consistent top GP money winner, clients like him. He does alot of buy/sell and developing younger horses at/to that level. Good reputation if you are serious.

There are others but, honestly, for top level and YR, those would be the most appropriate to help DD advance.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.