The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Last night I made the mistake of taking a lesson with Kennett Square -- wearing jeans.

Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but if I were to make this a habit, I could end up divorced.

I've preliminarily concluded that in order to ride in jeans one must meet one or more of the following criteria:

1. celibacy;
    2. enjoyment of masochistic sexual practices;
    3. insensitivity (also known as "numb nuts" in gender-specific terms);
    4. imperviousness to pain during urination, or, severe dehydration;
    5. Employment which does not require one to sit or wear tight pantyhose.

Personally, I don't qualify. Breeches may show every bulge but, in my view, my sacrificed vanity is a small price to pay for marital bliss.

Just my opinion . . .

2 members found this post helpful.

Last night I made the mistake of taking a lesson with Kennett Square -- wearing jeans.

Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but if I were to make this a habit, I could end up divorced.

I've preliminarily concluded that in order to ride in jeans one must meet one or more of the following criteria:

1. celibacy;
    2. enjoyment of masochistic sexual practices;
    3. insensitivity (also known as "numb nuts" in gender-specific terms);
    4. imperviousness to pain during urination, or, severe dehydration;
    5. Employment which does not require one to sit or wear tight pantyhose.

Personally, I don't qualify. Breeches may show every bulge but, in my view, my sacrificed vanity is a small price to pay for marital bliss.

Just my opinion . . .

or another brand of stretchy riding jeans are great [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I believe I saw several pairs at the Tack Exchange - SHOPPING TRIP AHEAD! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Hmmm... Inverness... I have been riding in jeans, jeans and half chaps or jeans and chaps for most of my life (except when about to enter the show ring), with no problem.

On the other hand, I am still single... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Could be a connection here! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I think it helps to have grown up riding. It is the 20-30 years worth that desensitizes certian parts. Maybe the brain no longer recognizes Jean pain as worthy of attention. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

what did Ms. Square make you do in your Jeans?? I'd consider suing her and/or the jean manufacturer for loss of "function."

I've been riding for jeans for most of my life and haven't had a problem... Yes, I'm married and, well, never mind.... Yes I wear panty hose to work.

mizzwade
    mizzwade

Your jeans have to be loose or at least very stretchy, and should be made of a soft cotton.

That's a negatory, Flash... Oh wait... I'm the one who is still single... never mind. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Oh I feel your pain. I can clearly remember the chafes and raw skids all down the inside of my legs from jeans. Never ever again!

BTW "Get thee to a nunnery" refers to a house of prostitution not a house of G**. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

I have ridden in jeans and chaps since Day 1. Got a pair of chaps when I turned three. Wore jeans every day of my life til I enter corporate world.

I don't wear baggy jeans under chaps (however, they are not tight enough to enforce a camel toe...think back students to a thread this past spring - do we all remember what a camel toe is?)...However, my chaps days will soon be coming to an end as Saturday, I am picking up my half-chaps at Journeyman's - VTrider is very excited.

Calvin Kleins are great riding jeans (Inverness, go to the White Elephant in Middleburg, that's where I got all my CK riding jeans for $2/pair!)...

Hmmm...if I don't want to end up an old, bitter, wrinkled up, single woman like someone else on this BB, should I start riding in my boots and breeches every day?

[This message was edited by VTrider on Aug. 01, 2001 at 10:53 AM.]

Thanx Hoopoe; there's no telling how many other lines in Hamlet (affectionately, Omelette) I've been misreading for years! LOL! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

I just don't think I can work through the pain to accustom myself to the jeans thing. I wish someone would make loose fitting schooling tights so I wouldn't get so bloody hot in the summer. I love the freedom of movement afforded by tights but I hate wearing tight-fitting clothes of any kind in this heat and humidity.

The search for the ideal summer lesson attire goes on . . .

BTW, Mizzwade, you can just imagine. Lots of sitting trot on a bouncy, bouncy, bouncy horsie.

riding commando. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VTrider:
    Hmmm...if I don't want to end up an old, bitter, wrinkled up, single woman like someone else on this BB, should I start riding in my boots and breeches every day?

DMK, are you just going to TAKE that from her?!

I'm with VT and DMK.... riding in jeans and chaps for years.... still single.... hmmmmmmmmm [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I am not single LOL! My SO wears tighter jeans than I do LOLOL!

Have also encountered a similar condition - though I was riding in breeches and half chaps. Terribly painful and messy (read blood stains). Tried riding with a pantyliner in the hope that it would 'address' the issue. Did not work.

Know that we shrink in height as we age, but do you think other body parts shift, too? I have noticed certain seismic shifts with men...

"Mommy, does it really matter?" - Sumo toddler, age 3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MissXani:
    DMK, are you just going to TAKE that from her?!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh hell, she KNOWS I don't get mad, I just get even... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I almost always wear jeans and chaps when I ride. My jeans are relaxed fit boot cut, so they are fitting but as VTRider pointed out...no Camel Toe action over here. *Shudder* [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    Also, I am technically not single as I have an S/O thats been with me for 7+ yrs.
    Another solution for summer riding attire...why not try kerrits? They are a schooling tight but pretty thin and I don't think they are too tight...you could always get a size bigger. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    \"Donuts. Is there anything they can\'t do?\"
    ~Homer

Dosn't "BOUNCE" make a schooling tight? Are they any cooler than B&B? I see them in cats for Dressage and 3 day equipment.

What about traditional cotton type jods? Do they even make them anymore?

I have always found boots and breeches much cooler than jeans any day of the week. Then of course everyone knows it rains up here every day of the year and never gets above 60* [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

I ride in Tommy jeans with chaps and have never had a problem. When I rode in a pair of Jones NY jeans with my chaps, I developed lovely sores on the inside of both calves - just in time for summer bare legs. My fiance' walked about three steps everywhere we went for a month.

My Tommy's are boot leg cut and don't rub at all - but don't ever try to ride in an english saddle with jeans and no chaps - YOWCH!!!

*Behind every good woman lies a trail of men*