The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just a bit of info I got from some one "in the know"...human tattoo artists use a higher quality ink that it pretty permanent. Vets tend to use ink like race horse tattoos, dog ID, etc. That ink breaks down and disappears over a much shorter period of time.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

1 members found this post helpful.

Does anyone mention what dye they use? I'd imagine some would be better than others. I know some humans who have tattoos that only show up under black lights. That leads me to think there would be some dyes that would be more helpful. For example uv resistant dye ( if it exists). Of course you'd have to research it to make sure the dye itself doesn't cause problems ( ie cancer causing).
    Do football players use reflective "makeup" or do they use absorbing "makeup".

Interesting aside, they are experimenting with a tattoo that changes color according to your sugar or insulin levels for diabetics. I think it also works under black lights.

Default Horse eyeliner practitioner

Hello!
    I just saw your post about horse eyeliner. I am a new practitioner in the field of equine micro-pigmentation. I have been in the tattoo field for 12 years as a teacher/owner of my tattoo schools, The Tattoo Learning Center. (www.tattoolearningcenter.com) I even had my own TV show on TLC ("Tattoo School") in 2011.
    I have thirty years experience as a horse owner.
    I will fly/travel across the USA to your farm for this procedure and will try to keep rates affordable.
    Visit my new page: www.horseeyeliner.com
    I am excited to blend my two passions: tattooing and horses!
    Lisa Fasulo
    518-428-4271

Better yet, do not breed or buy bald-faced horses. (Who wants a horse that looks like a holstein cow!?) Does a fly mask not offer enough protection? That would seem a better solution than an expensive procedure in a delicate area.
    Edited to correct cattle breed. I was thinking of Hereford, and mis-typed Holstein, sorry. Yes I know some people like the bald-faced look, but in selecting it those people should think long-term of how that may affect the breed over time, as the traits selectively bred for are not always in the best interests of the animal or breed.
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; Jan. 18, 2014 at 11:49 PM. Reason: clarity
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    Better yet, do not breed or buy bald-faced horses. (Who wants a horse that looks like a holstein cow!?) Does a fly mask not offer enough protection? That would seem a better solution than an expensive procedure in a delicate area.
    What a rude post.
    Some people actually like the bald faced look and don't think their horse looks like a Holstein cow.
    I would think that if you breed for paints/pintos you always have a chance to get a bald faced horse even if neither parent is bald faced. So should people just not breed paints or pintos? How about sabinos?
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

5 members found this post helpful.

Hereford cattle breeding has placed an emphasis on pigmented faces/udders for the last 20 or more years.
    That pink skin around the eye makes Hereford cattle much more susceptible to what is commonly known as 'cancer eye'. Pink skin on an udder, especially in geographical areas where snow is common at calving time, can result in a cow with a sunburned udder that is so painful she will not allow her calf to nurse.

I think it is completely appropriate to select against white skin on the face of horses.
    I have a small herd of ranch horses, they live outside 24-7, and even with the opportunity to shade up, they will be outside in the sun. Fly masks and sunscreen are not something I am willing to 'manage', to have a horse with sun-sensitive pink skin on its face.

Obviously, some people think it's attractive to have a bald-faced horse. And there are many horses living 'inside' full time, and owners fully willing to put the time and effort into keeping their pink skin out of the sun.

I may be in the minority, but I do believe pink skin around a horse's eyes should be considered an undesirable characteristic in horse breeding.

3 members found this post helpful.

And, to add a thought to the bald-face horse potential problems...
    They are often deaf.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1345730/
    Not all blue-eyed, white faced horses will be deaf, but is another trait that should be considered a genetic fault.
    Doesn't mean you never breed a deaf horse, but there should be selection pressure against the genes that cause deafness in horses.

The equine hospital here will bring in a human tattoo artist to work on the horses. The veterinarians handle the sedation while the tatto is applied.

On the off chance your horse will need an MRI, "Tattoos can hinder an MRI scan depending on the ingredients used in the tattoo ink and the size of the tattoo"

Worth discussing with the vets too.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    Edited to correct cattle breed. I was thinking of Hereford, and mis-typed Holstein, sorry. Yes I know some people like the bald-faced look, but in selecting it those people should think long-term of how that may affect the breed over time, as the traits selectively bred for are not always in the best interests of the animal or breed.
    Then should we stop the breeding of Appy's also?

Quote Originally Posted by M_ View Post
    On the off chance your horse will need an MRI, "Tattoos can hinder an MRI scan depending on the ingredients used in the tattoo ink and the size of the tattoo"

Worth discussing with the vets too.
    I discussed the topic of eye Tattooing with my Vet, regarding my POA who lost one eye to Uveitis and has a chance of developing it in the other eye.

She recommended against the eye tattoo and suggested keeping the "Horseyshade" mask I currently use. Essentially saying they do the same thing to keep the UV Rays at a minimum.