The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I noticed at Upperville that there were many tack stalls beautifully decorated - with wood chips, beautiful tack trunks, flowers, plants, etc.

I also noticed a barn that had decorated in a beach scene - - with plastic pink flamingos and everything -- that seemed to have all been purchased at wal mart. Very tacky, in my opinion.

What is the proper etiquette for decorating tack stalls at horse shows? Do any of your barns do this?

just curious...thanks!

I noticed at Upperville that there were many tack stalls beautifully decorated - with wood chips, beautiful tack trunks, flowers, plants, etc.

I also noticed a barn that had decorated in a beach scene - - with plastic pink flamingos and everything -- that seemed to have all been purchased at wal mart. Very tacky, in my opinion.

What is the proper etiquette for decorating tack stalls at horse shows? Do any of your barns do this?

just curious...thanks!

I heard about the exact tack stall you are referring to, Pewter! Heard it was just awful! An "older AA" friend of mine rides at that barn, and had to "sneak in the stalls" from the back side so nobody would know he was associated with that barn. Can you imagine?

Actually, I think pink flamingoes might be fun, in a tacky sort of way!!! Not sure I would be the one willing to do it, though...

At the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto, they give out prizes to the best decorated stables. These people go all out, I mean I could live in some of the tack stalls that they set up - potted plants, antique furniture, carriage lanterns, videos running of their horses on a little tv, photo albums on a table, one farm had a FOUNTAIN ...the whole nine yards, it's Martha Stewart invades the show grounds! I always marvel at them. Usually I have enough trouble just getting myself, horse and all assorted equipment etc. to the show ground!!

I suppose if you have that big of a stable, you could organize a "decorating crew". I suppose it's only limited to your imagination.

Sounds like someone was doing a harmless spoof?

There is no "proper" etiquette.

Pink flamingoes on a beach scene sounds like lot's of fun! Obviously the people who did it, didn't think it was tacky so who cares what anyone else thinks?

My barn's rather boring - just the normal bench, wood chips, chairs, curtains w/ framed photos of us (the riders) and blah blah blah, all the normal stuff. When I get my own barn, it's going to be so much better!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Speaking of pictures, one year, the Chapots had their favorite "crash scene" pictures on the walls of their tack room - Old ones of Frank, Mary, Wendy, Laura, and their clients, too (Joy Carrier, for one). I thought it was hysterical and nice to see someone at that level doesn't take themselves too seriously. But there were a lot of tsk tsks, and I havent seen that display since. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Haha Carusa!

Well, if yall are upset about the Flamingo's, I bet you wouldn't approve of our Halloween "C" show down here at the Fairgrounds! One barn even set up a graveyard with all of their trainer's names on the tombstones! Hahaha [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Sure, it might be a little tacky but its a lot of fun! And since we're up til 10:00 at the grounds getting our horses bedded down, a lot of the barns put out candy and let us go Trick-Or-Treating around the grounds! Its a blast! Of course, none of the costumes are too original-most people seem to be dressed as riders for some odd reason.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

One time at Halloween I dressed my pony up as a motorcycle, and I was a biker chic from the 80's... LOL. We put big cardboard wheels on his legs, and made him a little headband with head lights on it... it was so cute!! *G*

Tack rooms MUST give out free food and it HAS to be good.

[This message has been edited by Flash44 (edited 06-16-2000).]

Actually Upperville did have a lot of nicely decorated stalls this year, and the beach scene one was fantastic. It was very creative and unique, and some people put a lot of hard work and creativity to make it that way! There is no set rule.....stalls can be decorated as you wish...matter of fact next year at Upperville you may be able to attend your favorite discotech after horse showing....just you wait and see!!!!

Alright, Good to Go....I get it now. You went to Wal Mart WITH the trainer to decorate the beach scene...or did you just happen to have those pink flamingos hanging out in your front yard? LOL!

Actually, Colin, I think Good to Go stole those pink flamingos from Moesha's front yard!

Hey Good to Go -- is the rumor true that you were bathing in the little plastic wading pool that was part of that beach scene tack room decoration?

The Beach Theme has been done for many many years by the same barn. It seems to work for them. Maybe next year they'll have wave machine too?

Skinny dipping would be more accurate.....Good to Go must have had a few too many margaritas....she did seem very..uh...refreshed, after her "swim"!

One of those city that are big towns, real big!,San Antonio TX

Ohh stall seens. I love walking around to see them especialy the winter shows with the Xmass sceen. Sometimes they are overdone but this one realy caught my my eye. It had a fire place with one of those electric fake logs and a bras screen with hosrses runing wiled and ontop of the mantel were tones of pics and trophyes from the show. on the otherside were 2 rocking chares that were very calonial and a table between them with a light and cookies and oh on the mantel were embroiderd stockings with actual pics of each horse and there name. The mother who did it realy did a good job. Then there was tree garland and white lights decorateing the top ars of the isle and on each stall was a wreath that had little wood gigures with the horses name embroiderd on a ribion that draped threw the midle. It was soo prit and butifuly done. Oh How I like tastfull scenes.
    \"I\'m going to go see a horse about a man\" - Unknown

Pink Flamingos - GASP!!!! Geez, lighten up!! It sounds like a hoot and a great way to break a little show tension. Not to mention how good the wading pool feels on your toes when you pull those hot boots off [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I hope life jackets were available! Hey Ben & Me- do you remember the girl on the gray & white pony in the costume class?
    She dressed herself & pony as cows & wore the sign "EET MOR CHIKIN" It was a hoot!!

just so you know, they were parrots NOT flamingos, we werent allowed to put up flamingos
    ~hahaha Good to GO, we'll have a smoke and bubble machine, and a strobe light......!