The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

This has always been my nemesis! What do you wear, especially to show in?

Does anyone still wear "underalls?" I would love to have some input.
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

This has always been my nemesis! What do you wear, especially to show in?

Does anyone still wear "underalls?" I would love to have some input.

I just do the "granny panty" thing. You still get a line under the butt, but at least it looks better than the bikini line I would have otherwise.

Quinn I found some no-line panties at Bakers Saddlery...I think they were designed for DQ's but they're pretty neat. Double lined but really comfortable...only drawback is they look like Granny pants.

Are you too old for a thong? lol*

[This message has been edited by Canter (edited 11-10-2000).]

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Been a thong-wearer since they were invented. Those who are uncomfortable wearing them are wearing ones that are too small.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Bebe Guest

Yikes...

Thong whilst I am riding? Talk about annoying... I just wear regular underwear... besides.. you can kinda tell who's wearing a thong or not.. panty lines are sooo normal in Canada... You can kinda tell who's wearing a thong or not...

Bebe

I do have the solution. I actually found them on the internet. Everyone at the barn was "agast", that I found them on the internet. I can't remember but I will try to find the right link.
    They are like 6 pr. for $8.00 or something, but they are all cotton with no elastic at the leg like granny pants (we all know how that rubs in the heat)instead these have a band that sits on your leg kind of like "hot pants". The end result no panty lines.

[This message has been edited by JRG (edited 11-10-2000).]

I don't think I'd be comfy in a thong anytime much less while riding and after seeing a friend get rubbed raw!! (could see the blood stains thru the back of her buff jeans between the pockets) would not be anxious to try it. Ouch!

Thongs really aren't that hard to ride in.

A friend of mine wears panty horse under her breeches to solve the panty line problem.

Too funny... the "panty line" under breeches thing makes me nuts too! Several years ago, I discovered the solution for me was to wear "compression" shorts underneath my breeches. My local workout/athletic gear store carries them. They are knee length, and made of a light weight lycra/cotton/coolmax blend. They are snug enough not to ride up my thigh but not so tight as to feel like I'm in a girdle. They have no center seam, and are designed to be worn in place of underwear. I find them really comfortable, and as an additional benefit, they give my thighs and lower back a little extra support. I started wearing them for the "look" and find that my legs and back are a lot less tired at the end of a horse show.

So how do they look?? Well, my husband made one of his rare appearance at the hunter ring (which he calls the watching-paint-dry competition) this year to watch me horse show. At one point he cornered me with this bemused and hopeful look on his face and actually asked me if I was wearing anything under my breeches! "What would possibly give you that idea?", I asked. "Well, you're the only one here who doesn't have any underwear lines" came his response. Rolling my eyes, I explained about the compression shorts and watched as the hope slowly ebbed from his expression.....

[This message has been edited by Alida (edited 11-10-2000).]

Way to funny Alida!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I prefer the thong way myself, If you get the really comfortable soft cotton ones, (not to small) they're really comfortable. And you don't have that self concious feeling and underwear picking.
    As for People will "know", who cares....life must be pretty boring to care what the competition has under their jods. hee,hee As long as your comfortable and happy.
    Live what you love, Love what you do.

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

Oooh, what to do with a husband with pantylines? I so hated the panty lines under my husband's breeches that I ended up buying him many, many pairs of cotton knit boxers from Joe Boxer. I also bought him a thong http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/eek.gif He wears the boxers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heidi:
    Oooh, what to do with a husband with pantylines? I so hated the panty lines under my husband's breeches that I ended up buying him many, many pairs of cotton knit boxers from Joe Boxer. I also bought him a thong http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/eek.gif He wears the boxers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOVE Joe Boxer! My sister in law was production manger for them in San Francisco until recently getting lured away by Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic corp. So needless to say, ALL of my undies are Joe Boxer~ love em! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] SUZ
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

I did the underall thing for horseshow no problem, but then I wore them a couple of times foxhunting, and , well, never again!!! The seam up the back of the panty-hose, from crotch to waiste, rubbed me raw! I guess it was a combination of persperation and friction and time-in-the-saddle that wasn't a problem for horse shows with breaks between rounds, but with 4-plus non-stop hours foxhunting it was an entirely different story! I'd rather have pantylines than be rubbed raw any day.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Gross, CFS!

Yes, you occasionally need to wear thongs in a larger size than you would normal undies. I'll have to try the compression shorts thing if they really help your back. I have been having lower back problems lately.

My husband's legs are so skinny that the bike shorts he wears under his soccer shorts are almost baggy.

VTrider: What the hay are panty horse? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Alida, "compression" shorts sound like just the thing. I will call around today. Do you not get a line though just above the knee?

I too have tried a thong but really didn't like that experience. And, I have tried the granny undies. I wore a new pair for my lesson last week and started to laugh when I looked down and saw a bunched up mass of underwear ABOVE my breeches waistband! Oh yeah, that's a pretty picture. Thanks for the suggestions, this has always made me crazy and hopefully now I can say I have solved one of my major issues.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quinn:
    VTrider: What the hay are panty horse? Sorry, couldn't resist.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL - Sorry - PANTY HOSE - Guess I have horse on the brain..I am leaving for a show in 10 minutes....

New York, NY (a.k.a. The City and Center of the Universe), Canada (T.O.) and England (Kent Countrysi

A most excellent topic! I too tried the thong thing (being a devout user during office hours) under TS. By the end of the lesson, I'm pretty sure with a bit of extra effort I could have blown those things out of my nose! It almost took minor surgery to remove and I consider myself lucky to have survived to tell my fellow BBers.

Congrats to anyone that can consistently ride in them.....you should receive the Strongest Butt Cheeks award [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Many receipients appear to be Canadian too...perhaps I need to revisit my roots and I too could declare "I HAVE NO PANTYLINES, MY THONG RULES". Until then my friends, its granny pants for me.

Okay Maz, I don't know about blowing thongs out through the nose but I know I just blew coffee out mine when I read your post. Too funny. I only rode in a thong once but I can certainly "mirror" your experience.

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAZ:

Many receipients appear to be Canadian too...perhaps I need to revisit my roots and I too could declare "I HAVE NO PANTYLINES, MY THONG RULES". Until then my friends, its granny pants for me.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's because many of us used to buy them at Marks & Spencers; alas they are no more.