The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default getting into limited distance rides?

OK I've always wanted to try out some of the shorter rides, and I finally have a horse who can do it. He's an endurance-bred Arab, and while he can be super lazy, as he's getting more fit, he has a lot more go. I think he's starting to enjoy it too.

Right now I'm just starting to get to the point where I can ride more than a couple times a week, but he gets fit so easily he can already do 8 miles at a trot and canter with just short walk breaks, and when I come back he could easily go out again. I'm trying to build him up slowly, so I've not pushed him so he doesn't start to think that long rides aren't fun.

What kind of fitness program should I be looking at to get him to where he could do a 25-mile ride in decent time? Without being beat at the end of course.

Here are a couple of articles that are chock full of information you can use:

http://www.seraonline.org/Conditioning.pdf

http://www.endurance.net/newbie/

Best of luck! Sounds like your horse could do one now.

If your horse is already doing that easily, you could do an LD now

Be mindful not to overtrain, which I think is the biggest mistake new endurance riders make. A couple rides a week with turnout in between is sufficient for 50's and 100's also, you just have to make the rides count.

A GPS can be really helpful to track mileage and keep an eye on speed averages. Sounds like you are well on your way! What is your horse's breeding?

Not overtrain, you mean distance-wise, or frequency of rides? I only really get to ride him 3 times a week right now. I can push that to 4 if I need to. Work is just kicking my butt. He's out 24/7, so cant up the turnout

This is his pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/ea+kashmir

Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    Not overtrain, you mean distance-wise, or frequency of rides? I only really get to ride him 3 times a week right now. I can push that to 4 if I need to. Work is just kicking my butt. He's out 24/7, so cant up the turnout

This is his pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/ea+kashmir

Thanks for the links, I will check them out.
    Not overtrain like both Back in the day it was suggested you ride the amount of miles, per week, that you planned to ride in competition. For an LD this might not be a big deal for for 50+ you are doing too much! Three times a week is completely enough. He needs those in between rest days to rebuild.

I love his heavy Polish breeding and the Sambor. Can't wait to hear about your adventures

Oh at this point we are doing maybe 20 miles a week on a heavy week. And I don't often ride more than 2 days in a row, if even 1 day in a row.

I did push him a little yesterday and did 7 miles, probably 3 at a good canter, 3 trotting, with some hills. I had to push him a hair towards the end (he's lazy when out by himself when he gets a bit tired), but within a few minutes of being back he was breathing normally.

Now to try to find something close by to try to aim for. I am in the middle of NOWHERE.