The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet when lunging?

Voters
223. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, always

24 10.76%
  • nope

118 52.91%
  • sometimes

81 36.32%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you wear a helmet when lunging?

I used to not think about it, mostly because I was lunging relatively sane horses. I am now working a rather rambunctious 6yr old for his owner a few times a week.

My first time working with him was sunday and my helmet was back in my cat (till I ran to grab it to hop on at the end). I sort of regretted it since the lunging involved lots of airs above the ground (18hh of horse rearing or bucking is really really big). Of course, I came home and lunged my girl with no helmet because she never does anything more than spook a bit and I never think about it. Today, the giant got lunged again and I made a conscious effort to remember my helmet. Of course, since I actually bothered with it he was quite good after he got out his initial buck, hop, charge.

So do you guys wear your helmets with lunging or not so much? Why?

Yes, because I'm usually lunging just before I ride. So it's easier to already have my half-chaps and helmet on so I don't have to fool with those when I'm finished lunging.

If I were only planning to do groundwork I probably wouldn't, but I think it's an excellent idea. For the reasons you mentioned, and because I've known several people to get their bells rung when a horse slung its head and unintentionally clonked them one.

When I first had horses I wore a helmet anytime I was handling them. But people like the vet and the farrier would look at me and my helmet with an expression like, OMG what ill-mannered beasts does this woman have? So I stopped. But I still think it's not a bad idea.

Yes. I put my helmet on when I get to the barn, and take it off right before I leave. Because you never know what's going to happen in between.

Depends on who I'm lunging. If it's my middle aged gelding, no. He never even let's out a buck. He would rather do the least work possible. My younger guy, I wear a helmet always, even on hand walks. He has a tendency to get anxious away from his buds and has been known to rear/spin and forget about my safety when he's upset. He has gotten a lot better, but I really like my brain and prefer my face to be intact.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Depends on who I am working. Young, ditzy, silly, or disrespectful horses- always. Older, well behaved not as likely to kick me in the head horses, not so much, although it is probably a good idea.

If I am riding the horse after I always have my helmet as pAin't said as it's easier just to be dressed. Generally speaking, I like to lunge & do ground work with the silly, ditzy, disrespectful horses before I get on so the helmet is worn a lot, actually.

Don't own a helmet, but don't have a problem with those who do. That being said, if you need a helmet to handle a horse from the ground either;

A) You don't need to be handling said horse.

B) Said horse should be on meat wagon.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

I only wear it when Im lunging a rambunctious horse or one that tends to disobey (bucks, rears, bolts, etc) on the lunge. I wear gloves too.

Helmet and gloves. Thank you, USPC.

Because of my (relatively advanced) age, I try now to minimize risk wherever possible. A helmet is an easy thing to do, even just lunging, so I always wear one.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Another helmet and gloves person while lunging here. And a properly dressed horse, too (bridle or cavesson, circingle or saddle, side reins, boots.)

In my case, thank you BHS.

always gloves... helmet... only for hot / unruly horses.

If I'm lunging with the expectation or possibility of riding after, then yes.

If I'm lunging a horse quickly in a halter to evaluate soundness, then no.

Gloves always. Always always always. My hands are already destroyed enough thank you very much.

Helmets really depend on the situation.
    For my middle aged gelding it wouldn't even occur to me. He's the type that I would pay to see buck. A year of time off, large paddocks and lots of lunging and I've NEVER seen him kick up his heels at all.
    My old pony on the other hand has impeccable ground/lunging manners but really likes to let loose on the lunge, so I generally try to wear one. Part of it is that I'm at a barn with a lot of kids, so while I have no fears for my own safety I'm very concerned about them picking up habits.
    Any other horse I do wear a helmet unless it's really out of the blue. Some of the craziest horses I've ever lunged were school horses. At the age of 12 I was almost killed by a friend's 12hh POA on the lunge when she decided she'd had enough so I know to never judge a book by its cover.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bee View Post
    Don't own a helmet, but don't have a problem with those who do. That being said, if you need a helmet to handle a horse from the ground either;

This is pretty much my thinking too.

Usually I do

Like others have said, its convenient to wear it because I usually ride right afterwards. I've only not worn it occasionally, when I've decided to just do ground work or it was monstrously hot, but having a 7YO mare (who believes she's going on 2) who sometimes likes to demonstrate her athletic abilities in inconvenient ways, I like to put my helmet on just in case

I rarely longe at all and if I do I tend to get right on, so yes. Other times I might longe would be when starting a young horse, in which case it is just smart to toss on the old helmet. They are just getting used to things like a saddle with stirrups flapping, so kicking out here and there, while not preferred, would not be unexpected or anything to write home about.

I disagree that having a horse for which it is smart to wear a helmet around on the ground is a problem. I don't wear a helmet because I expect to get kicked, I wear one because Sh!t happens around horses. I've never been kicked longeing, in decades of training youngsters, but that doesn't mean I never will.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    I rarely longe at all and if I do I tend to get right on, so yes. Other times I might longe would be when starting a young horse, in which case it is just smart to toss on the old helmet. They are just getting used to things like a saddle with stirrups flapping, so kicking out here and there, while not preferred, would not be unexpected or anything to write home about.

I disagree that having a horse for which it is smart to wear a helmet around on the ground is a problem. I don't wear a helmet because I expect to get kicked, I wear one because Sh!t happens around horses. I've never been kicked longeing, in decades of training youngsters, but that doesn't mean I never will.
    This. I also only longe with a bridle. NEVER EVER with a halter.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bee View Post

Or you aren't dealing with live cover, stallions and young horses just being started and are fairly ignorant of the dangers that such horses can present.

I know that when I am holding a one ton with a one ton + stallion mounting her, I am dam glad to have a helmet on.

I know that when I take a young stallon out of the pasture, who hasn't been lunged in six months and he gleefully runs and bucks while on the lunge for that first minute and suddenly swoops in fast towards me before I have a chance to correct him -I am glad I have the common sense to have a helmet on.

But each to their own, I know I won't be selling any of my horses to someone who thinks that such a horse should be on the "meat wagon."
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

If I am going to ride right afterward, yes. Otherwise, generally not. I typically do not handle horses with behavior issues that would require one although I do realize that any horse can act up at any time. Most of my lunge-line injuries have been to my hands so I ALWAYS, always wear gloves.

Well said Cielo Azure and Fordtraktor. You need to be prepared for the unexpected even with horses that are generally quiet. 2bee, your meat wagon comment is downright scary.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique